Tapering Question

Hi all

I am doing my 2nd marathon at York in 3 weeks time (14th October) I am trying to get sub 4 hours, i did Liverpool earlier on in the year but it went wrong due to injuries, and i got 4 Hours 20 mins.

Anyways Training has been going really well the last few months and the last last 3 long runs (which i do on a saturday) have been 20 miles, 20 miles and yesterday i did 21 Miles. The time for my 21 miles was 3 Hours so i am well on course for sub 4.

Tapering is worrying me a little because according to most of the plans i have seen, yesterday should be my last long run. Next weekend (2 weeks before Race) i am already in a half marathon race so i am committed to that, so i am thinking of doing that at a faster than marathon pace. The week after that (week before race) i do not know what to do.

The last 3 long runs have all been weekly and i feel like i should do another long ish run (18 miles) week before as over the last long runs i have felt great and think i should not change the way i am doing things. I mean if i can run 20 miles then week after run 21 miles im obliviously not tiring and feel ok.

I am only talking about the longer runs here, the mid week runs i will start to knock down a little as im currently averaging 40 miles a week.

Is there anyone else that does a longish run week before marathon? it just feel like 3 weeks between last long run and race day is to long

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm also doing Yorkshire and did 22 as my last long run yesterday. I am doing a half on Saturday which I will run at mp. I hope with a warm up and cool down that will be 17 miles in total. The final Sunday I will do 10-12 miles at very easy pace. 

Cramming for a marathon during taper won't help you. I know plenty that'll do 20 2 weeks out so you could make your half a 20 but not the Sunday before. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Doing another long run won't help you at all. Training takes about 3 weeks to have any effect.

Run your half marathon next week then an easy 10 miler the week before Abingdon.