Options

Yorkshire Marathon

2»

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I agree guys. I based myself at the David Lloyd gym just up the road but had I not had that facility I think the post race period would have been very uncomfortable. However, London just has a park afterwards. It is difficult to provide that facility on a large scale event.

I ran a 5 minute pb to just sneak under 3 hours. I thought it was a very fast course personally. The  climb back in on the out and back didn't feel quite as uphill as I was anticipating from running down it and the hill at the end I was dreading but it was over pretty quickly. The last 6 miles were almost exclusively flat or downhill just when you need it!

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Very well done on the PB, DT - is that your first sub 3 then?  Brilliant running.

I didn't do too well as I had a "toilet issue" at the start so was in the "portaloo of doom" when the race started, which put me way behind the 4:30 pacer - that put me in a bad mood from the start!  I got through that and eventually got through the 4hr pacer (the bus for which seemed huge!), and then finished in 3:43 which I was happy enough with as it felt quite comfortable.

I can see it's a great event and I'd do it again.  York is a great city for a weekend break, and I can see why the race itself is so popular - I didn't have the best of runs, but that's not fault of the organisers :)  
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The toilet queues were a bit poor mind, if I were to level a criticism. Yes, it's no good start something like a marathon in the wrong frame of mind!!

Yes 2.59.54 to just sneak under for first time.

I have corrected the elevation on strava and it comes out 589 feet, so over a marathon that is 22 feet per mile, which is pretty flat.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    DT, yeah, my Strava has it at around 600ft, which as you say is pretty flat.  From memory, that's in the same ball park as London I think, and that's considered flat.

Well done on getting under the 3hrs.  Was you nervous at any point as 5 seconds didn't leave much wiggle room, or did you know you had it in the bag?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    no, I knew it was going to be close from about 16 miles. In fact at that point I just assumed I would fade a bit and miss. When I got to 23 miles and still had a minute in the bag and was starting to slow I was stressed out completely. I was convinced that final hill would crush me. I had to stop looking at my watch due to the stress and just ran blind doing the best I could. It was only when I could see the finish clock in the distance with about 200 to go I saw it was still on and i sprinted for my life. I ran the last 0.2 miles at 5.08mm average. I passed a couple of poor sods in teh final 100m that couldnt sprint and came in seconds after the 3 hours.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Wow!  Does that make it even sweeter then, knowing you left it all out there?  Excellent running to get through that major time goal!  In case you're not aware, there is a Sub 3 Facebook group that is pretty good and quite active.

I was looking for a club mate in the results and saw someone with a time of 4:00:01 - ouch!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes I think now I can relax about it, it is a touch more satisfying in a strange way than cruising in for 2.57 or thereabouts. 

yes I recently joined that in the build up to this mara thanks. 
  • Options
    Ran this marathon, was my 2nd marathon and was going for a sub 4..managed to get 3.47 so i am well pleased. Apart from around mile 9 where there was a sheepish incline i did not didn't it that hilly.
  • Options
    Hi, just wondering if anyone on here was giving this a go in 2019?
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it!
  • Options
    Have you done it before MrM2?
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm in, my local so this will be my 5th time at York.

• Options
    Also, has anyone got any idea why I can't edit my profile on here? Trying to add a photo but no joy.
  • Options
    Sounds like you're an experienced campaigner Wardi. How's the training going (or is it too early for that?)
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Liam.. there are some things on here that you can't do until you have logged 10 posts - might be something to do with that?
    I've run both the Barcelona & London marathons this year so I'm having a lower mileage break for a few weeks before building up to York.  I normally do 50-70 mpw when marathon training and now I'm a V60 I can't bang out big miles all year sadly.  :/
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Liam...No, I haven't run this one before, but they are hosting the Masters this year (as Chester did last year, which I ran as an M70+). So, as a new 75+ it would add another dimension of interest, but it's a long way to travel. Hence the hesitation.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I'm in. Local for me. Will be my fifth time here (only marathons I've run) and as with the other efforts aiming for sub 4. Achieved it three times, missed out once.

Recommended. 
  • Options
    Emma 23Emma 23 ✭✭
    See you in Yorkshire
  • Options
    Wardi - thanks for that. I'll have to think of some nonsense to post to get my numbers up. I don't blame you having a lower mileage period having already got two maras under the belt this year!

MrM2 - I can only hope I'm in a position to be even thinking about entering a marathon when I'm in that age category. Impressive stuff.

Donnie2 - Thanks for that. It's fairly local for me too so seems to make the most sense. Best of luck with your sub 4 effort!!

Emma 23 - see you there!!

I'm just ticking over in terms of training at the moment ahead of starting an 18 week P&D plan next month. Has anyone on here got much experience of P&D and if so how did you find it?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm in. Did Chester last year like MrM2, which I loved, but I'm trying to avoid repeating too many races (seeing as I've done Manchester and Liverpool three times apiece). Variety being the spice of life and all that.
    While I'm a Londoner, my dad was from Yorkshire, so that's another reason I'd like to run it.
    If anyone has any tips or insight regarding the course, I'd be grateful.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi Cal, there are a couple of minor climbs in the first half, nothing too onerous.  From roughly 13-19m there is an out & back on the A166 which can play with your mind though it doesn't bother me too much really.  The slight sting in the tail is a hill just before the end (25.5m) which isn't too steep, just a bit of a 250m grind at the end of the marathon.  You do get a nice 400m downhill to the finish though! 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks Wardi. Chester has a hill near the end (about 24.5 miles I think) so it's not too different. Hopefully it won't piss with rain this year!
  • Options
    Any recommendations of where to stay the night before for out-of-towners?
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    There are shuttle buses from the Railway Station on the morning of the race so you can take your pick from any hotel/B&B near the centre.  The buses do bring you back to the centre after the race.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I am staying in the nearest Travelodge. (That's assuming I get to the start...I've not even started training yet due to injury and a bout of shingles).