P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• SQ - Enjoy the marathon.... Enjoy !!!!

Its a marathon! Its not there to be enjoyed!

• Some nice ultras from Joe and Macca recently!!

Not had time to catch up, but hope everyone is good. Still running, should be back to 40 miles this week and still doing a 90 minute session on the turbo trainer. Long runs back up to 13 miles, building slowly but feel really slow!!

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Steve - Nice work. 13 miles is a decent long run now. I'm sure pace will come.

FBT - Have fun on the weekend.

SQ - Nice work on the second santa dash. I agree Jools on the gardening - a solid day gardening is much more risky than any session you could do. Solid start to the program. I couldn't tell you how to run a MLR as I don't do any. When I did it was mainly just to feel, so sometimes they would just be at an easy pace, while others would progress to a steady pace ~MP + 10% by the end.

Jools - hope the foot settles. Well done on giving your legs a rest.

AWC - 60 mpw is solid mileage considering all that's going on. Well done. I'm sure soon enough you'll find yourself slipping into a pattern that will allow you to build a bit more if you like.

Joe - Like the pics, although it looks like the water level is below Katie's knee, so more like mid-shin depth. I really like the second pic. I'd like to think the little girl watching is the daughter of the guy crashed on the bank. Speaking of embarrassing dads, my daughter won't stand near me at junior parkrun anymore because I embarrass her by cheering people on. Sign of things to come no doubt.

Up to the track this morning for more 300s, 200s, 100s. Really wasn't feeling it this morning. Legs felt dead and on the 300s I struggled to hold the pace after 150m so I cut the session short. No double tonight due to xmas shopping. I'll probably still try to get in 100km this week but then I've got no plans for the following 2 weeks and will be very light, probably just at the right time. 
  • runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Slightly exaggerating there Joe. Impressive work from Katie though. 

Good luck for the weekend FBT.

60 miles per week with a new baby is very impressive AWC, great work. Hope the family are well.

I tend to end up at the faster end of the P&D range generally SQ, but it varies. For me it’s about keeping them steady enough to be a good workout, without being so fast you impact the rest of the week. Decent pace given the conditions!

Hope the foot heals up Jooligan.

Getting there Steve, it will come.

Sounds sensible to knock the session on the head HA

I managed to get out for a quick recovery run on Monday after getting in to London. It was weird being back on my old routes, and at one point I almost slipped in to autopilot and started heading back "home". I was in no state to run yesterday morning though! My feet were also feeling quite sore after a night of standing and dancing in hard leather shoes, so a day of rest was probably for the best.

Felt great this morning though for twelve miles out along the canal. The conditions were great, and everything just seemed to flow - the miles flew by and the heart rate was right where it should be. It was how I remember these runs feeling back when training was going really well, and probably the best run I’ve had since the injury layoff. Obviously you can't read too much in to one run, but hopefully it’s a sign things are heading in the right direction.

• Morning all
    Steve you seem to be building nicely. 
    HA what you describe is how I think I’ll approach them. Yesterday was thinking about the pacing you say, I think the second one this week will just be easy and to feel. Sounds like a couple of lighter weeks will work nicely for you - you have some good consistency nd higher mileage of late. 
    Thanks spoons, helpful to get a variety of inputs. Thinking of the week’s workload will be important. Sounds a good run today, amazing what a night of partying can do for you!
    This morning was the postponed LT from yesterday. A bit concerned about how a relatively punchy MLR in the wind might leave the legs, but really happy with the session. 9M at 6:43 average, with 4M on the track at 6:00, 6:00, 6:02, 6:04. I think HMP PB shape is 6:02 so happy with these, solo and with 10mph winds. Obviously it is always faster on track than roads, and I donned the racing flats to help. Nonetheless, a very solid session. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Great session SQ.
    Sounds like you were feeling the benefits of a day off after a big few weeks Spoons.
    Christmas shopping sounds like a tough session to me HA.
    Glad to hear things are progressing nicely Steve

• Going back a few days but happy birthdays to Reg and HA.  

Chicksta I think the CPR performance tops anything else that could be posted on this thread, well done sounds a bit inadequate.  That said the 20+k race sounds like it was perfectly paced, great stuff.

Great pic Jools, I read of a race being abandoned at the weekend after freezing rain so I would lump you in with the hardcore lot.

Great pics as well Joe, well done on the 5k pacing and ultra combo.  I'm sure the perspective of water depth is greater when you are in it.

Solid weeks being posted, HA, Reg, AWC and Tom - Tom, take it easy with the foot.

