Berlin Marathon 2019

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I've heard a few complaints about the organisation but I had no issues,there were some massive toilet queues,but behind my bag drop there were toilets with queues no more than 10 people.I was at the back of my pen and struggled to get into a pace for a couple of miles but it was all good after that,it probably helped me avoid going off too fast.
  • The organisation seemed ok, but the thing that really let me down was the crowd. Outside of the 'performers' set up by the event organisers, and some excellent American supporters, it was pretty quiet.

Might put it down to the rain, but thought Brighton earlier in the year (for example) was much better support.
  • It was my first marathon, and I was aiming for sub-5, which I managed with three minutes to spare. Ran through a deep puddle quite early so had squelching feet for the next few hours. The rain made it difficult, but I'd have struggled more in the sun, I think. Felt a lot of sympathy for the guy I saw who had collapsed within sight of the Brandenburg Gate.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Question about the wave starts.. a clubmate of mine in the sub 3:30 pen didn't get away until 10.10am - nearly an hour after the start!  Is this normal, and what time did the 4-5 hour pens get away?  I was in the sub 3:30 pen at VLM and to think I was miffed at taking 7 minutes to get over the line! :o
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Wardi, I was in the sub-3:30 pen (pen E) and got away a few seconds after that pen started (9:25).  Just for info, 10:10 was the official start time of the very last pen, and as far as I know the start pens started like clockwork.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Thanks Big G, in that case he must have been dumped in the last pen in error - he's a 17.20 Parkrunner!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Was he a first time marathoner?  I read somewhere that all first timers were put in the last pen...
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The organisation seemed ok, but the thing that really let me down was the crowd. Outside of the 'performers' set up by the event organisers, and some excellent American supporters, it was pretty quiet.

Might put it down to the rain, but thought Brighton earlier in the year (for example) was much better support.

The 'level' of support was exactly why I loved Berlin - good but not over the top so you could concentrate on your race. Obviously we all want different things from the crowd but I thought it was spot on. Such a shame about the weather though which would have had an effect.

I ran it in 2015 and the weather was perfect..sunny, still and went from about 5-10 degrees during the race - so much luck involved with marathons...even if you have prepared well.

Wardi  - Regarding the pens - you need to beg them at the expo to move you up. I took my Reading half result to show them as I was in pen F. She said she could do anything, but then came back and put a pen B sticker on my number. So basically I had a very lucky weekend.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Simon, yeah, I found it ideal from that point of view as well.  My other half managed to get around and see me 6 times, which I think would be impossible at London due to all the crowds/spectators. She said the app was fantastic as it showed where I was, plus also showed where she was, and so she was able to act accordingly.  She'd planned to see me 5 times, but squeezed an extra stop in due to the app being so good.

I have to say, I loved the race.  I think it's my favourite "big" event now.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    2.48.05 for me, a PB by 5.12.

Saw RunSpoonRun on the course, gave him a big shout out!

Have to say I loved the crowds but thought the organisation was poor. The number collection system was worse than London. Also on race day loading the Pens from the front was stupid, no one was moving back so it was impossible to get in. No idea why the 3 hour pacer was at the front of the 2.50-3.00 pen! 

Even saying that I would definitely do it again, hopefully in better weather!
  • Don't get me wrong, it's up there in terms of best races for me, just didn't think support from the locals was that good.

Totally agree on the app. My wife and friends wife were chasing both of us around the course and saw us both 3 times despite a nearly 2 hour difference in finishing time. Once I finished I started tracking him, and it was pretty much perfect and continuously tracking.

Hope everyone's legs are feeling ok today!
  • You must be well chuffed with that Stevie, well done!  
    I assume you didnt have any issues with congestion at your end of the race? I found relaxed running difficult up to at least 10 miles due to runners going at a much slower pace than the expected 3:30-3:50 that the pen indicated. So many must have either declared a 'best time' that was not quite accurate or they had no intention of running at that pace. Disappointing really.
    I did really enjoy the run though. Do you think the people who put hosepipes up had a dark sense of humour?

