The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Cal,well done on passing 800.

Ollie,well done on your Snowdonia HM,not the easiest.

Congrats on the 800,MrM2.You'll have to listen your doctor and get yourself better!

Fantastic parkrun result,Hobie.

Dubai,I'm a big Liverpool fan but have to admit it was a poor final,good result though!

30.05 - 5.2

31.05 - 8.1

1.06 - 13.25

YTD - 695.53

• Hello all,

Luxembourg was HOT.
    Race started at 7pm as usual and it did col down as time went on - was trying to do 5:45 (same as London).
    There was some minor changes to the course due to construction works and there were two small sections of running downhill in pitch darkness due to lights being blocked by trees (I fell there in the past - but not this time) - used the little phone lights on runners ahead of me for guidance.
    I think 5:42:52 was OK given we had walked 10+ miles during the day in the heat (sightseeing AGAIN).
    Here is the good news, there is FREE transport at wekends and we took a 20 minute bus ride back to the airport - would have cost 40 Euros by taxi otherwise.
    Will tally up the mileage after recovery run tomorrow.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    JD1...Almost passing 700'! Yes...Need to take this recovery seriously; only a gentle, treadmill warm-up at the gym today, before a little bit of upper-body work and a good stretch session. All followed by a time in the spa. Certainly not adding any miles for a few days yet.
    Harmander...Well done on Luxembourg. Rather you than me; running through the night. As you know, I can fall over in broad daylight! I hear what you say about the 'sightseeing'.
    I often joke that when my wife and I go away for a marathon week-end we spoil each other; the sightseeing spoils my marathon and the marathon spoils her shopping!!
  • MrM2 - lol
    2 x 10.48, plus a marathon makes my 
    YTD = 1178.99 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Harmander - I hate running in hot weather (bear in mind, anything over 15 feels hot to me!) I did too much walking around in Vienna before the marathon and had a sub-optimal race so it's definitely something to avoid.

I had to skip my Sunday run - my achilles has been sore (more than usual) but I got an appointment with my physio yesterday evening and he worked his magic and got it down to a more normal level of grumpy. I did a 4 mile test (plus a couple of strides) and it seems much better, so I might risk racing tomorrow (it's a 5 mile trail on Wimbledon Common - middle one of a series of three).

YTD: 807
  • Afternoon all,

I have been on to keep up to date, but haven't been posting as there was little point.

Harmander, Well done on the recent outings at Richmond and Luxembourg, I have seen a number of pictures from Luxembourg, you seem to like "Green" :D 

Donnie, Good result at Askern, sounds like a lovely run & well done on the new parkrun PB.

Dubai, Nice steady mileage, great work in the heat & humidity.

Cal, Well done on passing the 800 mile mark and what an excellent result for Liverpool, funny enough I have read about 8 race reports, all of them mention the head wind and some even used expletives!, so very well done.

Hobie, Glad you are back to normal following the wobble at the club run, isn't it frightening how quickly things can go wrong, I have had that a couple of times, not nice. Excellent parkrun result by the way.

MrM2, Some nice steady training and a new marathon to train for, great! I hope the muscles soon sort them selves out, I have had much the same thing. Nice work on passing the 800 mile mark already, great effort.

So, as for me, I am back running the first run being just over a week ago, but following another session with the physio, I like MrM2 are now hurting in other places, the leg seems okay (touch wood) but now I have an annoying pain in my buttock, which isn't the wife or kids :D
    Hopefully I will be okay to put a few laps in on Saturday, I have paid a long time ago, so shall put in an appearance.
    Following that I have another marathon late June and an ultra in July 50K with 6000ft elevation, Hobie would like this one, not sure is was a good idea signing up though, however it does have a generous time limit of 9 and half hours, and is run from 11pm to 08.30 so in the dark!

Anyway, well done everyone, it would seem a big party will be happening in Yorkshire later in the year, unfortunately just a bit far away for me.

24.05.19 - 2
    29.05.19 - 4.12
    31.05.19 - 6
    03.06.19 - 8.25
    04.06.19 - 8

YTD = 490.37 
  • Another Parkrun on Saturday (they really are addictive!) and 6.56 miles on Sunday

YTD = 207.56
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Feeling incredibly tired, thought I'd do 5k on the gym treadmill last night, bailed out at 4. Decided on 48 hours of nothing, well sitting around at work, but nothing beyond that. 

