P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Joe: feeling pretty good. Looking forward to racing, especially as the forecast is looking good. Great news on the job - must be a relief! Sounds like a nice 13mi round Richmond Park.
    SQ: desk has been delayed by a week. They've run out of stock!
    Spoons: good LT session in a 100mi week. Mornings like that are always tough to get up to speed - I find I'm maybe 5-10s/mi slower than if I did it later in the day when I was properly warmed up.
  • george_george_ ✭✭✭
    It's cold today. No time or inclination for anything more than a 5 mile lunchtime jog.

Jools-101 races in a year? machine!

TR-The LR takes approx 10 seconds off a mile, then the same times in reverse. The gradual slowdown was much harder than i thought

FBT-At the risk of protesting too hard, my 3:10 target is about right I think! I only run to eat loads of food anyway so I do gain quite a bit with just a couple of weeks off, but it comes off again just as quick

Joe-Congrats on the new job. The most important consideration of course is how good the new lunchtime running routes are!

Spoons/SQ-It's great to natter geeky stuff with like minded people without sending them to sleep. It's what this forum's for
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    AWC - i was looking at Southampton as a back up to Brighton in case of bad weather or illness for Brighton, but ive been banned by the SPO (sports prevention officer) as we have a family wedding on the saturday and she doesnt want me trying to avoid the wedding.

Spoons - 20 x 1k is a big session. Ive done 10 x 1M a couple of times in 1/2 IM build up but not before a mara, it'd be a good mara session too. 6 or 7 reps are ok and then the piano gets dropped onto your back. A bit like a marathon.

SQ - wise re the LT. Nice 14 too. I have a 10k sunday so probably wont do any reps next midweek. No point overreaching.

George - that still a tough run.only when it slows right down did you get comfortable no doubt.

12m run home tonight, could be an icy run back in the morning.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Welcome back HPR and welcome George. Congrats Steve!

I see lots of good training elsewhere, reinforced by the fact that I have been going pretty well and I'm still languishing in mid-table mediocrity on the Strava group leaderboard.

I'm on week 6 of the P&L HM plan for Wokingham started on the 31-47 plan but I have been topping it up to the extent I am now doing something more akin to the next plan up. Really enjoying it actually and fingers crossed no real injuries yet.
  • Reg I'd noted your consistency on Strava. I think this has been the longest spell of run training you've put together since I joined the thread a couple of years ago. Fingers crossed you can keep it up til Wokey.
    Joe Good news on the job. Enjoy your last few days of freedom by smashing some training :) Sorry to hear Katie is suffering yet another injury. HA's hypothesis makes a lot of sense -  I was running for 10 years before picking up an injury but I was doing very low mileage and all slow/steady too. I never did any intervals/reps/tempo work at all for 7 years. I hadn't joined a club or discovered parkrun so was only doing a couple of HM a year & after 3 years an annual mara (or 2)
    Macca Only 15 races but 4(?) of them were 100 milers! Mine ranged from a leg of 4x100m up to Tri-X
    George I think you are being overly cautious with a 3:10 target but if you're happy with that then stick with it. No harm in pacing it that way to 20M then smashing the last 10K if you've got plenty left in the tank. Probably better than my usual strategy of overreaching then dying in the latter stages :s
    TR Certainly was cold out there tonight. Another solid week you're putting together. Will tomorrow's return leg be the short version?
    15M along the canal this evening after work. Wish I could run all the way home instead but not keen on the 5 miles on narrow & twisty but busy roads without any pavement.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the new job BR.

Nice consistent pace there Spoons and fantastic mileage.

Great pace for an easy effort MLR SQ!

I don't envy you running that far in the dark Jooligan. Nice work.

13 mile MLR went OK. Average pace nothing special but the legs felt fine and it was a fantastic calm day. Two easy days now before XC on Sat ;-)
  • TR SPO  :D Hope the double run commute went well.

Hi Reg. Great you're injury free. Hope the plan keeps progressing well. You'll smash Abingdon if so. You had a bit of a grim look on your face when I passed you last year. You'll be a long way ahead this year no doubt.

Jooligan a shame you haven't quite got a run commute option. But you do well with the partial drive there. Nice 15M.

Good luck with the XC, Ramjet, and nice MLR. It was so nice without the wind yesterday, wasn't it?

6M recovery on grass this morning at 8:30 pace. Cold but quite nice conditions. That said, I can't wait for the mornings to get lighter again. Legs felt ok, but calves a little sore. However, yesterday was my first return to the gym since last term. Upper body, especially lower back, very stiff today.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Joe - Great news on the job. I'm assuming you let them know that training is the priority and that work is just an inconvenience required to pay the bills. Maybe I'm just projecting how I feel about work. Good MLR.

Good LT Spoon, MLRs from Ramjet, TR and Jools and good decision to drop the LT SQ

Great that you're injury free and going well Reg. Expecting big things if this continues.

I'm with you on the run commute Jools. It really disappoints me that I can't do it at my current job. It's about 26 miles and plenty of busy roads without footpaths.

