Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• Options
    Happy Birthday HA and Happy birthday to me the day before you, I turned 43.

SQ - I am using Adidas energy boost,after posting yesterday I looked online and found the same ones for £48 on Chavsports Direct so I have a new pair in the post. I need to get a racing shoe before Wokingham. Decent pace on that long run.

Nice racing Jools.

5:15 Tom, hope you enjoyed that lie in :o

Just come back from a split LT run, 18 mins then 12 mins. First 18 was ok at 6:00 pace but struggled on the 12 minutes, 6:15 pace. Still, it's early days.

• Options
    Happy birthday Reg and HA. And Macca also for this weekend? It's all happening. 

Decent long runs during the working week as well HA and SQ. Surely just stick some videos on for the kids? Or is it too early for that still. 

Nice session Reg. Think I need to get myself on a bit of a plan to motivate me to do some of the harder stuff. 

Might also have to look at getting myself a pair of these magic shoes if everyone else is talking about them. Will see what Santa has got in his locker. 

Forgot to mention, alongside the silliness of the mince Pi run, we're putting on a load of 5km track races in Battersea Park tomorrow morning. I usually race but this year have decided to DNS as I can't face being so much slower than previous years. Instead, I'm down to pace 18:30. They might be peeling me off the track at the end - think it should just about be manageable though on a track as opposed to parkrun situation. 
  • Options
    Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Feet are better thanks, not sure what all that was about not really had sore soles of my feet - often get sore bridge of the foot, but not soles!

A cold 7.5 miles today for me but made me run it quicker to warm up!

• Options
    Sounds like fun Joe
    Glad to hear it FBT. They've got to get you round a marathon in 9 days.
    Belated birthday wishes Reg & early ones for Macca
  • Options
    Blimey, the thread has taken off big time whilst I spent too many hours at work. One more week and then 5 days off. Put training on the back burner this week running on feel only. Race no. 2 of my winter series tomorrow and the forecast is strong winds plus snow. Sigh.

Great to see Westy and Tom back on here. At least I have virtual company on my 5am runs now with Tom ;) Sorry to hear both of you had family issues :(

I very nearly lost my husband to cardiac arrest in April so 2018 goes down as a proper shit year in my book too.

Almost taper time, FBT

Happy birthday, Reg. I love those split LT sessions. The second lot is bloody hard.

Muddy: very interesting about those shoes. I think Hazel and I should sue Nike for being sexist by not offering an equivalent for women ;)

Office Xmas party last night ... Boy am I feeling it today. Kudos to Jools for his impressive partying and racing skills. No idea how he does it.

6 miles in the biting wind and a hot bath afterwards made me feel vaguely human again.
  • Options
    Muddy - I think I’m recovered now, but as you suggest it’s taken a good while. Any fatigue at the moment is the result of burning the candle both ends. I’ve enjoyed tracking HRV, which came about as a result of your advice. Useful. You may have cost me £200. Very convincing arguments for the Vapourflys. 

Happy birthday Reg. Racing flats for a half definitely work for me. Nice LTing. 

I was a Scrooge, Joe. And forced some integration down their necks. Hope the pacing went well. 

Perfect hangover cure, Hazel. 

Feeling fairly fatigued from Thursday’s long run and a couple of late nights. Had the opportunity to do parkrun without the buggy today, but new I’d have nothing special in me. So ran there and back to give 10M total. parkrun at about tempo effort, for 19:28. Back on the winter course which involves a fair amount of overtaking. 

Tomorrow is the the second Santa dash in a row, this time around Draycote Water. A good venue, that holds loads of events. Fairly flat, tarmac, traffic free and scenic, it’s about 5M round the reservoir. This time I’ll be with my sleigh (buggy). 

Looking forward to starting P&D on Monday. Going a week early to give greater flexibility for Christmas week, especially with a race on the Friday thrown in. Jooligan are you around for the 7Sins this year?
  • Options
    @chicksta hope things are good now for your other half. The Vaporflys shoes are unisex ... is that why you winked ? Which is weird as I have big flipper feet so maybe women may have to size down a bit ?