• Bob I had horrendous traffic issues for the first 10k, was 90s down on 2.45 pace so the app was predicting me a 2.52 apparently! I thought the pens were allocated on PB's but I guess those could be years old. Haha I thought that when I saw them although I didn't get the proper rain until the last 10k
  • Also, you didnt have to prove your PB, it was all done on trust. I cant understand why people put themselves into pens when they know they arent going to run at that pace. I think races like Boston are so much better where you are running alongside people of the same pace. On narrower roads and a field that was just as packed, I cant rememberhaving to do any dodging or baulking. As frustrating as I found it at 3:40 pace, it must be horrendous for you sub 3 runners where there is less time to react and look for gaps. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Bob, I’m a bit confused by that as when I entered it asked me for the URL/results of the time I said I could do. Or was it possible to bypass that?  In the mag or somewhere on the site it said all first timers would be in the last pen, so I’d assumed times were validated. 

I was at the start of Pen E and had a pretty clear run, finishing in 3:27. Cups at aid stations are annoying, but I fear that’s the way these big races are going. 
  • I don't recall ever submitting evidence Big G, although I wouldnt trust my memory, and I'm sure I read somewhere that it is based on trust. However, if I am wrong, which is quite likely, I cannot see the point of entering a pen if you have no intention of running at or close to your fastest. If you just want an easy run and enjoy the sights and the day, take a few photos, stop for a chat etc that's great but just drop back a block.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Bob, I'm not so sure now.  I have just looked at the ballot entry for this year and it definitely has a place to put a race result URL.  I know I entered that URL last year, and my start card also had that race time associated with it, so I had assumed it was validated.  However, the FAQs do indeed make it sound like there's some trust involved, although it does say that thing about first time marathoners.  From the FAQs:
    - The starting blocks are organised by your best- or expected time (related to half or marathon times), as you stated on your registration.
    - If this is your first marathon race, you will start in the last block (Block H).
    - All participants deserve a fair race, so please be honest when you provide your race times on your registration, and enter the correct block on race day!

So in summary, I'm not 100% sure now!  Anyway, I enjoyed it.  Just debating with myself whether to enter the ballot again for next year.
  • Well done everyone. Definitely not the best conditions for a marathon. Don’t look at the forecast for this Sunday, the weather is set to be perfect - typical! :(

My race didn’t go as I hoped, and I finished in 2:53:35. I still enjoyed it though, it’s a great course and I felt the support was perfect - plenty of it, but not quite as overwhelming as London can be. Thanks to Stevie for the shout, you passed me during a tough point and it encouraged me to crack on.

Frustrating about slower runners in the wrong block. I started from the middle of block B and didn’t really have any issues, although I did pass a couple of people who were clearly in the wrong start. I suspect they don’t verify times (except maybe right at the front).

• No worries RSR, great time as well, especially if things didn't go to plan. How were the vaporflys in the rain? My On's don't seem to offer any grip and I was definitely in a minority not in Vaporflys!
  • MandMMandM ✭✭✭

Congrats to all of you who managed to complete successfully and some of you managed a PB, wow. It feels so good to read all the success stories here. I found it so motivational that I felt that I must put planning hat on, especially book accommodation while the prices are probably lower. As most of you aware that I had to postpone my entry until next year.

I would be grateful if you could let me know where you stayed/would you recommend staying and what tips you recommend assisting me planning for this wonderful event?

Looking forward to reading your feedback

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    MandM, sorry to hear about you having to postpone.

I'd never been to Berlin before and loved it, and stayed off Kurfürstendamm, which is one of the main streets in Berlin (the race goes down this road towards the finish).  I booked my hotel privately and I'd stay in that area again as a) it had loads of restaurants a 5-min walk away and b) there was an S-Bahn (overground train) to one of the main stations near the race start.  The station I travelled to the race from was Savignyplatz, which was a few stops from Berlin Hauptbahnhof, which is the Central station.  It's then about a 10-min walk from there to the start.  After the race I was through the finish and back at the hotel in an hour, and I didn't especially rush.