Did a Wednesday double yesterday, following up the morning Mona Fartlek with an unstructured 9 mile fartlek last night, involving a few short hill sprints and some uphill surges. Just something short and easy today.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    TR: I was thinking I've never heard of the SPO and then I read on :) Soton is by no means the fastest course but its certainly a course you could PB on. It is 2x13.1m laps which puts some off but which I love as I get to see family etc about 4-5 times with them only having to move a few feet between spots.
    George: snap - 5 mile lunch jog for me as well
    SQ: like you I'm not keen on running round in the dark with a head torch on at 6am!
    HA: 2 fartleks in one day! Sounds like a good day's training.
  • Joe - Congrats on the new job!
    Jools - 101 races....immense total! Think I did 10, including 6 Parkruns.
    Reg - Great that training is going well for you.
    Some nice running from everyone else. Another early start for 9 miles this morning with the last 2 at MP (6:56/6:52) to get the legs moving a bit quicker.
  • Joe - congrats.

Reg - as Jools points out, good to see you popping up on Strava more regularly.

Jools - fair point on the ultras, 4x100, 1x68, 1x50 and 1x43, throw in a couple of marathons and that’s 600m.

Lots of MLRs being posted, I do chuckle when I see them described as long runs out in the real world.

Well done on the double HA and the MP Steve.

I’ve just checked my UTMB profile and it’s a “positif”😯 Confirmed by email.  I’m not sure what’s more daunting, the race itself or the conversation with the SPO.
  • george_george_ ✭✭✭
    Macca-Congrats on the UTMB acceptance.

I have to say it's something I would love to do one day. I should probably crack on with qualifying and applying before it inevitably becomes the race for elite ultra runners and very very lucky ballot winners only. It certainly feels like it's going that way
  • SQ, I assume you mean Wokingham not Abingdon, I will probably still have a grim look on my face this year but hopefully I will be running faster :)

I notice on Strava that a local top runner actually parks his car in different places and then runs to work depending on how far he wants to go, I guess it's a bit of a pain but maybe an option for some who fancy doing doubles.

Well done on the UTMB Macca, that's on my bucket list too.

Easy run last night and a rest day today so I am off out on the bike, really want to do a run but trying to be sensible.
  • Well done Macca on the UTMB. I can honestly say its not on my bucket list even with bloody great holes in the bottom!

I saw them coming in the finish zone in Chamonix one year, they looked half dead (and they were the better ones) 26.2 miles is too much for me!

Still no running for me! but I bought a garmin forerunner 235!

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Macca: awesome news ahead of C2C this weekend! I was just discussing UTMB/Western States with the wife last night to get her approval (wasn't impressed when I fessed up to entering the WS lottery last year!) I'm planning on  the UTMB lottery later this year which means I'd be guaranteed entry into the race by 2022 at the latest (assuming they don't change the rules).
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    HA - Im also aware of folks that run part of a commute and car or train the rest, but its not ideal, and the logistics can be tricky.

Jools - 10m back in this morning. Was very icy in places

AWC - I'll keep soton in mind for another time then, itd be easy for me as im near pompey.

10m run back in this morning, 5av 8.22, 5 av 6.51. Was guestimating to try to tun 7mm ish in the second part so not too far away. Thats 4 double digit days in a row. 6m easy tomorrow, similar saturday (instead of my saturday long run) and then i have a local 10k sunday, which is effectively just a blow out instead of a session next week, after 6 weeks of 70/80 mpw i have no race day ego.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Impressive double there HA.

UMTB sounds exciting Macca. It sounds like an epic event.

If only the watch could do the running for us FBT!

Nice mileage TR. A local race with no pressure to get a time sounds like fun.

5 mile recovery for me this morning and then an easy ride later on. Quite fun cycling down a trail in the fog!
  • You’ve certainly front loaded your week there TR.
    Good news on UTMB Macca. If I could name just one person with the right credentials for that, it’d be you.
    FBT good watches them. You still being cautious with the PF I take it. Any signs of improvement?
    SQ whilst I could do my drive/run combo I’m trying to avoid so many doubles this campaign and increase my MLR/LR quotient without upping the overall volume as I think around 70 mpw is optimal for me. As the days get longer I’m planning to run in then cycle back & reverse it the following day. I can extend the homeward leg easily enough for a decent MLR that way but also get a decent amount of recovery between runs. 
    Took advantage of the dry weather to cycle commute again today so I just ran 5M at lunch. Marshalled a local night race this evening. Wasn’t sorry to be stood on the sidelines rather than racing - not my thing at all.

• Rammers - you mean the watch wont run for me.....

Jools - yes, a few more days off then will start again next week and run through it , providing its not crippling. have new shoes and new watch so need to get back out there or it s a waste of money!!

• george_george_ ✭✭✭
    Had an amusing email at work yesterday. Basically, there is an corporate half marathon relay, in which 7 people run 3k each. It's a charity event (read extremely competitive)

The person organising it for my company said they were looking for fast runners. I thought I might be able to give it a crack until I saw what they set the minimum standard at: sub 9 minutes for 3k, and ideally nearer 8 minutes. Sub 9 minimum!