Well done on the 10m this morning SQ. A freezing trudge round and round the reservoir for me and 12 miles was all I could tolerate. I have some leeway to run tomorrow so not too fussed about not doing a proper long run.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    That sounds tough & scary Chicksta. Hope OH has got the all clear now. Well done on getting out in grim conditions despite the hangover.
    Fatigue is all I know at the moment as not really sleeping enough or well SQ. Not entered 7Sins & it's sold out apparently. Probably not around for it anyway. Which day are you doing in case I am? 
    Up at Newtown parkrun this morning. I was 2nd in an unremarkable 20:09. Course was 100m long so 5K in sub 20 but should've been a quicker course even with the headwind from 1-2.5K & again for the last K as it's mainly flat tarmac with just 4 v.short but sharp rises & 3 dead turns to slow you down. Backed that up with Skirrid Fell Race: short (3.5M) & sharp (1100ft). Conditions were grim although not as cold as forecast but I didn't hang around at the finish for more than a minute or 2 before jogging the half mile back to the pub with it's welcoming log fire & refreshments. Another slightly sub par performance but not as bad as Blorenge a fortnight ago. Another week at work then I might start to feel refreshed - if I don't end up drinking too much :D
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for your concerns, guys. Hubby is as good as new. No lasting damage to the heart. In fact, his cardiologist said if he didn't know the history he couldn't tell from ultrasound and stress ECG. He's on beta blockers and some other heart medication but getting along well with the pills. At least I know now that anyone can perform CPR. You can't do anything wrong. The only wrong would be doing nothing. I broke a couple of his ribs, btw but they've long  since healed.

Maybe you should cut down your race calendar a bit, Jools. Don't wear yourself out too much and get injured. Still impressive times in my book.

Hope you had fun at the Santa Dash, SQ.

Pleasing result at today's 20+ k race (course is 100m long). 3 mins quicker than a month ago for same HR. 1:37:06 running each lap progressively faster. 24:40, 24:20, 24:15, 23:49. 9th woman, and 1st W50 again. Only one W45 was ahead, the rest were kids ;)
    Took a few scalps on the last lap which was fun. Two girls had passed me on lap 3 but I reeled them back in on lap 4 plus a few blokes too. It was bloody freezing with a strong wind on some of the straights but no snow. Wore thermals, 2 merino tops, a sleeveless windbreaker, hat and gloves. Couldn't feel my feet for the first 10k which was quite odd and never took those gloves off. Face was frozen solid and hubby was pleased that I couldn't speak for a while :D

• Options
    Top result Chicksta, perfect pacing & great progress over the month. How cold was it to require that many layers?! Glad to hear your hubby's fully recovered.
    I was in T-shirt & shorts here for my 20M though I was wearing gloves. I got cold once the rain kicked in properly after 15. It was about 5 degrees without the windchill btw.
    Here's a pic from yesterday's fell race. I only wore the jacket because we had to take one, just a vest underneath.

• Options
    That looks scary!

It was -3 without the wind chill. Felt lots colder, believe me.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Me or the terrain :p This is the easy bit :D
    Temperatures had risen to a balmy +3 by race time yesterday having been freezing til about 11am. Not sure what temperature it was up top at 500m+. Windchill was significant given we were soaked. A couple of hardcore souls kept their jackets in their bumbags racing in vests! 
  • Options
    Chick - great result, always fun to be picking people off at the end. Sounds freezing though.

Jools - likewise, just thinking of those guys in vests makes me shiver. Another great weekend of training for you, as the others have said, just make sure you’re not just absolutely knackered. 

Decent weekend of running for me. The 5kms of Christmas at Battersea track Saturday morning. I paced 18:30, which was a pretty tasty effort and I don’t think I could’ve gone much faster if I was actually racing. I was just about in control though and ran even splits.

Unfortunately, after about 2km no one else in the race could hold the pace (all the heats were seeded, this one was 18:30-19:00), so it was just a solo run which was a bit odd. Also, katie was in my heat and was tripped after 300m, cutting her leg and bruising her hand, so I was worried about her for the rest of the race. Thankfully no serious damage done. 

Then yesterday day we had the mince Pi run, laps of 5km. Ran with some club mates for the first few, until more and more dropped out, and after 8 I was running solo (10 was the max you could do). Slight drama when the course got flooded by the river and we were having to wade through up to our waists at one point each lap. 

In the end, was pleased with how comfortable 10 felt. 31 miles @ 8mm. Legs are slightly sore today though. Off for a swim.
  • Options
    Glad all turned out well Chiksta, sounds like you saved the day B)

SQ you love a Santa Dash, clearly, hope the sleigh didn't slow you down too much.

Impressive ultra stuff Joe, that's good pace and shows how much stregth you still have with everyone else dropping out.