Ytd: 469.5
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    David - I spoke to someone else who did it and she said the pacer she was running with reckoned it was the worst headwind they'd experienced along that stretch. I did the Big Half in March when it was exceptionally windy and this was worse - the Big Half had gusts that were stronger, but they were intermittent whereas this was relentless. Not let up at all for three miles.
    For the record, I think I'd have missed the PB anyway - I was about 40 seconds behind my Chester pace at the 20 mile mark, but by the time I got to 25 miles I was nearly 4 minutes adrift. Without the wind I think I'd have finished around 4:12. Anyway, never mind, it was still an 8 minute course best. And I enjoyed the race this year (until I got to the wind, at least!)

Donnie, we all need lazy days sometimes.

Ollie - very addictive. If you ever get the touring bug, that's even worse. I really look forward to my Saturday parkrun adventures - I think I may do Orpington this weekend which is one that I've been putting off because it's a bit of an arse to get to for me.

Just 3 miles this morning to work out a bit of stiffness, as I'm intending to do the 5 mile trail race this evening. Not sure how my legs will like that so I don't think it'll be as fast as the one I did last month. Guess we'll see.

YTD: 810
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    And trail race completed. A minute slower than last time - not surprised. It felt tough, but I got through it.

YTD: 815
  • Haven't done as many miles as hoped this week. Wife's gone home to see family, kids are off school for the Eid Al Fitr holiday, I'm working and its 46 degrees at midday. Working 1500-2300 today but pulled myself out of bed at 0700 to run. Found a stretch in shade and ran along that for 6.1 miles. Shaded stretch was about 2/3 of a mile. 

3.6 3.55
    4.6 3.59
    5.6 no run
    6.6 6.1

YTD 891.25 miles

• Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

Fantastic figures everyone, David, that 6000ft ultra does sound...umm challenging...where is it?

Me a bit of a quiet couple of days but a nice club 7 miles last night, trying to keep it easy & not hurt myself before Man V Horse on Saturday...it's in it's 40th year and some very special runners are rumoured to be there (obviously I'll only see them at the start and maybe in the bar at the finish.

602 miles YTD

• Hobie,

Best of luck on Saturday, I believe a Mr Adam Holland is attending Man V Horse, you can't miss him, very tall and always has a big smile, plus he is fast!

The ultra is a Centurion Running event at Wendover Woods in Tring, I am doing the 50K (3 loops, each of 10 miles + a small loop to make 50K), but there is also a 100 miler taking place earlier in the day, which will still be going when we start at 11.00pm (10 loops, each of 10 miles) that has 20000ft of elevation, I am told only a few people will complete in the 30 hour cut off due to the elevation.
    Have I said I maybe regretting this now?

Thanks David,

I'll look out for a tall, smiley...fast bloke...I'm short, (generally) smiley and not especially fast.

Wendover woods looks great, Google images makes it look like it's always sunny and dry, so 50k around that'll be a doddle.

• Hobie,

Umm, time will tell, however saying that it does have a healthy 9.30 hour time limit, so should get round :D
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    3 miles - sore foot from slipping on my steps because idiot neighbour rang my door at 2.45am and woke me up. Not happy.

YTD: 818
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Orpington parkrun today, which felt tough due to fatigue and sore bits and pieces (not to mention a strong wind) and then a one mile jog back to the station.

YTD: 822
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My first proper trail race today (as in, through the country, farmland, stiles, brambles, nettles and very uneven ground). Not too hilly but it was very challenging and I even fell over, which, embarrasingly, was on a nice tarmac road because I'd stopped concentrating for a minute. Dinged myself up pretty well so I've a few grazes, bumps and bruises.
    It was advertised as a half but was a bit longer, in fact - 13.66 miles by my Garmin, and with all the stopping for stile climbing (there were so, so many), a few walking bits through tricky terrain and up a couple of hills when my achilles was screaming at me, I finished in just over 2 and a half hours. But, sore bits aside, I did enjoy it. I may well take a few days off now as I think my body needs it.

YTD: 835
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Been out or on the treadmill most days. Parkrun yesterday, respectable. 

Cal: trail run sounds great but not for me. 

David C: you mentioned the last man standing event a while ago. I think it was this weekend. Did you get involved? 

