Manchester 2019

Comments

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Little Nell: 6763, A target = sub-3:45, B target = London GFA (sub-3:53), C target = just get round.
    Ian5: 2861, A target=sub-3:10(GFA) B target, =Sub-3:11:21 (PB)
    StevieWh - 1714 Target = Sub 2.53
    Nicko - 617, Target = 2:59:59 (Gun time)
    SaintJason- #595 (Start A) Tergats - A <2:54 B <2:55 C <2:59:59

• Mat1 - can't really say with any confidence as I'm local so use tram to get to and from race. I guess you have paid for parking at car park? If so, then you're only difficulty is navigating the road closures which you are aware of.

If it were me I would leave early enough not to let stress affect me. If that means 30 - 60 mins earlier then so be it. That's just me though, I hate being late.

• Say hi if you spot me. There will be quite a few Sale Harriers running as it's a local fixture running though Sale where a lot of our club members will be marshalling. It's the best supported part of the course IMO with the local running community out in full force.

• <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/nicko1981">nicko1981</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Little Nell: 6763, A target = sub-3:45, B target = London GFA (sub-3:53), C target = just get round.
    Ian5: 2861, A target=sub-3:10(GFA) B target, =Sub-3:11:21 (PB)
    StevieWh - 1714 Target = Sub 2.53
    Hirstinio - 941, A target = sub 3, B Target = 3:05 (London GFA), C target 3:10</div></blockquote>
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Little Nell: 6763, A target = sub-3:45, B target = London GFA (sub-3:53), C target = just get round.
    StevieWh - 1741 Target= Sub 2.53
    Hirstinio - 941, A target = sub 3, B Target = 3:05 (London GFA), C target 3:10
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Realised I had got my number wrong!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Jason-I enjoyed the sale section when I did it a couple of years ago,felt it was like the Tour de France when it closes up and everyone is next to you.
    Work finished now so just chilling waiting to get the train over later.
  • > @StevieWh said:
    > Little Nell: 6763, A target = sub-3:45, B target = London GFA (sub-3:53), C target = just get round.
    > Ian5: 2861, A target=sub-3:10(GFA) B target, =Sub-3:11:21 (PB)
    > StevieWh - 1741 Target= Sub 2.53
    > Nicko - 617, Target = 2:59:59 (Gun time)
    > Hirstinio - 941, A target = sub 3, B Target = 3:05 (London GFA), C target 3:10

Phil H 5995. A target = 3:39; B target = sub 3:45.

Be strong all.
  • Adding myself back in...

• Final little leg stretch for me done and dusted at lunchtime: 4 miles @ goal MP.

So - you're a Sale speedster saintjason! That bit through Sale is so partisan... if I end up running near a Sale Harrier through that bit (in either the HM or the mara) it feels like all other runners are invisible :lol: - the level of local support is great though.

Jonny Beach - I've added you to the target list...

Mat1 - I drive in and use the Old Trafford car parks too, although I'm coming from much closer than you. It's always worth adding at least 30 mins on to your expected journey time: 05:30 should be OK. There are road works on Wharfside Way, as you get close to the car parks, that have been going on for *literally* years (they were there when I last did Manchester marathon in 2017 and October 2018 for Manchester HM!!!) and it gets really congested in the final stretch to the car parks! I'm in N3 this time - which one are you in?

In the past there has been a pre-race thread meet up... dunno if anyone fancy the same this year? I've made some nice running friends from the last meet up - Ian5 being one *waves @ Ian* :smiley: and I ended up finding someone who was planning on exactly my pace so we ran pretty much the whole thing together, which was great! I'll be hanging around the Town Hall steps at about 08:00 - 08:15 (to meet some work colleagues) if anyone wants to say hi! I'm a very short woman and will be wearing black tights with my club vest, which is lurid yellow and royal blue quarters - hard to miss.

Jonny Beach  ###? A Target = 3hrs 50 B Target sub 4 hrs & C Target Sub 4hrs 10 (PB)

Have a good one everyone... and in the words of Steve Way: "Don't Be S**T!"

• Thanks for the travel advice guys! Nell I am in n4.

some fast guys on here, my goal is sub 4. Ran 4:17 in London in 2012 (pb half is 1:38 albeit in 2011 so its in there somewhere and i will do it be it this time or the next)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nell-I will be around about that time I'd imagine so will pop over and say hi,slightly taller than nell  :D
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Ian5: 2861, A target=sub-3:10(GFA) B target, =Sub-3:11:21 (PB)
    StevieWh - 1741 Target= Sub 2.53
    Jonny Beach ###? A Target = 3hrs 50 B Target sub 4 hrs & C Target Sub 4hrs 10 (PB)
    Sol2 - 2815 - A 2.59:?, B GFA <3.05, C finish!