Love the picture Jools, glad to see you're maximising the use out of those gloves!

Completed week 2 of PL plan with no issues yet, 38 miles for the week, Endure 24 week aside, that's my highest mileage.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Definitely you rather than the terrain Jools. I can imagine someone going for a quiet walk in the hills when you emerge from the mist, full gurn, charging straight for them. Sounds perfect though, a tough run then back to a pub with a fire. 

Joe - Typically nutty. I've hit some pretty decent puddles recently but nothing much above my ankles. Up to your waist is time to start swimming. Did you eat any pies during the run or did you wait until after?

Chicksta - sounds like you ran a great race in tough conditions.

FBT - Glad to foot is ok. Is your marathon this weekend?

Happy Birthday Reg and Macca.

Another solid week last week, finishing at about 68 miles. Not pushing too hard and feeling very much in control. Out for about 11 miles this morning with 7.5 miles muddy, hilly tempo. Felt good but didn't push particularly hard. Had a few stumbles in the dark and one fall similar to the U23 mens winner at the European XC champs the other week. I got a few funny looks coming into work covered in mud.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/athletics/46500176

• Options
    That's a very solid week HA. Should be in a good place to start the training proper.
    Likewise Reg. Gloves suffered a bit as I fell at least 3 times on the fell proper.
    Cracking w/e Joe. Impressive holding 18:30 pace for the remaining 3K with no real incentive/necessity. Fine pace on the 50K too especially with the aqua-running section.
    In an attempt to listen to my body I'm having a day off running today as my legs are battered. Did a decent gym session this morning: core/upper body but left the legs in peace.
  • Options

You always seem to have great Pics Jools.

I think at -3 deg C I'd just have to sit that one out on the touchline with the half-time oranges and the fat wheezy boys with a note from matron, while you young bloods go for the final glorious scrum down.

Only 12 miles for me this weekend - what a slacker! not looking forward to Portsmouth marathon next Sunday (Next weekend HA), but its done its job, of getting my base fitness back up there for the big push in Jan where proper marathon training starts.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Some great racing going on!

Chick-Fantastic race in those conditions-well done for the scalps!

Joe-Awesome weekend of running-31 miles, Mental stuff!! How many mince pies did you eat during/after that ?

Jools-Great picture - looked brutal so not surprised you are giving your legs a break today!

Very solid week HA-looks like you are in good shape to start off the campaign proper.

I managed 16 miles yesterday-which is the furthest I have run in 3 months- to bring up 50 for the week. I'm very unfit and my foot is a bit sore again today....frustrating!

• Options
    runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Great to see the early starts from Tom again, putting us all to shame. Hope the foot is just a small blip.

Happy birthday and nice running HA. I seem to recall reading barometer cleaning advice on the DC Rainmaker site which might help? Otherwise there is an option on Garmin and Strava to override the built-in reading, although I’m not sure if you can make it always do that, or if you have to correct each run individually.

No worries SQ, I’m often in my own world while out running too. Very strong mid-week long run and great Santa running again at the weekend.

Our experiences with the Vaporflys seem very similar muddy. 

Solid first LT run Reg, as you say early days. Happy birthday too.

Glad feet are feeling better FBT.

Well done on the age-group win chicksta.

Great photo Jools. Glad to hear you’re listening to your body a little and having a day off. I think you’ve earned it!?

Top work at the Mince Pi run Joe. That’s quite a flood if it was up to your waist!

A decent 19 mile long run yesterday took me up to 90 miles for the week. Pace a good 20s/mi slower than this time last year, but I’m trying (albeit largely failing) to not compare and just trust the process. Legs are feeling decent at least, and the feet are feeling good.

Quite icy in places this morning for my recovery, nearly went flying a couple of times. Currently on my way down to London for a Christmas party, hoping to get a few runs in on my old routes although that’s dependant on how heavy tonight is I suppose!

• Options
    Joe's only short Spoons, probably only knee deep really :p
    Hope the weather gets better by Sunday FBT or that could be a miserable marathon.
    Hope the foot's nothing serious Tom.
    Feeling twitchy having not run yet but as my foot is currently on ice so probably best I carry on being sensible.
  • Options
    Nice work Reg, consistency coming back nicely. 

HA, likewise, getting a great base in for an assault on London. 

Good luck this weekend FBT.

Tom - hope that foot doesn't cause you too much further trouble. 

