The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    You seemed to enjoy the Thames Meander,Harmander.When you're chatting away, time and the miles fly by.

12.08 - 22 
    YTD - 1071.85
  • I saw you in the results for the Meander, Harmander. I've done the half there a few times and never had a very good run there - even though it's flat, I've found the surface hard going (two of the four times there was deep, awful mud, but it's not the nicest even when dry). Not sure I'd fancy the marathon.

Rest day for me - bit of a walk and some yoga.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Ytd: 656.4 + 3.1 + 3.1 (parkrun) + 5 = 667.4

Just dropping by to see how we're doing. Well done to everyone. 

I'm adding miles from short regular efforts but really need some longer efforts to help with prep for an October marathon. 
  • You do, Donnie - what's the hold-up, injury/health or motivation?

12 miles on a crisp clear morning for me.

YTD: 1072
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: lack of time. However hopefully 10 miles Thursday pm. Another 5k this morning so total now 670.5
  • 8 miles this morning, with a few hill repeats (not steep, but still upward at tempo)

YTD: 1080
  • I'm new here and there's a lot of threads to get through, so excuse my ignorance to finding to answer to this question.

The Thousand Mile Club, is that 1000 miles within an certain amount of time or do you just join it once you hit it?

Again, excuse me for not knowing the answer to this.

T
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Miles, or Ks its up to you, and from Jan 1st to 31st Dec in any year, but who's going to tell you when to start or stop or even check your mileage - all just for fun and to give peeps a target to aim for.

But a club? nothing in any way official that I know of, or perhaps there is and nobodies told me,  ;)
  • senidM is right about everything  - There is no 'Club' as such although I am accused of getting 'er indoors up the club four times more than thirty years ago.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Tracey: as already said, we start the thread each calender year with most working towards a self set target of usually 1000 miles in that year. I seem to recall it being agreed treadmill miles count equally and when running an event you only record the official distance irrespective of what your device may say.

Personally I've got a lot from joining in. I've now started to record my miles, I've loved hearing tales from others, reading about some excellent events around the world and generally staying motivated. People come and go, but more the merrier. 

On the subject of 'going' hoping we hear from Dave C, little Nell, lilly and Andrew in Scotland some time soon.

Year to date now 674.5
  • JD1 et al,

The time certainly flies by.

Welcome aboard Tracey.

The Missus is going away for four weeks at the end of the month so more running opportunities without having more things to do than PM Johnson on a daily basis.

Got SVN marathon on Sunday (might do another one the following week too) followed by:

GNR (pacing)
    Richmond Runfest Marathon, (hoping to see Little Nell there as she is pacing for me)
    Ealing Half (pacing)

While she is away.

With another SVN and possibly Royal Parks half (pacing) I might get to 2000 before the trip to Toronto.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone; great to see all the activity here!
    Thanks Gipfel...yes 'frustration' is still the name of the game, but hoping for better times soon.
    Dubai..had to laugh about your looking forward to 'winter' runs. It's all relative.
    Cal...you seem to be piling on the miles (only slightly envious). Great that you've consolidated your parkrun best time. Agree with you about the Thames Meander terrain; but did the summer marathon in 2014/15 &17. Just love the area and riverside running (born in Brentford and married in Chiswick.... must have something to do with it)
    Donnie2... 'require longer efforts'.....me too!

A very restrained week for me; sticking to the Physio's advice; keeping to a max. of 5mins run, in an alternate run/walk plan, while the muscles continue repairing (?) Saw him again today for more 'treatment'; could be sore for a day or two before I see the benefits! Ready to start extending my run time but will probably err on the side of caution with some further time on 'walk/run'. Not sure if Harmander's 10:1 would suit yet but something better than the 5:5 that I have been doing. YTD:862'.
  • Good morning all, not a lot of running from me. I've had a busy week and it's too damn hot! 47 at the hottest part of the day but also not dropping more than 10 degrees at night.

4 weeks with the wife away, you lucky man Harmander!!

12.8 3.29
    13.8 3.28
    16.8 5.18

YTD 1177.14 - got Cal and JD1 getting close!

