Paris Marathon 2019

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Wow, 10 in a row! You should get your own private portaloo on the Champs Elysees for that.
    I do think they should rename the Bois de Boulogne to Park of Death.
  • Here's the latest list. Hope everyone's training is going well. Hard to imagine it being hot given today's weather here in the UK. I'm trying to resist the urge to buy more kit and running shoes in the Black Friday sales. Anyone spotted any good bargains?
    Red pen (speed of light)
    Bib tbc - OuchOuch
    Yellow pen (3:15)
    Bib tbc - Miles 87
    11515 - baldstan
    Blue pen (3:30)
    Violet pen (3:45)
    29096 - Carol4
    Green pen (4:00)
    Grey pen (4:15)
    60005 - StephA
    Pink pen (4:30+)
    70663-K83nd0n
    75031 - Andy
  • Hi everyone - hope your training is all coming along (if you've started yet!)

Does anyone who has run this previously have any advice on the best place to get medical form done if GP won't do it? I'm the sort of person who, if I faked it, something would happen to me and it would invalidate my insurance so I'm looking to get one genuinely signed!

• FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    My surgery refused last year, but one of the doctors signed it anyway. Try making an appointment and getting it done face-to-face. They have your records, which they would need to release to a private doctor to sign anyway. Good luck! 
  • Hi all,

I’ve lurked the RW forums for a while but never posted. However, when I was thinking of signing up to Paris for 2019 your 2018 thread was such an invaluable source of advice (I read every post before taking the plunge) that I thought I’d join in this one!

I’m bib 37337 in the purple pen. Will be my first international race and I’ll be alone so all a bit scary atm!
  • If your GP is refusing to sign it I’d enquire if any other GP in the surgery will do it.

A few people over the years have had issues getting the medical certificate signed. 

To to be honest if needs must then faking it is an option others have done. All that form needs is a signature and to be stamped. They don’t look into at the expo. They only care that you have it and that it’s signed and stamped.
  • Eggyh73 said:
    If your GP is refusing to sign it I’d enquire if any other GP in the surgery will do it.

A few people over the years have had issues getting the medical certificate signed. 

To to be honest if needs must then faking it is an option others have done. All that form needs is a signature and to be stamped. They don’t look into at the expo. They only care that you have it and that it’s signed and stamped.
    Yeah, it's purely an exercise in risk management by the marathon and the volunteers manning the expo have no way of knowing whether your certificate is legit or not.

Over the years I've been charged by locums (£30 perhaps?) if my Dr has been away and I've left it too late, but I'm in the fortunate position of having a GP who is a triathlete and his view is "Why would I fine people for taking exercise? It makes a change to see someone healthy in here!"

Personally, if your GP is being unhelpfully risk-averse about this, I'd shop around for a new one or offer to make a donation to the surgery or something rather than fake it and run the (admittedly tiny) risk of having it rejected. But then I'm a rule follower! In previous years, someone has usually turned up on here offering to send others a scan of their form to adapt...
  • Hi rachaeltoon. Welcome to the forum. I'll add you to the list next time I post it. Paris was my first international race and first marathon and it was pretty scary for me beforehand, but I'm so glad I chose it. The help and reassurance on this forum was fantastic. It was great to see the supporters around the course. And I think within five minutes of finishing I'd decided I wanted to do it again.
  • Carol4Carol4 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Rachaeltoon. I am the same. I watched this thread with interest last year. I am from Australia and have raced in New Zealand but I wouldn’t call that international.  This is my first road marathon and first ever big race. Scaring me some what but also excited and it will be my first visit to Paris. I have to keep telling myself to not over train and do lots of self maintenance ie massage, rolling etc. I am enjoying the prep so far. Just struggling a bit with the heat.  Sorry northern hemisphere guys 
  • Carol4Carol4 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a copy of the Supports Guide that was mentioned in last years thread?
  • Hi! I’m about to train for Paris Marathon....my first! Have completed two half marathons (2 hours). I normally just go out and run but feel I should train more effectively....I’m getting older!!! So many plans out there, any suggestions PLEASE!!
  • Carol4Carol4 ✭✭✭
    I am no expert but I would suggest getting a coach. Is there a local running group in your area that you can join? 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    28row - Welcome to the thread!

Training plans are tricky to give advice on as there are a lot of factors to take into account, such as experience, time you can commit to training and injury proneness.

A good starting point would be to look over the Hal Higdon plans, there are a few options there to see if anything suited your schedule and experience. https://www.halhigdon.com/training/marathon-training/

The one thing to note is that your first marathon training will be as much as a lesson in what works for you as anything else. Like most folk you’ll be fine and get that medal, but the training will teach you a lot about what works for you. I tend to run best of lots a long runs. I know others who run far better having dropped the long runs and doing more medium distance runs in their place.