In terms of planning, I hadn't actually planned this as I wasn't aware of the Expo opening times when I booked it all, but I managed to get to the Expo on Thursday afternoon (on way from airport to hotel), which was pretty quiet.  I was talking to people over the weekend who said there were big queues on the Friday, but I suppose there are peak times.

Depending on how long you're going for and you want to see some sights, I'd recommend the "Welcome Card".  You can get 2, 3, 4, 5 day travel tickets, which also give money off 200+ attractions.  (Having said that, our cards weren't checked at all on the actual transport system...).  You can buy these at the airport with no issues.  You don't have to worry about transport on the day, as race numbers allow you to use the transport system all day (again not checked at all though).

Of course it's the usual advice about getting there early as toilets had queues etc.  Take loo roll as they were running out in some cases.

Also, there is the option of choosing a poncho (amusingly called a "multi-faceted cape" in the magazine, which you pick up at the finish), or dropping off a bag at the start.  Once you choose one option, you can't change your order.  I went for the poncho for the first time ever, and it worked well for me.  If you do go for the poncho, maybe take some old clothes and a disposable poncho/bin bag incase it's raining which you can throw away before the start.  These get picked up after the race.  If you go for a poncho but later decide you want to store a bag, there are lockers (€6 a day) at Hauptbahnhof station, but I don't know how quickly these may get taken.  The ponchos are reusable and have the logos on, but they're not especially warm - i.e., they're not lined or anything, and some runners in them looked very cold.  But I'd still use that option if I'm lucky enough to do the race again.

If you're having support on the course, the app was very good for spectators.  My other half told me where she was going to try and spot me, and we spotted each other each time - 6 times in total.  She has said that if we go again, she wouldn't do 6 times as it was tiring!!  She even got close to the Brandenburg Gate, and I stopped briefly for a pic with the runners running under that iconic monument.
  • Super flat course alright. Good for a pb, good for having family see you. Being able to have your own drinks table is good but I'd imagine you'd need to stop to find the exact one even if u had something to highlight it. 
  • Having thought about it twice before, but not gone ahead with it, this time I have decided to apply in the ballot for next years Berlin Marathon. From what I have read the odds are not good for being successful in the ballot, but they are a lot better than the odds for the London marathon ballot. I am sure that once the results come out that the scramble for hotel rooms will be manic. Therefore I am thinking of booking something on Bookings.com in advance. I just wondered if anyone could recommend what area/s of Berlin to book for? Also how many days should you book? Friday to Monday? Only marathon I have done before is London, so I have not had the challenge of flying before running a marathon and therefore not sure how far in advance is best to get there.
  • Hi Nick, you'll love it if you get in. I'd say you've got about a 50/50 chance in the ballot. Took me two goes.

I originally booked Fri-Mon but changed to Thurs-Mon because of the BA strike. Think you need to arrive at least early Friday in order to get to the Expo. Having said that apparently it was quieter on Saturday this year. (Thursday was very quiet, Friday a nightmare!) The flying itself isnt an issue as its under 2 hours. Just dont do lots of walking sightseeing.

I stayed in a hotel very close to Checkpoint Charlie which was a 15 minute walk to the start and more importantly, from the finish!

Good luck in the ballot!
  • MandMMandM ✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    MandM, sorry to hear about you having to postpone.

I'd never been to Berlin before and loved it, and stayed off Kurfürstendamm, which is one of the main streets in Berlin (the race goes down this road towards the finish).  I booked my hotel privately and I'd stay in that area again as a) it had loads of restaurants a 5-min walk away and b) there was an S-Bahn (overground train) to one of the main stations near the race start.  The station I travelled to the race from was Savignyplatz, which was a few stops from Berlin Hauptbahnhof, which is the Central station.  It's then about a 10-min walk from there to the start.  After the race I was through the finish and back at the hotel in an hour, and I didn't especially rush.

In terms of planning, I hadn't actually planned this as I wasn't aware of the Expo opening times when I booked it all, but I managed to get to the Expo on Thursday afternoon (on way from airport to hotel), which was pretty quiet.  I was talking to people over the weekend who said there were big queues on the Friday, but I suppose there are peak times.

