Sunday 28th October 2018 - You always wanted a lover

Morning.

Lyrics - You always wanted a lover

Take care Dustin.

Snow emzap? It hasn't made it this far fortunately. Glad you're feeling better.

It's cold! I think your ears will be burning as I stand shivering on the start line Alehouse 
:) 

What:              Leicestershire 10k
Why:               seemed like a good idea in the warmth of Florida
Last hard:       getting my legs to work as well since I got back
Last rest:        14/10

Yesterday's lyrics - Changes - David Bowie.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Just popping in to wish LMH best of luck and say yes, I know those Lyrics
  • Morning!

Go well, LMH! Mind you, they say that one's best race of a season is the seventh at the distance so need to find you six more! 

What: short run/fitness suite

Why: building the weekly volume of running slowly, plus injury prevention.

Lyrics: indeed, and understand!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning again!

LMH: you will be pleased to know that the "seventh at the distance" comment applies to 400/800/1500 on the track. Now there's a thought...
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Nice day here. Wind has dropped to nothing and sun is shining. Forecast to reach dizzy heights of 9°C!
    XC this afternoon followed by swim
    1st one of season
    Last hard Friday
    Lyrics as usual.

Enjoy! LMH.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    All the best LMH

Rare post again, still going in the right direction, a very positive parkrun yesterday in 21:40 followed up by a tiring 7.5m today... (still better than the footy yesterday at the cottage with Jnr)......

Take care all
  • Afternoon!

Good to see you, RFJ! Sounds a better performance yesterday. Is Jnr running at all at present?

Meant to say well done to Don for yesterday's xc, and to Emz on being sensible!

Looking forward to LMH's verdict on today, and OH and Dustin's xc reports. 

Today's short run gave me my biggest week since the first week of January: just under 28k. Building nice and slowly! Was crisp and cold, bright sunshine and windy, so as usual wore lots; nice day for a run, but for me it would probably always have been too cold for good racing.
  • Afternoon

It will be interesting as you say Ale on LMH verdict on her race.

Well done on highest mileage for a while:-)

I don't like to post until after my run just in case it gets jinxed.So today is Aberafan day and good job as temps at home 0 degrees Aberafan 6 degrees;-)

What: 6.60 miles
    Why: Because I could
    Last hard: Wind and sand blowing in my eyes,nose and mouth thank goodness for my buff.
    Lyrics: Yes

It felt slower today but that could be the cold and wind or the 46 miles I had run last week in my legs;-)but a good run regardless.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Sorry to disappoint, AH
    Thought I knew where I was going. I didn't! Eventually arrived at 1401 to see race had started, so slunk off. 😳
  • Oh  no OH what a disappointment for you:-(
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Annoying, OH! Had to smile: at least you didn't get lost during the race, which has happened to me on a supposedly marked cross country race. Managed to follow the guy ahead...the wrong way along a river and ended up in the middle of nowhere in rural Leicestershire. And talking of Leicestershire, hope LMH is enjoying a well-earned post-race lunch!
  • My van is seen arriving on Radio Orkney FB video of the race start!
  • Sorry OH - had to smile at that, I hope you weren't too disappointed.

Sounds like a free facial Poppy  :)

I had an absolutely pants race. A couple of excuses I could use, the less than adequate loo provision meant that I didn't have time for a warm up (despite having arrived in plenty of time) and getting on for half the course was verging on lethal underfoot - huge potholes, rough loose surface - worst than the trails I run on. The wind didn't help either, very exposed course and a strong wind though that probably did contribute to the only saving grace - my first ever mile beginning with a 5 which I suspect was downhill and with a tailwind. Suffice to say it won't be on my race calendar next year.
  • Evening!

Don't be so hard on yourself, LMH! Obviously the wrong course on the wrong day! Consign it to history and move on! (And am sure it was nowhere near as bad as you say!). Hope lunch was good!

Don't like wind, and certainly not wind and sand, WP! That mixture doesn't go well with contact lenses!
  • I couldn't even manage MP for the first two miles Alehouse - that is bad regardless. Everyone seemed to enjoy lunch but the service was so slow we had to cancel our dessert order or risk parking tickets.
  • Lack of warm up would have been a major consideration for me on a cold day like today: need several miles to get going. Shame about puds! 
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Sorry to hear it was "a bit shit" LmH - file it in the drawer marked 'best forgotten' and move on. We've all got a few of those lurking in our race history I'm sure. At least you made the start line.... Sorry OH , your tale did make me smile.

Sounds good WP

What - Southern XC League Race 1 (we host) - wasn't going to go full beans as legs felt ropey yesterday, that said, warm up went OK and didn't seem to be suffering too much. 
    Set off at just over 7mm pace and the first couple of miles is a straight out forest track / sheep field path, before spending 3 1/2 miles snaking back through the trees to the finish. Took a couple of miles to actually relax into it, but by miles 3 and 4 was actually running the best I have been for a couple of weeks. Picking off quite a few runners, and my former training buddy who has been out injured for a while came past me with half a mile to go. I didn't think legs would be willing but we managed to drag each other up a few more places. 

Way off the scorers for the club, but with our ladies 1st overall (out of 24 clubs) and our men 2nd, we comfortably won overall. Tea, sausage rolls and cake afterwards before heading to the junior XC in the afternoon. Some good performances from the little tykes.

Oh and before the XC race, my club presented me with an award for all I do for them plus a voucher for some new shoes. Totally unexpected and very touched by their thoughts. 

Hopefully knee/leg issue is receding. I hope so. 
  • Lovely gesture, Dustin...and sounds like a decent run!
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    That’s a shame LMH, sorry it never went well.

Sounds good Dustin, and a nice gesture from the club.

8 miles in frost, sunshine and stillness.  A perfect morning. However, knee about twice the size it should be.  Ice and ipubrofen has been the order of the day.