My debut marathon, I'll be in pen B (very short guy, greying hair, with black and maroon Prestwich AC vest) trying to stick to the 3hr pacer.

Quick check on the weather again. No chance of rain tonight or tomorrow. 8am 8°C climbing 1 degree per hour to a peak of 14 at 2. Perhaps some hints of sunshine (wouldn't that be lovely!!)

Best of luck all! 
  • Ooo - Sol2, you're a club mate of one of my super duper speedy work colleagues! Thanks for weather update.

Just packed and pinned on my number... still not decided which shoes I'm going with though :neutral:

Nighty, night all... sleep well.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Enjoy yourself everyone. The hard work is behind you, the reward for that is today. 
    Finish with a smile, be prepared to change your race plan.
    The good thing about me injuring myself and deferring, I pb'd at Parkrun yesterday, something I wouldn't have done if I was there today. 
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Good luck everyone ... just looking forward to getting going now 
  • Ended up with 3.29 so sub 3.30 goal achieved just. Wasn’t as flat as I expected 😥
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    We'll done rutherglenrunner fantastic work beating your goal. Personally I thought it was amazingly flat!

Managed to go just shy of 2:58 so got my target and very happy with that. What great conditions for running today, really good race.
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Kudos to you, Rutherglen, on achieving your goal!  I think that perfectly flat isn't easy on the muscles; slight undulations bring other muscle groups into play, easing the load somewhat. 

Nicko, well done to you too on a job well done! (Didn't see you though).

My A goal for my debut marathon was sub-3. Job done in 2.59:45. I'm well pleased with that! I think everything aligned perfectly for the race: a good course, good support and great weather! 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    That's amazing for your debut Sol (or even for an experienced runnner) congratulations. I was at the back of pen B at the start in a stripey jumper but arrived late so just concentrated on trying to get my late warmups done.
  • Well that was great fun. Really enjoyed it. Managed to keep my pace consistent for 38k, the last 4K was a struggle but we got there.

perfect weather and so so flat.

2:56:10 for my first marathon so very pleased with that.

I ran a large chunk of it with a triathlete from South Wales who was doing it as a casual run before a world triathlon event, but didn’t get his name or see him at the end - he helped me so much to keep an even pace.  Annoyed I couldn’t thank him.

The 185 mile drive home is taking its toll on my legs...
  • Made some mistakes this race and ended up with a 4:08 (goal was sub 4). Still as it's my first marathon it's a PR either way and I was just happy to run it.

First off overdid it on the carb loading, should have listened to my body instead of insisting on getting in the 10g/kg that I read is ideal. Woke up feeling bloated and had serious stomach cramps throughout the race, I managed to keep running through them but the first 20 miles of this marathon were much more painful than a regular 20 mile run. And it meant I couldn't stomach any energy gels which usually are fine for me.

I also started out too fast, I somehow found myself ahead of the 3:58 pacer and as I don't have a watch had no idea how fast I was going. I thought I was running with people who just wanted to run slightly in front of the pacer as it's less crowded there, but suddenly turned around and the pacer was nowhere to be seen. Paid for the excessive speed later when the 3:58 group breezed past me, followed a few miles later by the 4:00 group. The last few miles were agony but seemed like I was not alone in that regard.

Nonetheless great event, everyone was friendly and positive and supportive. As someone who has pretty much always run alone it was a very different experience. I'm now looking at which autumn marathons are still taking sign ups.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Well done guys,pretty crap run here,3:11;25 so not even a PB,just seemed to have heavy legs from early on and couldn't get going.
  • rutherglenrunner - well done on achieving your goal. Those speed bumps are a pain for sure ;)

nicko - congrats to you too on hitting your target. The support was the best ever. I hope the course change next year doesn't remove the Sale/Altrincham section.

Sol2 - wow! Sub3 on debut!! Definitely more to come off that if you can find time for the extra training. Well done.

Hirstinio - congrats to you on a super debut! Sounds like you can go faster too if the last few miles weren't perfect. Weather was perfect again for second year running. Didn't envy your drive home.

mtuff - well done on completing your first marathon. I was once told you don't really know what works for you until your 5th marathon. Plenty of advice out there re carb loading/depletion, pacing etc. Figuring out what works for you is all part of the journey. Starting out too fast is the one a lot of people get wrong. So easy to run the first few miles ahead of ideal goal pace. That's one of the main reasons the attrition rate is so high in the final 10k, glycogen stores were tapped into too early. Best approach is to run on or slighting slower than goal pace and let those who think it's a 10k race go past you, you will overtake most of them later on.