SQ - sounds like a strong finish in the Santa Dash.  Glad you cleared up the potential confusion over the "cold (red nosed) reindeer"!  I think I tend to run the MLR towards the slower end of the spectrum (MP+ 10% to 20%) or even slower.  I've often thought I might have progressed faster by pushing on but then again I've seldom felt tired and it probably helps with transferring to the longer stuff.  Although important, I suspect they are less of a key session and more of a mileage builder so my guess is you have a bit of leeway and can run a bit to feel.  Decent LT btw.

Steve - keep playing the long game, good progress.

FBT - I'll second that, enjoy your marathon.  If nothing else, a decent long run ?

Spoons, great 12m this morning, I love those sort of runs.  Not so good taking a day off after a night of drinking and dancing <in cheek>.

HA - not easy squeezing everything in this time of year, probably a sensible decision to cut short.  My 6yr old daughter wouldn't let me wear my santa hat the other day out of embarrassment.  I don't remember being self-conscious until much older. 

A busy few days here.  I've managed to negotiate the works xmas do and my birthday with little disruption to the schedule, 2 1/2 weeks in now.  I moved the first official MP session to Friday and extended it a bit.  It came out sub 6:30 for the MP section which does worry me as a bit too close to HMP (or inaccurate watch) but I'd be surprised if I could maintain 12m at HMP in training so I'll just go with it for now.  The opportunity to run from home to Croydon (35m) for a works meeting was too good to resist on Monday despite the 5am start.  Parts of it weren't the most inspiring route, down the A5, through Hyde Park, Clapham Common, Tooting Bec Common (got a bit lost there) then down Streatham High Street.  Luckily the meeting wasn't very interactive.  Legs felt ok next day for a 14m MLR.

• Quick scan through:

Belated happy birthday Reg and Macca. 

Glad to hear your OH has recovered well Chicksta. Reminds me I really should get on a first aid course again.  Well done on the 1st F50 in tough sounding conditions. 

Another nice pic Jools.

Nice 5k track pacing Joe.  And of course on the 10 pis including wading.  Good attitude from Katie regarding the water.  Maybe the guys on the bank could have negotiated with the dog walker to borrow his wellies.  No. 5 did get well into it though.

Good luck in Portsmouth FBT.

Nice second round of santa dashing SQ.

Massive commute run Macca. 

Good luck to all starting in on mara plans now, hope the weather won't cause too much disruption.

I'm continuing to tick off the boxes of P&L with an odd bit of plan shuffling here and there to fit in life and work as well. 
  • Think I'm coming under fire for over estimating the water depth :D To be fair, those photos were on lap 3, when the water was still rising. By lap 5, the organiser had suggested people take an alternative route (it was all a bit of a shambles), but we asked if we could continue at our own risk. Hence why the photographer wasn't as that point anymore as not many were running full laps.

Macca, been an absolutely humungous few days for you (just seen the latest LT run on strava on top of everything else!). That run to Croydon was just mad. Love it.

Great to hear the mojo is coming back Spoons. Maybe you need to go out drinking and dancing more often...

HA - sounds like a couple of lighter weeks coming at an ideal time. You've already built a great base to kick start into the new year.

SQ - lovely LT session there mate. 

First run since Sunday this morning, 8 miles at an easy effort, everything felt pretty good. Off to the panto tonight!
  • Macca that’s simply incredible. To spot in some 6:15s in that little block is amazing. I honestly reckon you could run a 2:50 Now with a short taper. 
    Haha fair enough, Joe. Although good to see the forum keeping you honest. You seemed to have recovered well and mojo on the up. 
    Big session tomorrow: another day of gardening. The chamelias won’t plant themselves. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Spoons - saw that 12 miler on Strava. Very impressive at this stage

steve - glad to see you are back building up some good mileage. Will stand you in good stead for the new year campaigns. 

SQ - good luck with the chamelias!!

Macca - very impressive training ultra and fantastic LT off the back of that. Have to agree with Joe!

Joe - nice 5km. Took inspiration for Katie and ploughed through some big puddles I’d normally dodge this morning! Nothing like her river but got pretty wet and muddy

HA - sounds like a tough track session

15 mile run round Portland this morning, with a few big puddles. Was down sorting out my mother in laws leaky roof and there was no way I was missing a decent run round the island. Love that place. Stunning views - got a few of them up on Strava for you to enjoy. 
  • Good to see everyone's going proper run crazy in honour of the coming Spring though Macca's taken it all to a whole other level with 2 MLRs in 2 days (the 2nd of which included a sub 19 5K) off the back of a 40M day. Speechless tbh.
    Go easy on the Camellia planting SQ.
    Cracking photos AWC & vertiginous climbs. You certainly had the best of the week's weather there.
    Certainly more scenic than my run today. 2hrs on the treadmill staring at some increasingly sweaty loon :D A progressive 26.2K averaging 7:20 min/Mile & peaking at 6:30. Wasn't sure I'd be able to finish the session as the sweat pouring off me was making the belt slippy so my trainers were losing traction :s Ignored it though & kept on ramping up the pace each mile.

