The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    6 miles done this morning, despite poor sleep due to it being over 30 degrees in my flat. Starting to cool down a bit now, thank goodness.
    MrM2 - I do yoga and pilates a few times a week.

YTD: 959
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Hi all, not going to catch up on everyone’s posts but just want to say I hope you are all doing better than me!

A bad knee, followed by a bad back have meant only 9 miles run in June and only 11.5 so far in July 😟

Physio work on the back is helping a bit, so I’m hopeful of s slow return to running in the next few days.

370.5 YTD 
  • Welcome back Andrew, hopefully you'll be back at it shortly.

No run today for me, a late night with friends from Dubai meant a lethargic day by the pool. Some champagne now and I'm ready for an early run tomorrow in Phuket before flying to Bangkok for a night out. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    MrM2,sorry to hear about your wife.Good news that your getting out,just take it very easy which I'm sure you will.

Dubai,Paradise beach sounds great!I'm sure you looked impressive!

Welcome back Andrew,fingers crossed you can find some some running consistency soon.

25.07- 8.1
    26.07 - 21.07
    YTD - 962.58 miles

• Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Andrew, hopefully on the mend.
    Holiday running for me on the Scottish Riviera (Dumfries & Galloway) coast paths and a 14 mile chunk of the Southern Upland Way...weather has been stunning, about 25 degrees so not as hideously hot as further South, and a nice breeze.
    795 miles YTD.
  • Hobie, when the weather is nice that is a beautiful part of the world.

A run a long the front of Patong at 0630, was offered massage and a lady on a scooter came up along side and offered to the love me for a long time. A bit different to my normal running.

5.01 miles

YTD 1112.66 miles

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Limited opportunities this week, but did 8.3 yesterday as part of my Yorkshire marathon prep. 

Dubai: glad you're continuing with the international travel. I'm slightly envious. 

Mr MM and andrew: hope you both overcome come your injury hell. It's the only downside to running. 

Ytd: 618.4
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Andrew; hope you'll soon be back to regular running.
    Thanks JD1; you'll soon be notching up your 1000'!
    Hobie...just about to pass the 800' mark; congrats!
    Donnie2...Thanks. Glad that you are already thinking about the approach to Yorkshire; hope that your training goes well.

After feeling somewhat despondent in the early part of the week I found myself almost positive just a couple of days later. Went ahead and ordered my England vest, for Yorkshire, and managed a 3' walk/jog yesterday. (Including a full mile of run.) Even felt good enough this morning to join my daughter at her nearest parkrun. After a brief walk, at the back, managed to run the whole way. Never thought that a 31min. parkrun would seem so significant. Going to take two days off, then plan how to arrive in best shape for a marathon that will be less than 12 weeks away.   YTD:834'.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    12 weeks? Cripes. Better start upping my distances! Hopefully your previous marathon experience will see you through, MrM2.

Lee Valley 10 miler today. Nice location and the two laps weren't onerous as it was very pleasant. I did slow down a bit on the second lap but averaged 8:45 pace to give me a small PB of 49 seconds and 1:28:09. I didn't push myself too hard out of my comfort zone so I'd consider this a win (even if I have completed 10 miles faster during my best half marathons) given the problems I've been dealing with.
    A fairly low key race - just a medal and a banana at the finish, but I enjoyed it. Feeling rather tired now though!

YTD: 969
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    And 7 miles recovery this morning. Lovely out there - cool and bright.

YTD: 976
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.

Achieved 7 miles last week across two runs.

377.5 YTD 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Well done Andrew; a couple of runs/wk is more than I could manage for six weeks. Then found myself on the mend last week, and did 11' (4 runs...with some 'walk-jog' sections)
    Cal..well done on your Lee Valley 10'! and a 7' recovery run?! Reminds me of Harmander with his 'recovery' runs almost as long as his events! By the way...he has gone quiet???

