Manchester 2019

Comments

• Ian5 - In the past I have managed 5 or 6 with the rest of my 12 week build-up being 16-18. Then last summer I just started hitting the 20s every sunday. Result was back under 3 hours at Abingdon and no cramp in the last 5k - every marathon I had run had featured cramp in the last 5k. My only neg split came in my second marathon when I learned my lesson in the first (the hard way hitting the wall) and set off too conservatively. I think it was around 15 mins neg split ! I've gotten better since that too.

Another benefit of hitting those long runs every week was I didn't suffer DOMs half as bad as in previous build-ups. My legs were so used to 20, 21 or 22 milers that they came back to me relatively quickly.

I guess it's what you can fit in and I must admit that I am looking forward to tomorrow's being my last 20+ run until race day adn then a break from them. The pressure to get them done and out of the way can get a bit much. Same with the midweek medium long runs actually which i find worse after a long day at work.

Nicko - Good luck at Bath. If you are borderline then I would err on the side of caution early doors, you may just surprise yourself in the second half and get pulled along passing others who have gone out too hard.

sol - regardless where the 3 hours pacer will be there will be plenty of people aiming for that time, concentrate on your race and your pace. Get in a group of likeminded and hitch a ride for the first half.

Gladrags - agree about the weather conditions at either race. If I was doing both I would keep a close eye on things. If Manchester ends up like last year, overcast and 10 degrees with no wind then you might as well have a blast at that and go for your PB. London will then be a procession and you can relax. Flipside stands up too, if Mcr is awful, coast round not taking too much out of the tank and hope London is better. Most of us will have our eggs in one basket!
  • My last real long run of 35 km (22 miles I think) with the last 7 km in marathon pace done today. I felt generally good during the run so I think my target to go sub 3:30 definitely is achievable. I am not used to miles but I have found out that my pace shall be 8 min/mile or slightly faster to make that. Haven´t decided if I will follow the 3:30 pacers or go on my own guided by a pace wristband.  

It came as a surprise that no sports drink is served along the course. I will bring my own gels and take one every third mile which means that I need eight of them in total. I don´t know how I am going to carry them though, but I have three weeks to work that out.

Let the taper commence! :)
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jason - managed to push out a 1:30:30 after a 9 mile run to get there (with a bit of mud) so bit more confident. Plan is to stick near 3 hour pacer from the start all the way through at Manchester as I tend to go off a bit fast and get lost usually.

Good running Stockholm - invest in a gel belt; so much more reliable than trying to fashion something yourself as I learnt from experience.

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

liking the idea of letting the Manchester weather forecast dictate my plan for the day. Stuck to the 4h15 pacer last year so would quite like to repeat this year (4h pacer?) whether the plan is to go for it or to hang back (4h 30 pacer)

I did the Endurance life Beachy Head half on Saturday so ITBs v sore today... Planning to do one last LSR on Friday and taper from there to Manchester.

Slightly in awe of everyone's speeds on here - seem to remember we were a more mixed group last year?!

• Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Last weeks training included 18 miles with 14 @ MP on Wednesday and 20 miles yesterday with a HM in the middle. Here's the story in (unwanted) detail.

My club had chosen the Wigan Half as a championship race, so I decided to go there. Not knowing anything about the course, I planned to go half way round at MP and wind it up from there with HMP. There were pacers there, so in accordance with my plan, followed the 1.30 pacer. Already a few hundred metres in I noted that he was way fast; we covered the first few miles at 6.35/m! When I "complained" to him about the pace, he explained that he has to bank time ahead of huge hill later in the course. Oh dear! By the time I reached the Hill 8 miles in at around HMP my legs couldn't handle 2.5 miles of solid climbing. I slipped back. Some people come huffing past. A real brutal slog, that was! Just after we finally began the 2-mile descent to the finish, my left shoelace came undone! I didn't want to stop to retie it and continued now hurtling down - laces flapping - to try and catch that 1.30 time. But no; missed it by 30 seconds... As it turns out, only 3 mile splits were within 10 seconds of goal MP, 6 miles up to 30 seconds faster and 4 miles way slower. Not very marathon-specific, but that's what it is - and my adventure for the weekend.

Well, that's pretty much all the training in the bag now. Taper, rest and hopefully peak for the Big Day. 
  • Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    21 miler for me this weekend just gone, going to hopefully get another 20 in this coming weekend before I begin the dreaded taper!!
    Gladrags, I'm not anywhere near the speed of a lot on here, Im going to try for around 4hrs hopefully!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Some real good long runs going on here.
    I had 20.5 miles last Friday,weather didn't help as it was very windy and it meant the last 2 miles hurt more than normal,hopefully a good taper will see me back to form.
  • Did first ever 50+ miles week last week... will start reducing now but i am going to do another 20 miler on Sunday.