Just remember the long slow runs are also about testing out fuelling for race day. Work out what breakfasts sit well and what you can eat in the run. Stick with that on race day.
  • Good morning and Happy New Year to you all. I'm new to the forum but am running Paris with my wife, both starting in blue pen. This will be marathon number 8 for both of us although we've only ever run one together before. Looking forward to it enormously and hope to meet some of you lovely people during the weekend. All the best of luck with your training plans. Cheers, Richard.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    RFoster - Welcome to the thread!
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year to everyone and welcome to the thread to the newer members, I hope the training is going well!! I can't quite believe its just over 14 weeks to go...
  • Afternoon everyone and happy new year!

Running Paris this year as my second marathon. I ran Brighton last year which I really enjoyed, tried getting a ballot place in London for this year but no luck so Paris instead!

Looking forward to getting some good info from the thread and reading everyone's training progress
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the thread Webby4216!
  • > @baldstan said:
    > Hi rachaeltoon. Welcome to the forum. I'll add you to the list next time I post it. Paris was my first international race and first marathon and it was pretty scary for me beforehand, but I'm so glad I chose it. The help and reassurance on this forum was fantastic. It was great to see the supporters around the course. And I think within five minutes of finishing I'd decided I wanted to do it again.

Hi! I've done a couple of marathons so as long as I can make it through training that'll be the biggest physical hurdle, just quite daunted about going abroad and doing my first 'big' race at the same time!
  • > @Carol4 said:
    > Welcome Rachaeltoon. I am the same. I watched this thread with interest last year. I am from Australia and have raced in New Zealand but I wouldn’t call that international.  This is my first road marathon and first ever big race. Scaring me some what but also excited and it will be my first visit to Paris. I have to keep telling myself to not over train and do lots of self maintenance ie massage, rolling etc. I am enjoying the prep so far. Just struggling a bit with the heat.  Sorry northern hemisphere guys 

Hi! Wow, coming to Europe for a race is pretty exciting. Have you ever run marathon distance before? It is a case of looking after yourself - getting rest, not trying to run through minor injuries, etc. I've not done a big race either, so I know a little how you feel about the whole first big race, first international race kind of thing.
  • Carol4Carol4 ✭✭✭
    I have been planning this for a few years now. I turn 60 in March and this is my birthday present to myself and to be honest the only way I can face that number.  I have run several 50k trail and road half marathon the last few years. Last year I did the shotover mountain marathon in New Zealand and it was amazing. We got a helicopter to the start line and the first 10ks were up hill. You should google it.  I am just doing Paris for fun and no huge expectations of a great time but it will be an amazing experience and I am not underestimating how hard it is too run a road marathon 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    A helicopter to the start! Wow!
  • Carol4Carol4 ✭✭✭
    Other than the fact it is a beautiful ride you get to see the terrain you need to run back on.  That bit was scary and I was beginning to wonder what I had  signed up for but it was worth it.  They give you an opened bottle of beer when you cross the finish line.  I keep hearing stories about champagne being on the Paris course but can’t find anything about it on the website.  Is that just a myth to get me to sign up?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen champagne on offer in the five times I've ran it.

There does tend to be an unofficial crew in the final park you run through as you head for the finish that has wine. I have to admit I've never taken them up on their offer. By the time I get to that point I'm pretty much oblivious to everything around me that isn't a big gantry with 'Finish' written on it!
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    Welcome Webby4216.

Carol4, I certainly didn't see champagne last year but am now tempted to insist that my husband meet me at the finish with a bottle this year...!! Congrats on your special birthday this year - what a great present you're giving yourself!

Rachaeltoon, don't be daunted - I ran Paris as my first marathon last year and the organisation and support were outstanding - you'll have a wonderful time!!

I finally got round to booking the Eurostar and think I've decided on my hotel which I'll book today - I'm currently in the training phase of "how will I ever be ready for a marathon...?!"

Anyone tried uploading their medical cert?
  • I've seen a marathon advertised where there are wine and cheese stations at every mile! Definitely not a course for a PB I feel! :smiley:

Can anyone advise on what the course profile is like? Are there particular hills/points to be aware of?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Webby4216 - The course is reasonably flat, and I can confirm it's a PB course if you're in good shape and the conditions are right.
    It's not pancake flat like Berlin or Amsterdam, but there are no real hills to speak about. It does gently undulate at certain points in the first half, but the main slopes people notice are the three tunnel underpasses you come out of on the second half of the course (all three are between miles 15 and 20). There's also an incline into the final park, which does come at a time when you'll notice any sort of undulation.
  • Eggyh73 - great, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Starting the new year has got the excitement brewing for Paris! Never been before so looking forward to a (slow!) wander round after the marathon.
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    That incline into the final park made me want to weep last year LOL!

I run worse than that day in and day out but I think I was at a low ebb when I hit it!
  • Carol4 - that’s such a lovely present to yourself! And age is but a number. That mountain marathon sounds amazing, if a little daunting! Sure you’ll be fine in a road marathon if you’ve run trail ultras.

Thanks StephA, am starting to get quite excited now! Just need to actually book travel and a hotel...