• Welcome, Tracey!
    Enjoy your four weeks of peace, Harmander. Don't forget I'm also at Richmond, doing the half. I enjoy this race - I've done it for the past four years. Not sure I'd fancy the marathon...those paths along the Thames can be rough on the feet. What's the course like? (I'm assuming it's the same until you get the point the half runners turn back towards Ham House).
    MrM2 - hope the recovery goes well. Half the half marathons in London seem to go down that bit of Thames so I'm well acquainted with it now!

8 miles easy this morning.
    YTD: 1088
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Tracey, welcome to the thread! Happy Friday to everyone else!

Am rebuilding my running, slowly but surely - seem to be back to 3 runs a week now. Risked a slower/shorter than usual interval session on Monday, the first one I've done since picking up the calf injury, and all went ok, which was encouraging. Intervals may be hideous, but they're addictive in a weird kind of way. Did a 'progression run' of sorts yesterday - not done many of those before, and failed at the last one I tried (from an HM training plan) because I couldn't hack the prescribed pace for the distance - but yesterday's was shorter and easier, and I really enjoyed it. Was a nice 'different' kind of run!

MrM2, hope the walk/run plan is continuing to work for you - I am impressed with your patience - I'm sure it'll pay off in the end (and is definitely better than being forced to do no running at all).

Good luck to all those racing at the weekend. Hope London will be seeing better weather than we are - much as running in the rain can be fun, it's a bit much oop North at the moment, with yet more flooding going on (glad I live at the top of a hill)...

YTD 685
  • Welcome Tracey...I dated a Tracey Phillips when I was in school in Scotland (happy days...wasn't you by any chance???) Like everyone says, just a happy band of people here logging runs.
    Anyway back to running...club social run on the coast path, great to be joined by a guy from another club here on holiday. 
    853 miles YTD
    Rest today in the rain before Race The Train tomorrow...might be a wee bit muddy.😋😜
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Ytd: 674.5 + 10.4 + 2 = 687.1

If my October marathon is to be a success, need to work hard over the next 7 weeks. 10 miles in 85, then another little bit to get home. Two treadmill miles today.

Hobie: hope you beat the train.

Harmander: enjoy the svn marathon and your peaceful time ahead.

Mr MM: progress at last. Light, tunnel etc?

Cal: On schdule for York? All arrangements in place? 
  • Yeah I believe so, Donnie. Just got to stay on top of my niggles.

7 miles today. I did Cyclopark parkrun so had to run two miles there from Gravesend station, the parkrun, then two miles back again. Interesting parkrun - it's a double out and back and the out is downhill and the back is uphill (it's not steep, but it's enough to make a sizeable difference in speed). Finished in 25:32.

YTD: 1095
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    And 18 miles this morning. That brings me to 53 miles for this week, which is more than I was aiming for but there you go.

YTD: 1113
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, good to see that most of you are reporting good runs, and progress.
    Gipfel...Thanks, agree with you about intervals; looking forward to introducing some shortly. Glad that the calf is behaving.
    Hobie...Did you catch the train?
    Donnie2...Yes...hopefully a light...and not a car coming in the opposite direction. Your '10 in 85' brings back memories! What would your marathon pace/time be, realistically?
    Cal...Sounding like you are still in good form, with that decent parkrun and an 18'.

Another treadmill 5k for me, using a 3min/7min  walk/run pattern, but extended the 3rd run to 9mins, to complete the distance. Starting to feel that a steady run would be easier (without the temptation to up-the-pace of the running to make up for the slower walk...) So started at the back of the local parkrun yesterday and (almost) kept to a 10min/mile pace to finish just inside 31mins. Followed this with an easy mile on the track. So, will try to extend my slow miles, on grass, next week. Still some niggling abdominal discomfort, but nothing that seems to get worse or affects the running. But will need monitoring.
    YTD:869'. 
  • Dubai runnerDubai runner ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hobie, where are you, did the train run you over? How'd it go?

Good mileage week Cal, I'm envious!

MrM2, you're getting there, you patience is admirable!

Just 2 runs for me over the last 3 days

18.8 3.43
    19.8 3.22

YTD 1183.79 miles

(edited as I seem to have lost the ability to count)

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    MrM2,you're definitely making progress,well done.