Most of the niggles seem about just about ok ! 

Starting to look forward to the 7th ! 
  • Really looking forward to the 7th. My first marathon..!! Great reading about everyone’s training experiences, really motivating.

Still haven’t worked out my marathon pace though!

Managed four 20 mile long runs over the last month or so, the last one consisting of first 10 miles easy (10 min/miles) and last 10 miles tempo (8.40 min/mile). Found this really tough...

Timed myself over 13.1 miles in the wind and rain on Saturday, which I did in 1 hour 52.

I know just finishing my first marathon will be a real achievement but wanting my best possible time...any advice on a suitable pace? Aim for 4.30? 4.20?
  • george_george_ ✭✭✭
    BB-I would aim for 4:15 to start with. If you can do a 1:52 half by yourself in the wind and rain, you are in good shape. You will surprise yourself on the day with the adrenaline, taper and carb loading
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Bongo - if you did a solo half marathon in difficult conditions at that pace, and finished your long run in 8:40 then I think you could maybe eye up a sub-4 (9:09 per mile) - probably seems like it would be too fast thinking of it now, but with taper, fuelling and adrenaline on the day, it's doable. Sounds like you have done some good volume and are running similar paces to me when I did my first which came in at 3:52. 
  • Stockholm - excellent last long run with some MP too. Have you trained with sports drinks? I only train with water and gels for my long runs but I've purposely tried to limit the number I take to train the body to be more resilient by itself. FWIW I have always carried my gels with me. Helps mentally tick off the miles as the hands become free of carrying stuff. Just don't drop them a lot like StevieWh :)

Nicko - assume that 1:30:30 was a half? Good going after a 9 mile warm up! Loads of people to run with in that 3 hour group. Even when it thins out there will still be plenty to cling onto/ran past. Nice and steady, run your own pace no matter what.

Gladrags - sounds like a sensible plan of action. Good luck with the last long run.

Sol - same boat as you re Wigan and not knowing the course. I opted for a 20 mile race instead which didn't have any massive hills. Sounds like a decent workout for you though so all good training banked.

Hill1 - nice long run ticked off and good luck with the last one this week. I was really happy to tick off the last 20+ run yesterday. Looking forwards to a reduced mind week long run too this week.

Ian5 - weather has been shocking so well done on banking another long run especially in challenging conditions. Many would have bailed so you have one up mentally already.

Jonny - well done on hitting your mileage milestone. Always feels good to achieve something new I feel. Hope the last long one goes well.

Bongo - difficult to answer with any accuracy as don't know about your training history (how long have you been running, building up the fatigue resistance in your legs etc) or how training has looked overall. All I will say is set a realistic target based on your training and be prepared to adapt as necessary. Get that marker down for your first effort and finish feeling good and motivated to do another, and another etc etc :)

23 yesterday for me. 3 mile warm up then straight into the Trimpell 20 race up in Lancaster. First 10 steady, second 10 at marathon effort.

Taken today as a rest day to kick off the taper. 12 midweek and 17 at the weekend as the cutdown commences. Must try not to eat everything in the cupboards!!

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Haha SJ! i have ordered a new belt so hopefully it will hold them better! 18 for me at the weekend with 10 at MP. Nice to see the MP sections come out around 6.40 for a comfortable effort.

20 with MP for me on Friday then time to start thinking of the taper. Getting excited now!
  • Hi, advice please. I'm relatively new to running (approx 18 months) and have so far done 3 half marathons. I finished my one on Sunday with a time of 01:36:52 (previous halves were both 01:41) I am doing Manchester as my first full marathon and was wondering what sort of time I should realistically be aiming for? My training has only got me up to 17 miles so far but aiming for a 20 mile + on Sun as my final long run before I taper down. My head says I should be aiming for a 03:45 but I'm not an experienced marathon runner and therefore maybe I need to be more realistic? What do you reckon? I do have a tendency to go off too quick in races at the start, so will really be difficult for me to go out sensibly!
  • JPStokie - i would wait till you see how you feel after your long run on Sunday before setting a target time. Your half time would I suggest at least 3.45 but how your body will feel when it hits the 20+ mile mark is another story. 
  • > @"Jonny Beach" said:
    > JPStokie - i would wait till you see how you feel after your long run on Sunday before setting a target time. Your half time would I suggest at least 3.45 but how your body will feel when it hits the 20+ mile mark is another story. 

