Manchester 2019

Comments

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Agreed, old shirt/jumper better than binbags for environment etc, especially when people just drop them at the start so people behind trip over them. I had a nice argument with a woman in front of me a couple of years ago at VLM who decided to do that - got the blood pumping nicely!
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

nothing like a binbag tangled between your feet as you head to the start line!

re: the pacing query. I'm only 14 marathons in and am a 4h15 - 4h30 runner but wonder if a 1h53 half really translates to a sub 4 first marathon? For my first one I had a 1h57 half in the bag and that only translated to a 4h27 finish on the day. Given it was a very hot London so could easily have been faster on a cooler, flatter, less congested course. But I don't think it would ever have been a sub 4.

FWIW I'd start with the 4h15 pacer and then reassess at maybe 10,15 and 20 miles if I had it in me to comfortably go faster?

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Gladrags - I was equating the fact that it was a 1h53 training run, not a race and just going off own experience of first mara training where I did a similar time in a training run; but 1:47 in a race; which equated to a sub 4. Other experiences may vary.

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Nicko - it wasn't meant as a criticism of anyone's perspective, but just as another angle for the poster to consider when working out how to approach the race.

Agree completely that I may be too cautious...

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    As well as the half time,a massive part of how you convert is how many miles are in the training cycle and also the pace,I think 5.35km is too quick to be training optimally for sub 4,not getting as much aerobic benefit as possible.
    6 days left guys,hope all the niggles go and taper isn't too bad.
  • Hi, when I signed up (9 months ago) I put down a predicted time of 4 hours. I now want to attempt a 3:30. I have checked my number and have been put in 'Pen E'. I'm guessing the 3:30 pacer won't be in this pen. What is the protocol here? Do I:

a) Try catch up the 3:30 pacer group?
    b) Try to work out what is the correct pen for this time and start in there?

How do you find out what pens the different pacers are in?

Thanks in advance.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    JP-I wouldn't try and catch the pacer as using the energy wont be ideal,looking at Steve's earlier post the 3:30 pacer will be at the front of pen d,I would try and get into the pen if you can.
  • > @Ian5 said:
    > JP-I wouldn't try and catch the pacer as using the energy wont be ideal,looking at Steve's earlier post the 3:30 pacer will be at the front of pen d,I would try and get into the pen if you can.

okay cheers.
  • Jonny BeachJonny Beach ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Weather conditions still looking good :)

Any recommendations from people that have done Manchester in last couple of years, time to get to start for baggage and loos etc ? 

Carb loading started this am !!! feeling bloated ! any good tips for snacks etc that dont leave you asleep at your desk ? 

had a massage yesterday... will do about 3 miles tonight and then that will be it i think. Feeling reletively good for Sunday ! 

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Jonny  I also started carb loading today! Dried Banana chips are my favourite carb loading snacks, orange juice is also good for drinkable carbs. Glad you are feeling good!

5m for me tonight then a 2-3m shakeout on Saturday, excited now!

• Thanks to SaintJason & PhilH for their answers earlier. Meanwhile, just to say that this is only my 2nd Marathon but it's 36 years after I did my first one so I feel like a complete novice! I've basically trained from scratch (or a lowish base level of fitness) over 12 weeks and it hasn't gone too badly so far. Not quite 'couch to marathon but not far off as regards any running goes.

I've done 2 x 18 milers and a 20 (as part of my weekly long run schedule) without feeling like I need to quit so......bring it on! I hope to go under 4 hours which would please my immensely after all these years.

2 weeks of 'tapering' seems to have given me a lot of excess energy and I'm all set to break free.
    Good luck to all.
  • > @life_in_the_old_dog said:
    > Thanks to SaintJason & PhilH for their answers earlier. Meanwhile, just to say that this is only my 2nd Marathon but it's 36 years after I did my first one so I feel like a complete novice! I've basically trained from scratch (or a lowish base level of fitness) over 12 weeks and it hasn't gone too badly so far. Not quite 'couch to marathon but not far off as regards any running goes.
    >
    > I've done 2 x 18 milers and a 20 (as part of my weekly long run schedule) without feeling like I need to quit so......bring it on! I hope to go under 4 hours which would please my immensely after all these years.
    >
    > 2 weeks of 'tapering' seems to have given me a lot of excess energy and I'm all set to break free.
    > Good luck to all.
    >
    >
    Sounds like you've done a great job to get yourself ready in a short period of time and with those long runs you're all set! It is super flat (ok, cross a railway bridge twice but that's all) and crowds are good.

Been on the carbs since Wednesday - bagels, pasta, rice, almonds and banana along with plenty of water. Got a bag of Preetzels to snack on too for next couple of days. And whilst I can't quite give up my addiction to chocolate I am keeping it lower, so I roll with that one!

Think I can hit 3:38/3:39 and so Plan A is based on sub 3:40, but am so tempted to take a risk and go for sub 3:30 which would be heaven. Feels like a bad idea but if anyone has any examples where they stretched beyond what they thought they could hit then I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'll hopefully go sub 3:40 and come back next year for sub 3:30.

All the best everyone - enjoy it.
    Phil
  • Just popped back into this thread to see how everyone's getting on. It's a speedy group this year! Sounds like there's going to be some good times clocked.

I'm a little short of mileage this year compared to 2017 and 2018 but, having said that, I was about 30 seconds short of my 10K PB in a race at the start of March and, similar to Ian5, I also ran a HM PB at Wilmslow a couple of weeks ago. Hoping for a small PB on Sunday, which would be sub-3:45.