After Saturday's parkrun I didn't plan to run until Tuesday...then I saw tomorrow's forecast! (Winds up to 50mph with thunder storms!) So I went down to the seafront this evening and ran an easy 4'; longest run (and first on tarmac) for 7wks..
    Overlooked a 3' walk/jog last week. Plus today's 4' brings me to YTD:841'
    Hope to consolidate the 4 or 5' later this week, and perhaps see my h.r. start to come down. Still doing an hour of stretching each day, plus some ice rubs. Getting there.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You're right, MrM2 - Harmander's not been on for two weeks. Has his wife imposed a ban? (Seriously, hope everything is OK).

Rather irritatingly, my shingles patch has woken up and started itching again. I don't feel unwell but it's driving me nuts. I don't think lying on it in yoga yesterday helped much.
    I still got out for a 6 mile progression run (easy through to what will hopefully be next year's marathon pace), which I enjoyed.

YTD: 982 (should have 1000 by end of week, if not earlier, barring problems).
  • Nearly there Cal!

MrM2 seems to be coming together!

Home in Dubai and first run back this morning, not as interesting as Thailand running, used a stretch of road in the shade, backwards and forwards to stay out of the sun. 

And it's my 21st wedding anniversary today, lagging behind Harmander there as well.

30.7 4.43 miles

YTD 1117.09 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Dubai!
  • Wow,
    I am no Little Nell who seems to be able to personalise her contributions so well.
    Trying to catch up with everything on this forum since my last appearance about two weeks ago.
    Congratulations to Dubai Runner and others for their performances and endurance (including the marriages lol).
    Sorry to hear of the other injury and personal matters that come up in life to those.
    Keep it up and you are nearly there to those approaching milestones.

As for me:
    Since my last posting I have run
    7 x 13.73 milers
    1 x 13.3 parkrun sandwich
    and last Saturday (on my 60th birthday) I jogged and walked around as comfortably as I could to complete the Twilight (50km) Ultra. Much to my genuine surprise, I came first in my (new) age category - I will take the applause even though I know there was just one other runner in the same age bracket and I beat his time by about 28 minutes.
    I received a fantastic birthday card from the Mayor of London in the form of 60+ Oyster card allowing me free travel on TfL routes. Although very grateful, I think it is better than the other presents I received from the family - including an expensive looking Hugo Boss watch. I could never figure this out - as soon as one is old enough to tell the time, we grow up and go through our school and working life being governed by the watch/clock - why oh why give someone a bloody watch when they no longer give a monkeys about the time of day? I said I will wear it when dressing up but will stick with my £5.99 Argos stopwatch come wristwatch for daily wear.
    YTD = 1642.94 miles
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dubai...welcome home, and congrats on your 21st!
    Harmander...almost ready to send a search party.....Have you been playing on the public transport??with your new Oyster card...Belated Happy Birthday and congrats on your 50k Twilight achievement.
  • Thanks for the congrats, a Harmander gift for her and my kids, I'm sending them home tomorrow morning for 10 days!!! So they have 10 days in Co Antrim to see family and I have 10 days of peace and quiet!!!

Happy birthday Harmander, I'm sure age won't slow you down.

6.15 this morning, reality - it was 37 degrees at 0630.

YTD 1123.24 miles

• Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Harmander, Happy Anniversary Dubai, and just well done to everyone else on good mileages.

Back from Scottish Riviera holiday...was stunning weather & I even managed a Strava Crown on one section of the 14 mile section of Southern Upland way....see how long that lasts.

8 miles so far this week & running club handicap race tonight (going to hurt)

803 miles YTD

• Happy 60th, Harmander! And very well done. You'll have a new age cat for parkrun, too. I don't wear my regular watch either - if I'm going to wear one I wear my Garmin so it can count my steps.
    Good luck, Hobie.

My shingles has indeed become a proper shingles outbreak - very annoying. I took yesterday off but I couldn't stand missing out on a lovely morning run with it being sunny and fresh so I went out and did 9 miles this morning. I felt better out there than I did sat on my arse at home.

YTD: 991
  • Sorry to hear about Shingles outbreak Cal, horrible thing but good that it didn't keep you in for long, near the 1000 now.