Ian5 - sorry to hear you had a bad one. Any ideas why? How did the taper go?

2:55:23 for me which takes down my PB from 2009 (I have been inconsistent Inthe intervening years). The best run I've had over the marathon distance not only in terms of time but also consistency. Paced it well and ran on strong over the line. First time I actually felt good in the final 10k, although quads were screaming and hamstring and calf had to be nursed home. Hamstring finally tweaked as I got over the line and pulled up.

Great support, great day, as previously said, hope the course change is good for next year.

• Conditions where excellent and crowd support was amazing & kept me going all way round at some vital points which was a first in my 5th Marathon - loved the busy crowded areas when supporters where completely on top of you. 

Looks like everyone’s done v well hitting there time or v close ! 

I did it in 3.51 so smashed my PB and first time under 4 hours ... I maintained same pace all way with v small negative split (less than a min) but my legs where feeling it in last 3 miles and my calf that tightened in mile 1 kept reminded me it wasn’t far of cramping ! 

Such a a relief to go under the 4 hours as I had previously had v mixed marathon results and always hit the wall at some point ! 

Prevous times where :- 

Manchester 2015 (adjusted for short distance ) 4.15
    new York 2015 4.52 ! 
    Yorkshire 2017 4.42 
    liveroool 2018 4.22

no plans for another soon but to make more of a dent I need to shift some weight as im 5ft 9 carrying 15st takes it toll !
  • I did it! My debut marathon in 4:17. Super happy with the time considering I put myself down for an estimated finish time of 5 hours when I initially signed up. 
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

4h25. so 11 minutes slower than last year's PB but I guess in line with expectations.

Definitely felt v different from last year with all those extra runners?

Randomly have v bad blisters so just need to get those as under control as possible before London in 3 weeks....

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    2.53.57 which is a new PB for me! 1.26.51/1.26.26 splits. Really pleased with that after getting injured in Jan. Great course and support, I'll definitely be back!
  • Well done everyone, both for getting round and getting a marathon done (always an achievement) and also for those of you with PB's - fantastic work.

So, I didn't stick to my plan, it didn't go well overall and despite the disappointment of that, I feel oddly pleased in one respect. I have a PB of 3:47 (Manchester 2018) and yesterday was my 3rd marathon. The plan here was 3:39, going out at 8.10-8.15 for 20 miles and that would have left me with 8.50's for last 6.

After 15 miles I was at 3:29 pace! I felt good and was flying along. However, all year I've had numerous injuries that haven't gone away and I suspect that the sheer distance, the impact of the pace on legs and going out too quickly meant the wheels came off. Had to stop numerous times to stretch hamstring/groin. By 20 miles I could have got the 3:40 I went for but in the end trundled home in 3:59!

I was a few seconds under 2 hours to go 15 miles and then 1:59 for the final 11.2!
    Happy because the ultimate ambition is to achieve sub 3:30 and so it told me I have the foundations for it. I need to rid myself of these injuries, do lots of leg strength work and go from there.
    I got greedy, could have stuck to plan and possibly would have got the 3:39 or certainly under 3:47 but we live and learn! When I started running I wanted a sub-4 marathon, so I've got two of those now, happy with that until next time.
    Well done all.
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well done everyone who met their goals - some excellent PBs achieved with some really big margins too!

mtuff - I can commiserate but congratulations on doing so well in your first marathon, that's still an excellent time.

Ian - I'm with you, mate, bad day for me too! Sorry we didn't meet up beforehand would have been nice to wish each other good luck - perhaps things would have worked out better :lol:

Best of luck for London, Gladrags!

philh1969 - commiserations to you too. (BTW: just noticed from the results, you crossed the line 10 seconds ahead of me!)

So... Sunday was a bit of a bust. I basically ran like a complete novice - went off too fast and continued running too fast until the 18th mile where I fell off a cliff! I had set up pace alerts on my Garmin and, like an idiot, chose to ignore the warnings. I also chose the wrong shoes so, for the first time ever, I felt like I had blisters on my soles (I didn't have - my feet were just sore). My summary of the day is "Over goal weight, under goal miles, ignored goal pace" :neutral:  Ended up running 3:53:30, my second fastest marathon but it meant I missed my A-target (sub-3:45) and my B-target (London GFA, sub-3:53) by 31 seconds :angry: At least I made my C-target of "just get round".  I'll take it as a learning experience. I've now tried out going off too fast and I know exactly how that feels... won't do it again!

The event itself was great, as usual - perfect weather, excellent crowds, PB-potential course - although I'm not sure I like the new course direction through Alty. Next year will go into the centre of town... not sure about that either.