Phil - I'm terribly risk averse so I'm going with "bad idea", stick with 3:38 or so. I'd be scared of blowing up at 20 miles and the final 6 miles being agony!!! Anyone more gung-ho than me might say a 3:30 target would be OK :neutral:

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Phil, the best judge of target pace is you. But if you do decide to get brave / stupid (delete as appropriate), bear in mind the weather forecast, it's currently looking perfect for running. Maybe head off at 3:35 pace and see how you feel at half-way?

• > @Little Nell said:
    > Just popped back into this thread to see how everyone's getting on. It's a speedy group this year! Sounds like there's going to be some good times clocked.
    >
    > I'm a little short of mileage this year compared to 2017 and 2018 but, having said that, I was about 30 seconds short of my 10K PB in a race at the start of March and, similar to Ian5, I also ran a HM PB at Wilmslow a couple of weeks ago. Hoping for a small PB on Sunday, which would be sub-3:45.
    >
    > Phil - I'm terribly risk averse so I'm going with "bad idea", stick with 3:38 or so. I'd be scared of blowing up at 20 miles and the final 6 miles being agony!!! Anyone more gung-ho than me might say a 3:30 target would be OK :neutral:

I'm in exactly the same boat!!!
  • I was confident of going for 3.50 at best 3.45 until Maranoia has hit me in last 24 hours ! My RHR has climbed and i am coughing .... haha all good fun

My hotel that said breakfast was 6.30 has lied to me so my plan now is Porridge in Room and McDonalds bagel at 7ish before getting taxi to start !  
  • Little Nell & Rodeoflip - thanks both. I think I just needed folk to reaffirm my thoughts that it wouldn't be wise to overstretch, however tempting it may be. Hopefully I will show the self discipline on Sunday to stick to the sub 3:40 plan. I can then make 3:30 tha target for next marathon.

JP Stokie - if you decide you want to target sub 3:40 rather than 3:30 and you want a run partner then happy to do so. I'm pretty sure that I'm best to stick with 8:10 per mile for first 16m and then seek to maintain that beyond there. If interested, can sort it out.
  • I too too am trawling over the past 14 weeks of training, comparing HR data etc and trying to figure what I should shoot for. As far as I can tell, this is normal. Second guessing everything is part of the build-up, he says, starting only his 7th marathon, I think? So I'm no expert. Still learning.

Conditions do look ideal and if you've had a good training block it will be tempting to aim higher. I'm ni different.

However, I've looked at my training objectively. Hold your nerve. Stick to the plan. If it's your day at 20 miles, go for it, it's a 10k sprint to the line. I've tried the banking time early and it's a hard way to run the last 10k if it's not your day.

Having said all that, I'm not at the point where I can go for it from the gun like you can in a 10k or HM. In my mind the marathon is the ultimate event for showing patience.

Power and glory to you all.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Good luck and safe travels to everyone.
    Same as everyone else I've been second guessing my time,had a great race in Gran Canaria,felt really easy at 13 and speeded up,looking back I probably should have waited until 20 before as it felt like I slowed a little over the last few miles,but it was still my first negative split.
  • saintjason - I dunno if it's any better with you actually in Manc., but where I am (near Northwich, Cheshire) the wind has been atrocious today... but BBC weather is describing it as a "moderate breeze"!!! I don't think so!

Hoping the wind clears for Sunday - it's the worst running conditions for me. The description for Timperley and for Altrincham at mara. time on Sunday is "gentle breeze"... but I'm not sure I trust the BBC's judgement based on today.

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Timperly - Alti bit is always a bit breezy even on a calm day as it's a little exposed. I'm hopeful this wind drops by Sunday.

Ian - ditto, in most of my previous races I can see where I need to improve as I tend to get a little giddy between 13 - 17. Possibly thinking it's going to be a good day. I showed better patience last time out at Abingdon. Hoping to do the same on Sunday.
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    The weather in North Manchester today has been relatively mild, with no noticeable wind. Fingers crossed that the current forecast for Sunday comes about!

Best of luck to everyone! 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone; hope you've enjoyed some quality carbs today and safe travels tomorrow.

If anyone's in the 3 hour pacing pack and sees an ugly bald guy in a red and white running vest, say hi; it's me.
  • Good luck to everyone running this weekend.

Unfortunately I've come down with a cold at the worst time possible, so it's lempsips all the way for me now to the start line. 
  • Thanks for the Manchester weather update Sol2. It's calmed down a lot here too - I did an easy 3 or so miles this evening to test out a t-shirt I'm thinking of wearing under my vest on Sunday as I'm worried about being too cold (got to worry about something now the wind has died down!)

Very sorry to hear about the sudden appearance of a cold alipat1990 - rest up and have lots of hot drinks.

Anyone up for a start number and predicted/hoped for list?

Little Nell: 6763, A target = sub-3:45, B target = London GFA (sub-3:53), C target = just get round.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Little Nell: 6763, A target = sub-3:45, B target = London GFA (sub-3:53), C target = just get round.
    Ian5: 2861, A target=sub-3:10(GFA) B target, =Sub-3:11:21 (PB)

• A Target = 3hrs 50 B Target sub 4 hrs & C Target Sub 4hrs 10 (PB) 

Any race predictor I have used, majority are 345 to 350
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    StevieWh - 1714 Target = Sub 2.53
  • Morning guys, been following this thread as running manchester for the first time tomorrow, 1 previous marathon in 2012 (london) so hoping to improve on that with an older wiser head!

just registered as i would like some advice on travel tomorrow, coming from shropshire 1:45 away on sat nav and parking at the football ground.

just wondering if any one could advise if leaving around half 5 /6 should in theory be ok? I know not to follow sat nav and to use the roads suggested on the email but do you think all being well from parking to starting around an hour should be enough barring any major issues?

many thanks
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    StevieWh - 1714 Target = Sub 2.53
    Nicko - 617, Target = 2:59:59 (Gun time)