Ytd: 486.6
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie...well done on passing 600'. Tell us about the Man v Horse, and 'special runners'.
    Cal...you seem to have a collection of 'niggles'; hope they get sorted out. Your trail run sounds like a challenge! Can imagine you'll want some recovery time now.
    David C...Thanks. I've only once gone over mara. distance, and that was a 50km in Holland, so very flat. Didn't really train for it; just planned to do an easy (4hr) marathon and then hang on for the final 8k. That was back in 2002. The 'strategy' worked and I finished in 4:56, achieving my goal of sub-5hr. There was a 10k section on sand, but it was quite firm and flat. Not sure if it's still in existence (Rondje Voorne 50km).

Having rested for eight days I wanted to check out the muscle situation, so went out for an 8' seafront run; out steady then increased pace on rtn. All worked well; legs very happy. But same muscles were complaining...possibly more than before. So I think it is time to see another doctor.
    YTD:824'.
  • Cal, that run sounds fantastic. The sort of run I miss.

Donnie I don't know how people run on the treadmill, I'll try everything to avoid it.

MrM2 glad the legs felt good, but hope you get sorted soon. 

8.6 4.31
    9.6 3.19
    10.6 7.05

YTD 909

• Morning,

Cal, That sounded like a lovely run, hope you aren't to battered after the fall. I did the "Weald Challenge" in Sussex 2 years ago, so many stiles, but an enjoyable half + some!

MrM2, Hopefully things will settle down shortly, but I would definitely get a second opinion or it could go on for weeks, isn't it so annoying!

Donnie,

So to "last one standing" well I did decide I would go along and just see what happened. I left home Saturday around 07.30 to drive to Norfolk, a two and a half hour trip, and arrived in the poring rain about 10.15. Once registered I had a chat with a few people I know, and one couple even got engaged before the start!
    The event takes place in a very large country park, and as the race director said, the premise is simple, run a lap every hour until only one remains. With 3 minutes to the hour a whistle is blown, then again at 2 minutes and yes you guessed it, again a one minute, everyone must have left the starting area within 60 seconds.
    Lap No 1, was an easy walk/jog enjoying the lovely route in the rain, we ran behind a field, along a very pretty river for about a mile, then into the woods for the next mile, then down a path in between two very large fields, before circling back to the finish, a total of 4.1 miles per lap.
    By lap 3 however now in the dry, I started to feel like I had some blisters coming, very unusual as I was in my Inov8's, which I have run marathons in more than once with no problems both in the dry and wet, I changed into my Asics on lap 4, but the damage was done.
    I did laps 5,6,7 and got timed out on lap 8, as I mostly walked. I can only assume that because the laps are quite slow and there is quite a lot of walking involved, the back of the foot rubbed, where as when you are running the foot is naturally pushed forward, who knows? but I do know I have lovely ripped blisters, which are pretty sore.

The event was great, I love the concept and will be back next year to have another go, the winner did 32 or 33 laps, with 15 doing 25 for 100 miles. It was however thought that it would go on into today, as last year the winner did 38 hours and in Ireland earlier this year they got to 41, anyway the winner got a golden ticket entry into the main event in the USA, but you do have to pay for your own flights.

I forgot to say except for the blisters, the leg held out fine :D 

08.06.19 - 32.8

YTD = 523.17

• David Charman - Wow, sounds as daunting as a marriage - hope I get to 41 years of it (done 40 in May this year). 
    Excellent running by everyone - and congratulations to those passing the century marks.
    Did the usual  two 10.48 milers mid week plus the 10.19 mile parkrun sandwich on Saturday followed by the Hare & Tortoise Cartoon Capers Marathon yesterday on the sea front at Clacton - the winning time for the marathon was 3:40 and I barely made the 7 hour cut off in 6:57:25 - it was baking hot with no shade and the running on sand even though it was in short stretches was energy sapping - my 4.4 mile lap times in minutes were 55, 66, 79, 77, 65 and 75.
    On a good day with cooler weather I will struggle to beat 5 hours methinks.
    Anyways, my 
    YTD = 1236.36 miles
    Darford Midnight Marathon on Saturday here I come.

Race report time from 40th running of Man v Horse...Storm Miguel moistened things up a little, didn't dampen anyones spirits (see what I did there?) Traditional horse procession around town just before we were set off and the horses start 15 mins later. A bit of road to begin with then we're into the first of many hills, streams (rivers), mud (bogs), fields, rocks, trails...stunning views & what turned out to be perfect weather. Some big names were lined up to have a crack at... beating the horses...The American, as Mike Wardian was just known as could only manage 3rd runner & 3 horses beat the first man home (Jack Wood from Ilkley). I can highly recommended the post race party in the pub...blimey. I was a wee bit slower than last year (excuses include longer course and iffy conditions) at 4:13. so 22ish miles and 4000is ft of climbing

Well done on your first trail run Cal....never trust a trail run distance...always ish.