Maybe there are 7 Mo Farahs in this company of 800 odd people able to crack out 4:30 miles, but I've yet to meet them. I told them I'd do it in 10:30 and wait to see what they find!
  • dctdct ✭✭✭
    Great news on UTMB Macca. Thoughts and prayers on the SPO front…
  • Macca - Epic news on UTMB!
    Easy 5 mile recovery today.
  • TR - 10x1 mi is another session on the NAZ plan, I didn’t run it last time but I’m planning to ahead of London. Great way to build up a lot of time at a decent clip.

It’s great you’re going well and finding yourself able to move up the mileages Reg. Hope it continues for you.

Don’t blame you wanting to avoid the pavement-less roads Jooligan. I run just a tiny stretch on road during my usual long run route, and I find that hairy enough at times. I remember you mentioning you don’t wear a head torch, so was that all in the dark? I’d worry about falling in - maybe I don’t eat enough carrots! :D

Good luck for the XC Ramjet.

I’m with you on the light SQ, sunrise is finally creeping earlier now though, won’t be long!

Quality double HA.

Nice end to the nine miles Steve.

Congrats on UTMB Macca. Look forward to seeing how you do there.

Good choice FBT, the 235 is a great watch for the price.

Great 10 miler, and consecutive double-digit days TR. Enjoy the 10K.

That’s funny George, according to Powerof10 only 600 men went sub-9 last year, and about 1000 managed the 5000m equivalent (similar numbers for 5K and parkrun surprisingly). Do let us know what happens!

Yesterday’s canal ten was a tired affair, but got it done. Surprisingly, felt better on the afternoon recovery. 15 mile MLR this morning, felt good despite the mileage in my legs, happily while I’ve lost aerobic fitness the legs still remember how to churn out the miles. Pleased enough with 7:08/mi average.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Jools - my commute is 5m minimum but same as you im trying to do more double digit/mlr, so run home one day and back the next tagging on extra miles. Ive done as much as 10 + 10, or even 12 + 12 in the same day before but it's very long day. So im currebtly doing an mlr home and at least 10 back. That will swap over when the session becomes mlr length. But again its a long work day after something like 15m inc a long session.

Spoons - maybe ill bring in the mile reps too, well done on the 15. Its a long way on a weekday but mlrs are worth their weight in gold.

Macca - hope the negotiations go well.

6m easy this morning, very welcome it was too. Booze up and all you can eat chinese buffet tonight, probably good that im not planning a long run in the morning.
  • George maybe it was a cycle race?

spoons, it seems quite an impressive watch (I only paid £100 as new in box on shpock). just need to run to find out.

my commute is 40 miles (used to be 90 miles) each way, so ok for you ultra nutters. I'll take the car!

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    George unless your company is Nike I think you may be struggling! Does the organiser know anything about running?

Very nice MLR spoons.

Friday is run, bike and swim day but all at easy effort. My triathlon club is doing 400m time trials tonight (swim!) so I may accidentally miss that!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Absolute bargain FBT.
    George :D
    You're certainly back to the mega-miles Spoons. Any plan to give parkrun another blast soon?
    I've done 11+11 before TR but as you say it's a very long day & the body doesn't really have time to repair & embed the adaptations IMO. Hope the boozy buffet was fun.
    Decent 11M along the Wye tonight followed by a 2K swim which went surprisingly well too.
    No racing this weekend though I'll be hitting a parkrun as usual. 
    I've got Speedway 10K next Sunday. Still spaces for entries OTD btw SQSpoons or anyone else within striking distance of Chepstow.
  • Macca - great news re; UTMB. Really look forward to following your journey there. If anyone deserves a place it's you.

That's surely headline news, Jools not racing on a weekend! Something dodgy must be going on behind the scenes. 

Ramjet - don't blame you for swerving the 400mm TT!

Jogged around parkrun as a warm up for Surrey League XC later. Not in top condition, will give it a go and see what happens. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Macca - Great news on UTMB. I've run in the alps a few times and really love it. Nothing quite that far mind. I'm sure it'll be awesome and I think you'll do pretty well. 

George - I think someone at your work is having difficulty with maths.

Good luck at XC Joe.

No racing Jools. Does it feel strange? I guess parkrun counts for something.

TR - I've thought about the partial commute but my work is close to the motorway so by the time I get on it's easier to just go early to work and run there. That way I miss any traffic and the can have breakfast sitting at my desk at work. I also have to take at least 30 min lunch break so I try to get out every day at lunch too, to make the best use of time. I'd just like to not have to bother with the car at all. Trains aren't really workable either.

Spoon - Great mileage, good to see you;re back.

20 mile easy run yesterday before work. Wednesday's double was still in my legs so never pushed the pace, felt alright and went out again at lunch for a very easy 5km. Legs a bit sore today but probably only one short easy run over the weekend, should take me up to 70 miles, which is really good for me.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    HA77 - sounds like you've got it well worked out anyway. On the days i dont run to or from work, i run from work early too. You must have some early starts if you are doing 20m too, after a drive. You are maximising your time already.

Jools - glad i wasnt doing a long run today after that blowout coupled with a bit of a cold, i certainly didnt feel energetic this morning.