Spoons - another good week. Be careful in that ice. Where abouts in London are you going to be?
  • Options
    To be fair, maybe I was talking it up slightly. More like thigh deep than waist. Katie arrived at the 'water jump' to find a group of guys afraid to get their feet wet. She wasn't prepared to start faffing around;

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Brilliant pics, Joe. Love the way Katie just surges on while those guys ought to zip their Yuki suits up ;) Does 8 laps mean you had to delve into those waters 8 times? You must have been freezing! Great effort.

Impressive weekly mileage, spoons.

Tom: watch that foot. Those little setbacks are so frustrating when you come back from injury. It's always a matter of testing the water and see how far you can go. Perhaps 45 miles is ok? Only one way to find out ... 

Just a 5 mile recovery jog today. Legs are fine but the rest of me is tired, mainly due to work stress. 4 more days ...
  • Options

Blimey - that looks Grim.... wouldn't get me going through that!!!!

Jools - I am expecting a miserable marathon on Sunday. Im just a fair weather runner really, not hardcore like yourself.

• Options
    7Sins on Friday for me, Jooligan. Trimax just released a few returned places, if you do fancy it. Cracking effort on the fell race in what must have been horrible conditions. So, legs in peace or pieces?

That’s a relief, chicksta. And good work on the cpr. Great racing from you and nice to see the progression from last outing. Sounds cold!

Joe - oh my god, wading up to your waist sounds tough. Fantastic cheeky ultra there. Seem to be a few of those going on at the moment. Hope Katie ok. EDIT: just seen the photos. Strong technique from Katie. The puppy wading through it did make me laugh though. 

Great consistency, Reg. well done on the LT run aswell. With strong winds forecast tomorrow I’m fearing mine. 

Great week, HA. Loved the slide - what a pillock. 

Good stuff, FBT. It’ll hopefully put you in a great place. Don’t forget to enjoy the marathon! 

Sorry to hear about the foot, Tom. Can some of Spoons’ advice help? 

Well done on the big week and big long Run Spoons. It’s coming. ‘Getting a few runs in’ - how long is the Christmas party? Sounds a good one!

Really enjoyable second Santa dash yesterday. I not some kind of addict, just my only two ever had been on consecutive weekends. This was on an undulating tarmac route around a pretty reservoir. Just jogging as had the buggy. The organisers had asked me to start at the back. This was an error with hundreds in front on me. Had to walk the first k, but eventually found some parallel paths so could overtake. Certainly not one for going fast with the buggy, but the reindeer got cold towards the end (my daughter, rather than another euphemism). Put the hammer down after 6 k and finished the 8k 6:30miling! The wife was second (again). Certainly picks her races. 

5M recovery this morning, starting ‘the’ plan a week early, to allow for flexibility next week. Then a huge day of digging in the garden - absolutely knackered! Stiff back. That, and the 18mph winds, don’t bode terribly well for 9w4 at LT tomorrow, but it’ll be what it’ll be. 
  • Options
    Well done on your 2nd Santa run of the season SQ. I gave up digging the garden for that very reason. At least you're on holiday already.
    Legs were in pieces so I left them in peace. P&D has a rest day scheduled for today anyway & just 8 GA w Strides tomorrow. Might jump on the work TM looking at the forecast.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Well done on the 20km race Chicksta
    Great pics Jools (you look like an absolute beast there!) and Joe/Katie - love the way Katie is showing the lads how its done.
    Ticking along nicely here, fitting my runs in as and when I can around family and the baby. Managing about 60 miles a week, so very happy considering. Heading out today for a few miles in the wind and storm!
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    AWC 60 miles a week will give you a great base. Nice work. 
    Hope the legs are feeling better today Jools?
    Despite yesterday’s bravado, I swapped sessions round today and will leave the LT until tomorrow. Absolutely ridiculous wind - although it was of help at times. 12M MLR at 7:13 average pace. This was splitting the P&D long run pace range in half. Is that how most aim for their MLRs?
  • Options
    Nice MLR there SQ though I note it's slower than some of your recent LRs have been.
    A consistent 60mpw is a good place to be AWC.
    Although it wasn't actually raining when I got to work the wind was howling & having driven through it I knew what was coming so I was glad to be indoors this morning. Right foot still sore SQ but the added cushioning of the TM allowed me to get 8M with strides in without inflicting any further damage. I did 7x 200m(including acceleration)@16kph/300m(incl deceleration)@12 before a final 300m@17kph & a K cooldown.