back-to-backs

I've entered the Race To The King in June 2019 -23 miles on Saturday and 30 on Sunday

I'm planning on doing back-to-backs regularly in training, but should I plan it with the longer distance on the second day's run to mimic the race or would it be a smaller injury risk if I kept the second day shorter?

Comments

• I've done back-to-backs both ways around. Doesn't really matter so long as you get used to running on tired legs. I've also used long run Sunday followed by running to work and back (5.5 miles each way) on the Monday. And remember to have drop-down weeks to enable recovery and reduce injury risk.

• Debra

Thanks. Yeah I'm planning 3 weeks build-up followed by 1 week drop-down recovery
  • SSLHP: that sounds sensible. Recovery time is so important (and more so as you get older, alas).
  • ... having said which, what your body considers 'normal' can also change. Having hung around with lots of 100 Marathon Club members and wannabees at SVN events, I've now got to the point where I'm fine running 35 miles Saturday, repeating on Sunday and back running to work Monday or Tuesday... But I did need a few weeks to recover properly after Ridgeway 86 (running a 50K a week later was not the most sensible thing I've ever done, even if I didn't push the pace).
  • Could never do it