Depending on how long you're going for and you want to see some sights, I'd recommend the "Welcome Card".  You can get 2, 3, 4, 5 day travel tickets, which also give money off 200+ attractions.  (Having said that, our cards weren't checked at all on the actual transport system...).  You can buy these at the airport with no issues.  You don't have to worry about transport on the day, as race numbers allow you to use the transport system all day (again not checked at all though).

Of course it's the usual advice about getting there early as toilets had queues etc.  Take loo roll as they were running out in some cases.

Also, there is the option of choosing a poncho (amusingly called a "multi-faceted cape" in the magazine, which you pick up at the finish), or dropping off a bag at the start.  Once you choose one option, you can't change your order.  I went for the poncho for the first time ever, and it worked well for me.  If you do go for the poncho, maybe take some old clothes and a disposable poncho/bin bag incase it's raining which you can throw away before the start.  These get picked up after the race.  If you go for a poncho but later decide you want to store a bag, there are lockers (€6 a day) at Hauptbahnhof station, but I don't know how quickly these may get taken.  The ponchos are reusable and have the logos on, but they're not especially warm - i.e., they're not lined or anything, and some runners in them looked very cold.  But I'd still use that option if I'm lucky enough to do the race again.

If you're having support on the course, the app was very good for spectators.  My other half told me where she was going to try and spot me, and we spotted each other each time - 6 times in total.  She has said that if we go again, she wouldn't do 6 times as it was tiring!!  She even got close to the Brandenburg Gate, and I stopped briefly for a pic with the runners running under that iconic monument.

Thanks Big G, really helpful, made note of all your tips, its super easy to dcument when everyhting is fresh, lol. Where did you stay and would you recomend that place?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MandM, I stayed at a place called Kurfürst am Kurfürstendamm. Yes, I would stay there again but one thing was they wouldn’t guarantee opening breakfast early on race day (it opens at 7am, which was a bit too late for me). In the end most of the breakfast was out early anyway, but it wasn’t guaranteed. Also, no kettle in the room so if that’s an issue maybe take a travel kettle etc.  It was a 3* place, nothing fancy really, but it was clean, tidy and the breakfast was good. Also, the shower was good and very welcome especially after the race!

• Congrats everyone on a great race. My third marathon and second in Berlin and I finished in 3.29 which was an 8 minute PB and finally under 3.30 so very pleased.

I started in pen E but managed to set off at the back of the first wave, but there were clearly people who had ambitious ideas of their best times and people with G,H etc on their bibs.

In terms of the crowds I ran Berlin in 2017 in better weather and I cannot recall them being much bigger. I just think they tend to congregate at certain point, but I don't mind that as I train by myself so quite like the periods of quiet to concentrate.

In terms of the weather.... I love running the the rain so for me it was perfect, but totally appreciate some people don't like it. Thankfully the wind came on the Monday... than would have been awful as my wife and I could not walk against it and kept being pushed back!

I have already applied in the Berlin ballot for next year... I have missed out on a London place, so if I don't get a Berlin place I will run for a charity in Berlin in 2020 again.
  • I’m actually 50/50 on this one, I 50% like it, and 50% don’t like it because of some circumstances such as slow runners. But I had a good time and it was a good run. I went to Berlin, not just because of the race, but also to meet my high school friend who moved there after getting married. I was insisting that he should go with me to the race but he has ‘daddy duties’ so too bad.
  • Hi, I can't seem to start a discussion so please forgive me for hijacking this thread. I missed out on registering for Berlin 2020. Is there any way I can get just a bib? I've looked at the official tour partners but they all offer hotels as well. As I will be travelling with my family around Europe for a couple of months we are not sure of our itinerary just yet (except to say we'll be in Berlin if I can get ca bib :) ) Thanks very much.
  • Nick Wicks 2Nick Wicks 2 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    No joy in the ballot sadly, so I am going to try the charity first come first served sale next week. Does anyone know if you can only get places for yourself in that sale or can you buy more than one place? I applied in the ballot as a 'Team' for me and my wife, hence the question.