Great work on the Last One Standing...sounds epic.

Awesome miles everyone else...good luck in Dartford Harmander

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/wales/48580201?fbclid=IwAR3pOi5Tg8pGU0jsDJqyi4fPzNTLKikCl6UeBI_wtr5P5WiY8Ry1ClQYQNk

• Hobie,

Brilliant run, still got to be happy with that, 4.13 with 4000ft of climb - epic!

Just for your information, I read Adam Hollands report, much the same as yours, he finished 7th in a time of 2.41.57 - he still got beat by 3 horses!
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 900,Dubai.

MrM2,sorry to hear your injury hasn't cleared up yet.

David,well done on your last man standing race,good news about your leg as well.

Fantastic race,Hobie,that's good going over tough terrain.

Good luck with Dartford,Harmander.

Very quiet running wise for me.Hurt my back during circuit training last Monday.Went for a run yesterday and today,so it's definitely getting better.

9.06 - 5.2
    10.06 - 8.1
    YTD - 708.83

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    All gone a bit quiet on here...and I don't have any miles to add! But wanted to thank DavidC and Hobie for their reports; I'm not the least bit tempted! Hope the blisters heal soon David.
    JD1...hope the back returns to full strength soon.
    Harmander...'Cartoon Capers' sounds about right...going round in circles for 7hours, and playing in the sand! Interesting range of lap splits! And the Dartford Midnight next...Is that so you can fit in another one in the morning?!
    Thanks to all for kind words about my muscle issues; they've not gone away. In fact my 8' run on Saturday confirmed that I should see a Dr. again. Got an appointment on Mon. afternoon with a Doc. on his first day at the surgery. He also thinks that it is 'only' muscles, and wants 'no running for two weeks'. Oh well, 'active recovery' didn't work this time!
    The same day I had an e-mail asking me to confirm my place in the English Masters Team at the Yorkshire Marathon. Hadn't even realised that I had qualified. So, if I can get myself in shape for October I'll be privileged to wear an England vest. Who would have thought?
    I think it is a bit like 'last old boy standing'. The Run UK rankings would seem to back this up; just have a look at the number of M70 marathon runners listed, and then the M75s. There are only 9 on the list so far for 2019 and I'm in at fourth place. Sure it will change after the autumn marathons. Look after yourselves; it's no fun being a 'spectator'.
    YTD:824'
  • Well done on the 900 Dubai Runner.
    Same for the 700 JD1
    You are just on track Donnie2 - no slacking now.
    Hobie1495, excellent 600
    David Charman and MrM2 et al, thanks for the good wishes re Dartford.
    Yes the splits were not my normal steady pattern - set off at 11 minute miles according to my innate GPS/Metronome for the first lap and felt dehydrated at the end, decided to jog/walk for the second, felt worse and did more walking than jogging for the third, had a go at speeding up for the fourth but the heat and sand did not help but for the fourth the wind picked up and so did I to ensure I did not go over the 7 hours with too much to do for the last lap - was actually pleased to give myself enough time to dawdle the last - normally I would be within seconds of even splits.  As I kept on reminding the lovely people enjoying tea etc in the beach huts, at least I was ahead of the Kenyans.
    With the winning time of 3:40, I aim to be only 3 hours behind the winner next year - Pete/Bev & the rest of the organising crew of Hare & Tortoise were brilliant as always and I will be joining them at 'it's Rayne'ing Medals next month (7 July)
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai: you asked about running on a treadmill which I do probably 3 or 4 times a week. Not hugely by choice. Mrs donnie and I car share occasionally for work and are members of the same gym. The only way excerise fits into this pattern is gym on the way home. Mrs donnie only ever goes swimming, I've just enough time for a quick blast on the treadmill. 

Dave: love last man standing. I'd potentially be the first one falling but it does appeal. 

Hobie: love the idea of man v horse, love to read about it but it's not for me. 

Heading to the half way point of the year, happy with my mileage. I've several events in the next six months including the Yorkshire marathon so assuming I stay fit should exceed the 1000 mile target. Ytd: 494.2
  • Donnie,

Would be nice to have you at next years last one standing?