13.08 - 8.08
    15.08 - 6
    17. 08 - 8.4
    18. 08 - 13 - Dubai, you would have been right at home on this run.They had camel racing in a field next to the canal I was running on.
    20.08 - 20
    YTD - 1127.33 miles
  • JD1, camel racing is huge here, the locals drive beside the track in 4x4s watching. The jockeys used to be small Indian children, now it's an electronic robot jockey. Hey we even have camel beauty pageants if that's your thing!

4.34 miles today. 

YTD 1188.13 miles - you're catching me JD1!
  • Robot jockeys? Now I've heard everything!
    8 miles today.

YTD: 1121
  • Dubai, I live in Wales...I believe sheep beauty pageants might be a thing in some parts around here to.

Sorry, been away for a while...been a bit busy in work and  family stuff...daughter got the grades to go to Uni in Birmingham so busy times ahead.

Another session of sweeping at our club beach 5k...didn't lose any children this time so must be getting better at it.

Anyway, more importantly...Race The Train...great race, but weirdly didn't know anyone there despite it only being 40 miles away from home...lots of North Wales & English clubs there, about 680 entries for the full 14 mile race with lots of other distances being run throughout the day, fantastic atmosphere in Tywyn with big marquee sporting food & bar, lots of entertainment for families.

Race was tougher than I thought, narrow, off camber sheep tracks and hillier than expected...it was also hot, humid & very windy...I probably set off too fast but absolutely loved it...the train beat me but I did manage to stay ahead of it for 9 miles.

871 miles YTD 

• Well done, Hobie - sounds fun, sort of. (I don't think I'd have enjoyed the sheep tracks or the weather!)
    Did 12 miles this morning but my watch managed to lose my run (there was a lot for a fatal error when I explored it). Guess I'll be needing a new one sooner rather than later.

YTD: 1133
  • Hello all,

Since my last posting I have run four usual 13.73 milers and a 5.76 miler (with the missus during her local parkrun) before the SVN day 2 of the Cyclopark 10x10 marathon challenge on Sunday (day after Cal).  Incidentally, 'Er Indoors genuinely beat me to the parkrun finish line in a sprint because I had given her too much of a head start on the last stretch - that will never be allowed to happen again I assure you.

The good news is that the bleeping App (Tabata) worked with the 10:1 setting.  As it would be obvious that simply running and walking splits does not guarantee a set finishing time because that depends on the speed for both the running and walking bits.  I clearly need to work on this more because I took it too easy (not blaming it on the course which in my view is the toughest Traviss could choose from) but I walked the last lap (hope it still counts towards my YTD figure) because I had almost given up the will to live lol.

Anyway, I will try to improve next Sunday when I do my next marathon on the same course notwithstanding that it is expected to be the hottest August Bank Holiday since records began.

YTD = 1810.43

• Oh Harmander, that's not like you! (You'll never hear the end of it, I'll bet). Well done on the marathon.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Well done on the run Hobie, you do find some fun runs, although you would have thought a run along a railway line would be flat! But that's Wales for you I suppose,  ;).

Strangely enough I had the opposite experience to you last weekend, went to Isle of Wight for a half, way out of my normal Essex/Kent area, wandered up to the start only to be greeted by an old clubmate - small world!

Run itself was a bit lumpy, Ryde is not v flat, plus a bit of wind, but at least the rain stopped before the start.

YTD    634
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for kind words, you understanding people.
    Dubai...approaching 1200! Congrats..
    JD1...well over 1100' and going strong with that 20' yesterday.
    Cal...great miles being logged; hope it continues, all the way to York.
    Hobie...well done on your childcare improvements! Glad they trusted you to sweep again. And that 'Race the Train' sounded fun...until you described it. Clearly a popular event.
    Harmander...Very chivalrous of you to allow MrsH to cross the line first!

Gained a bit of confidence from Saturday's runs, so upped to an easy 10k, on grass, on Monday. Out at 6 this morning, to enjoy the seafront, and consolidate the 10k distance, on tarmac. Fairly happy with the results but will know better after a day or two.
    YTD:882'.