Managed an 18min 24sec (nearly)5k at Handicap last night struggled a bit but glad I did it.

Next race for me is Race The Train on the 17th...15 miles against a steam train.

809 miles YTD

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Well done on your Scottish exploits Hobie. Then a 5k handicap! Hope you catch the train.
    Cal...sorry that your health issues are not clearing up. But your running seems to be going really well, and closing in on the 1000'.

Took advantage of the morning sunshine and went out for an easy, seafront 5'; longest for almost 8 weeks. Still finding out what I can and cannot do; need to rest, then consolidate before extending any further. Seeing physio again, tomorrow. With a one mile warm-up on grass yesterday (before stretching) and today's 5'..YTD:847'.
  • It's an annoyance for sure but I feel a bit better and the rash has stopped itching (though it doesn't like to be touched). Glad you had a nice run, MrM2.
    Race the Train sounds fun, Hobie!
    5 miles today. Felt good.

YTD: 996
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Ytd: 618.4 + 3.1 + 4 + 2 + 3.1+ 10.3 = 640.9

Prep for my October marathon moved up a notch with 10.3 in 86 minutes tonight. Route was pancake flat, still, warm but not hot, only downside was course included a few laps of a man made lake with several tight 90° bends.

Great to have Mr MM out running again, equally good to see Harmander posting after his short break and Cal carrying on regardless of needing on ocean of calimine lotion. 
  • Thank you Donnie2 et al,
    Will add yesterday's mileage after the parkrun sandwich tomorrow but 
    wanted everyone's views on a dilemma I am facing as a pacer in the Toronto Waterfront Marathon in late October.
    I have been asked to stick closer to the 10:1 run/walk pattern throughout the race with a finish time of 5:10.  This is the same time I was asked to pace at last year and finished in 5:09:13 but I had run at 7:00/km for 2km stretches and slowed down for a minute before repeating with additional walkthroughs at feeding stations. (The year before I was pacing for 4:55 and did 4:54:40 but it was continuous running).
    I asked if my last years approach was acceptable but apparently it is not - As a true dedicated 'professional', I will be practicing the 10:1 in the potential five marathons I have between now and 20 October but it feels strange to actually plan a walk for a minute after only 10 minutes of running. however this is what Running Room (Canadian franchise) has been promoting as the most effective way of running for beginners and even improvers  (not sure my Kenyan Elite friends have ever employed these techniques though). I am told that I need to run at 10 minute/mile or 7:07/km for 10 minutes and then walk at 50m/minute or 17 minute/mile pace to achieve the target. I have been labeled a 'metronome' by many so will find the sudden changes in pace interesting and a learning experience.
    Any thoughts from forum members would be welcomed.
  • Harmander - for me it comes down to this, is this a job you're being paid to do? If so accept the change of terms and do it. If not and it's not to your liking or ethos of running, don't.

Cal, nearly there. Hope the shingles has cleared up.

1.8 5.13
    2.8 4.52

YTD 1132.89 miles

• Thanks Dubai, it's getting there. I've been putting a dressing on it when I run so it doesn't rub against my shorts.

Donnie, I've actually been slapping surgical spirit on it in the hope that it'll harden up quicker! Well done on your run. I'm hoping to bang out a 16 for tomorrow but I've not run more than 13 for a while.

Harmander, can't really advise - I always try to run my marathons. All I can suggest is you practise it.

Mole Valley parkrun today, around lovely Denbies Vineyard near Dorking. A brute of a course, all grass or dusty trail with a lot of climbing. It's net uphill with all the climbing in the first two miles, but the last mile is gloriously downhill so I managed a fast finish. Time: 27:07 which feels about right for that kind of course. I enjoyed it, despite the huffing and puffing.

YTD: 999 (so close!)
  • Cal, did you not fancy another mile to get to the thousand?
  • It'll happen tomorrow, Dubai - no rush!
  • 16 miles done!

YTD: 1015 Booyah!