• Thanks for the well wishes this weekend. Looking at the forecast Im starting to wonder why I chose a winter marathon Light rain and breeze, could be worse I guess.

But I am strictly a fair weather runner, not like you hardcore nutters. Tortoises don't like rain and wind!

Last run today before Sunday. As Macca said - it will be a decent long run (well by my standards not his)

• Morning all. 
    Looked a great run, AWC. Stunning location and great photos. 
    Absolute sweat fest, Jools!
    Best of luck FBT. I’ll say it again: enjoy!
    Recovery plod this morn. 6M at 8:30s on grass. Needed. 
  • Very solid LT pace there SQ, great work. For what it’s worth, that’s the kind of pace I was doing for 2 mile reps on the track this time last year, and look how that turned out by April!

Perhaps Jooligan, although I certainly didn’t feel very rested! I originally had a session on the plan for yesterday but binned it for the easy run as I didn’t feel up for it.

Incredible stuff from you Macca. As you say, 12 @ HMP in training is unlikely, so sounds like you’re just in superb shape. Just rewards for your consistent training.

Great work ticking the boxes Hazel, easier said than done at this time of year.

Apparently so Joe, although I couldn’t manage Jooligan level escapades. Perhaps there’s a middle-ground to be found…

Portland run looked beautiful on Strava AWC.

Glad I’m not the only one who gets ridiculously sweaty on the treadmill Jooligan. Very solid run.

Forecast could definitely be worse this time of year FBT.

Another great easy run this morning, down to 7:20/mi average and average HR of 158 which is low for me. It’s odd, like a switch has suddenly flipped and my body remembers how to run properly again. Hopefully my patience in gradually building things back up has started to pay off, fingers crossed things continue like this...

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Fucking hell Macca. Super impressive few runs there. With form like that, I'd be seeing if there was a decent marathon to run in January.

Spoon - great that you're back running well. Makes things so much more fun too.

Jooligan - Nice TM progression. I would suggest that 2 hours on a treadmill is a bit crazy but it's pretty ho hum for you. Great pace too. Don't worry, I didn't have to do any xmas shopping (negotiating busy shops is my worst nightmare) but my wife going out meant I had to stay in with the kids.

AWC - Nice Portland run. That's what it's all about.

Joe - Hope the panto was good. Coming from Oz, I still don't get how they are so popular. Glad the running is ticking along well. 

A couple of recovery plods for me too. 6 miles this morning then another 4 at lunch.
  • Spoons - Nice to hear things are coming back together for you!
    Hazel - Keep ticking those boxes and then the results will come.

The GF has been leading my sisters on a couch to 5k, they are doing the 5k at Parkrun Saturday, so I plan to run/walk with one of them and the GF with the other, I'll do that after my 14 miler!

• Spoons - yes the weather could be worse...I like it when it final feels like its all feeling right again when you get back into full training.

Final run today and felt a sore pain in my knee - must be phantom pains as not had any problem in training runs!

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Morning all
    That comparison is good to hear, spoons. Although you were combining those reps with 115M weeks! Well done on another really pleasing run for you. Coming together nicely. 
    Taper madness surely, FBT. You’ll be fine. 
    Despite it being the holidays, my body wasn’t keen to sleep past 5am. So got up and cracked on with the first long run of the plan: 17.1M at 7:02m/m average. Marginally progressive effort, necessitated by the hillier second half. Really pleased with the output for the steady effort input. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Doing a good deed Steve. Hope it goes well.

FBT - I'm sure the knee pain is nothing. Good luck for Sunday.

SQ - another good long run. Well done. I really like that steady sort of long run. I just don't like plodding around for 2.5 hours.

Long run for me too, 20 miles this morning, pretty grim out there, windy and misty / light rain the whole way. Managed to build the pace a bit through the run, up to about MP + 10% at the end. Averaged about 6:50/mile which wasn't too bad. Might do an easy lunch trot today, we'll see. 
  • Well done HA & SQ - is is a bit grim out there, hope its better on Sunday! Looking like it will be pretty muddy though in sections, and I might get wet feet if I take too long!

• Hope you enjoyed the panto Joe.

Gardening can be good cross training SQ.  I have spent quite a bit of time chasing errant leaves around but they are all off the trees and tidied away now.  Winter cross training = snow shovelling but none of that around in the next few days, currently pouring with rain and windy. 

Nice pics from Portland AWC.  I hope the leaky roof is fixed.

