Options

Pain in outside of legs

Hi. New here, and to running if I'm honest.

I'm not the most active of people but want to start but regularly develop a pain when I'm jogging/running. I usually get it after about 6 or 7 minutes of running, its in both legs and is toward the bottom, above the ankle and runs up about 6 to 8 inches on the outside of each leg. Its not unbearable but uncomfortable and definitely a factor in the duration of my runs. After a cool down and stopping completely the pain subsides after about 10 minutes.

Looking at some diagrams online it looks like it could be in the region of the peroneus brevis. Is this usually in new runners as the muscle/ligaments build strength or could it be something else? It happens on both treadmill and road/inside hall and albeit not mega expensive running shoes, they comfortable sports trainers.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be great full.

Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Check you have good well fitting and cushioned shoes.  As it's both legs I doubt it's an injury just your body pointing out that it's not used to the new exercise (yet).   Try slowing down a little and try to relax while you run.
  • Options
    This can be seen as an indication by your muscles that they were not capable of carrying out a good run (or as much as you're trying to run) but this is going to get away as the muscles develop the habit of working at this rate. No worries, Happy running.
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments. I must admit it has subsided quite a bit the last couple of runs. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.