okay, yep good advice.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Jonny - I agree. One rule of thumb is double your HM time and add 20 minutes, so 3:45 seems conservative. However, this assumes the correct training, and it sounds as though you don't have as many long distance runs done as you might have liked. Based on that, the last few miles will be difficult if you go out too fast. I would head out at 3:45 pace (this will seem slow to begin with, don't be suckered into going faster) an see how you feel at 18-20 miles. If you feel good then you can always pick up the pace, this is a much better approach than heading off fast and ending up doing the death march near the end. Think of it as a race of two halves, it's just that the first half is 20 miles and the second is 6.2 (!). As long as you don't use up all your energy in the first half you'll be fine.
  • Hello all, I have been following this thread for a while since I signed up to Manchester late last year. This will be my first marathon (although I did a 36 mile ultra last year) and I am trying to manage my expectations about what time I could complete it in so would be interested in anyone's thoughts.
    I have been running for 4 years and did a half marathon PB of 1:21 last September. I did the Bath half last Sunday shaving a whole 6 seconds off my PB (still 1:21).
    So far this year I have done 8 long runs of 20+ miles (the longest being 24 miles). I always limit my running to three runs per week due to not wanting to carry injuries but also a hectic work and home life with 2 young children. My weekly mileage is normally around 35-40, which is probably not enough but I also do a small number of core workouts and lots of pilates.
    From reading the above, I might have missed a trick in that my weekend long runs are normally at the same pace (no MP) at around 7:30 to 7:40 per mile. I know I could go quicker but living right at the top of the Mendip Hills mean that I normally end the last 8-10K of my LR going uphill, often with some steep inclines.
    So... am I being completely over optimistic to think that my plan for Manchester is sub 3hrs, with a plan B of 3:05?
    Would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts.
    By the way, my biggest issue is pacing myself...!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Hirstinio - I ran 2.55.48 at Abingdon last year off a half PB of 1.22.50 so you should be comfortably under 3. I also only did one long run with any MP sections. You could always set off with the 3 hour pacer and pick things up later on if you are feeling good, should help with the pacing issue as well.
  • Stevie - thanks for the response. This gives me some comfort.
    I was considering staying just in front of the 3hr pacer for the first half/three quarters to help with the pacing. Do you/anyone else know if they start from pan A or B? I am in pen A
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Hirstinio - agree with Stevie, I think 3 hours should be a very achievable target for you. I am also aiming for 3 but have done less 20+ runs than yourself and my HM PB is a lot slower (well done at Bath, I was also running there - great race apart from the runner's village access and the bag collection!).

Not sure if pacer will be in B or A, I am in A and will simply hang at the back if the pacer appears to be in B.
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Another sub 3 hopeful ere! Ran 1:23 comfortably in Wrexham a few weeks ago with the last 5k being pretty testing! Have done 18 weeks averaging 45 miles (ranging from 30 to a few 60+ weeks). Long runs have been in short supply this year with only two 20 milers though. Like above aiming to start ahead of the sub 3 gang which I reckon will be pretty manic!

I'd say a 1.21 is a great marker for a sub 3 attempt.
  • Nicko - agree with you regarding Bath. Really good event, but they need to sort out the entrance to the runners village and the bag collection which was a bit chaotic
  • Last long(ish) run done and dusted today, 15 miles very easy as ran my last tune uprace yesterday with a 10k pb of 36:46 which was pleasantly surpising.

All the hard work is done. Relax, let the taper do its job and make it to the start line. Oh and pay no attention to the maranoia, those twinges and sniffles will be irrelevant when the gun goes.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Last decent effort done today,entered wilmslow half on a whim when a friend pulled out.Wasnt too sure how it would go after a week's all inclusive holiday and flew back yesterday.As it was it went ok,1:26:41 gave me a small pb,just 2 weeks to recover for everyone now. 
  • did Hull 20 yesterday and had planned to run at MP, fueling trial and finish breaking in new trainers, MP target was 8.45 to 8.50 min mile.... felt good ay 10 ish miles and aversged about 8.45 min miles buttthen got little carried away and ran second 10 under 8.30 min miles which is definitely to quick for me to do Manchester as was feeling it in last couple miles. But hopefullly 8.45 is pace i will go for at Manchester.

Looking forward to the taper now !!!  
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Apparently this is the pacer information for Manchester!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Looks like I'll be hanging out at the back of A then! Cheers Stevie.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

No worries, I'll be making sure I am in front of him at the front of B. Hopefully that means we will catch up.

Getting excited now. Trying to work out logistics for the start, staying at Holiday Inn Express Trafford City so I think taxi will be the best option. Are there toilets at the start area as I won't need to use the bag drop.

Also the most important thing, where's good for a celebratory beer and possibly some food close by?