Great progression run on the TM Jools - saw that on Strava. 

Very pleased to see you are well back into your running spoons. 

Good luck for the parkrun group tomorrow SteveMac.

Great long runs by SQ and HA.

First set of longer intervalls for me yesterday with 6 x 1km taking 2:30 recoveries.  Came out at 4:06, 4:09, 4:13, 4:12, 4:16, 4:12 so not too bad by my standards for a first attempt in a while.  The last four are only just quicker than 10k PB pace though so I should be looking at doing all 6 at 4:06 and faster.   Will work on it.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Good long runs at this stage HA & SQ especially in these windy conditions
    Hazel: not bad intervals - always find them tough when I haven't done them in a while. I'm sure those times will quickly come down
    Steve: good luck with the parkrun group this weekend
    FBT: sounds like a bit of a phantom niggle at this stage designed to spook you - good luck for the marathon. Hopefully this south coast 'breeze' calms down a bit
    Jools: beast of a treadmill session there!
    Very windy 7.5mi this morning - according to BBC it was gusting to 45mph down here. Didn't feel that bad but strong enough. I'm in work until lunchtime today and then we are all off for our Christmas lunch out today and this evening. Think I will be making a quick escape as I can't be doing with a late night and lots of alcohol. I've been going to bed at 9pm which has really helped me catch up on sleep.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.

Looks like I'm benched again for the foreseeable with a tendinitis injury again-the one between the lower shin and top of foot at the front of the ankle this time-so will rest it now and try again in the new year. Quite hard to take as I was just starting to make a small bit of progress.

Anyway, just wanted to wish you all a very Happy Christmas....have a great time and enjoy whatever you are doing. Run a few extra miles for me if you can!

Hope to be back on here in 2019.
  • Seem's everyone is out shopping and running?  Sorry to hear that Tom.  Speedy recovery to you. 
  • Real bummer that Tom, not the school holiday curse again. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Nice long runs SQ/HA and even longer Macca & Joe.

Decent training elsewhere; Hazel, AWC.

I've completed week 3 of P&L, first time I've ever stuck to a plan for this long without getting injured. Long run today of the progressive variety, ended up doing 12 miles, finishing with a couple at LT, added a cool down mile for 13.1 in 1:29. I'm not really feeling the benefits of the training yet, speedwise. I'm hoping I am going to get a switch flicked like Spoons.
  • What a rubbish time of year to be injured Tom. Hope the festive fun helps it heal quickly.
    Nice progression Reg. 3 weeks is still quite early to be noticing appreciable gains. You've probably run more miles in the last 3 weeks than at any similar period in the last 3 years so might also have to wait for those adaptations to kick in too.
    Decent reps Hazel
    Quality twenties there from SQHA.
    Another 20M for me today round the Forest trails. Legs were tired after a long day yesterday (7 with PR + 5) so nothing remotely progressive or speedy about it - the 500ft climb in Mile 19 was tough! Tough going in road shoes as soon as I strayed off the fire trails :D At least I dodged the rain, even saw some sunshine for a minute or two here & there :o
    Hope FBT had a good 26.2 today :)
  • Merry Christmas everyone, hope you have a lovely few days.

Tom. That’s shit mate. Really sorry to hear.

Good to see the foundations are being laid Reg.

500ft at mile 19. No thanks Jools.

Been getting in some decent training the last few days. All set up for the 3rd annual Christmas Day marathon tomorrow morning, with the aim to finish at parkrun at 9. Then ready for plenty of food and drink.

• Sorry to read that Tom, hopefully
    you will be back in the New Year.

Reg I’m sure with a decent block of training in you the speed will come on race day.

Solid time on feet Jools with a few races in the legs.

Those look like speedy reps Hazel, well done.

Well done on squeezing in the LRs before the weekend SQ and Ha.  A very good one from Spoons spied either on here or Strava.

HA - lol,I hear what you’re saying but I think I need a decent half before thinking about a full, although I did look for a mara but there’s not much around this time of year plus I’ve got a 43 miler early Jan and Southern xc late Jan.

FBT - hope you had a decent day yesterday.

Joe - all the best for the Xmas mara, I’d love something like that but I dont think the kids would appreciate waiting 4hrs for their presents or the oh for that matter.

A decent progressive LR for me yesterday in the dark cold and wet but I didn’t notice that too much as I was enjoying the challenge.  Apart from a few undulations at the beginning messy with the pace it was fairly progressive albeit hard work towards the end.

Merry xmas all.
  • Happy Christmas everyone. 

Hope everything went well FBT and that Joe is enjoying / has enjoyed his mara too.

Well done on the P&L progress Reg.