The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Ytd: 678.1 + 3.1 + 3.1 + 8.5 = 692.8

A park run, 5k on the gym treadmill and '8 in 68' since last stopping by. Happy.

Hobie: race the train sounds great. Reading about that type of event is one of the reasons I keep coming back to this tread.

Mr MM and Cak: full steam ahead to York, I hope so.

Harmander: full marks to you for community work, do you ever feel like running solely for your best time on that day? 
  • Hobie1495, I thought I was at a sheep beauty pageant when I last visited the out-laws.
    Cal and MrM2 - it will never happen again - trust me.
  • Donnie2 - not for a while now.  The last time I pushed myself to my limit (when my 4:30 pacer was unable to come at the last minute) I did 4:31 without being prepared.

What I do nowadays is train to reach a comfortable peak before VLM and again six months later for Toronto. I relax and just run for fun in the six or seven marathons after each of these two.

Sunday was my 15th marathon this year and I have 7 more to go plus three halves where I am pacing.
  • How many marathons have you done, Harmander? I'm guessing it's a lot!
    9 miles today with my new watch. Nice weather but I can feel it's starting to warm up, compared to earlier in the week. Legs felt good although there's still a little niggle in my groin. Think I need a massage.

YTD: 1142
  • Cal,
    Sunday will be my 159th
    This is nothing compared with several hundred people in the 100 Marathon Club who have done many times this number and much faster times than me. Just google members totals 100 marathon club for amusement.
    I run the marathons to help others which gives me personal pleasure - soe people are just too competitive - I feel it is better to be the best you can be for yourself.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander: I think your approach and attitude is wonderful and agree people are to competitive. My 'however' is that in a paid event I can't help but run for my best possible time. I didn't like leaving anything out there. 

Cal: steady away. Great consistency. 

Ytd: 692.8 + 1 + 10.4 = 704.2
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Hobie,well done with your race the train,looks a very interesting race.How many runners beat the train?

MrM2,nice 10k,fingers crossed you're not sore.

Harmander,honestly don't know how you do all these marathons,I'm getting mental fatigue thinking about my first one! Well done to 'Er indoors on her parkrun victory.

21.08 - 5.1

23.08 - 11.8

YTD - 1144.23

• JD1,
    Every journey starts with the first step - so does each marathon. As for 'Er Indoors, I ran with her again today - beat her by 13 minutes.
  • That's quite the destruction, Harmander - I hope she doesn't hold grudges!

East Grinstead parkrun today - a hilly one and pretty much a cross country course. Wore my trail shoes and glad I did (you'd need spikes in winter!) Happy enough with 27:25 as I thought it'd take me around 28. Might be the hardest one I've done but I'm not sure - Sunny Hill had more hills and took me longer, even though it's all on path. This one would definitely be worse in winter when it turns to mud. I was 5th lady, but the top 5 were all over 50 (1st and 3rd were VW55s!) so no age group win today.
    Anyway, ran a mile warm-up so four miles logged for the day.

YTD: 1146
  • Cal, She is going to see her mum abroad for 4 weeks now, I thought I had better put her in her place to reflect on her audacious move last week while she is away - it also means no hot dinners for me starting today lol.
  • No hot dinners for me either - my flat gets so hot in the summer and putting the oven on only makes it worse! Looking forward to winter so I can have baked potatoes again.
  • She said she lets me off - this time.
    Did 13.73 miles on Thursday and a 8.87 miles after parkrun today making it 11.97 miles.
    YTD = 1836.11 miles
  • Hobie, that sounds like a fantastic race, would love to try it someday.

Plodding along here. Trying to formulate a plan to tackle the Comrades marathon next year as long runs are out at the minute.

21.8 5.32
    22.8 5.08
    24.8 5.05
    25.8 5

YTD 1208.58 miles

• Cal, I love a baked potato. Great simple food - my favorite filling is tuna, jalapeño and olives. 

What does everyone else like in their jacket potatoes? Looking for inspiration!! 
  • I usually put butter and stilton on mine! (This is probably why I weigh less during the summer...)

I was supposed to do 20 miles today but I took a wrong turn at one point and ended up running 22. This good news is that I felt really strong towards the end - my last five miles were a minute per mile faster than the early miles. I've run 55 miles this week and am feeling marathon ready. Best bit of the run was running through a misty park under a bright red sky. It's nice to be out early.

YTD: 1168
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie2...Yes for York (plain sailing would be nice but I think I'm going to be checking myself every day.)
    JD1...Thanks; all sensors tuned to 'soreness' at the moment, and then trying to work out the cause.
    Dubai...congrats. on passing 1200'. Breaking records here at 30c!!
    Cal...sounds like you've got the miles in the bank already! And I'm a touch envious of your 22' today! (I'm hoping to extend my 'long' run to 8' in the next few days.) You only have 8weeks to hold that readiness!..or have you got some other races lined up before York?

Trying to keep myself from doing too much now that my running becomes less uncomfortable; but wanting to make the most of every opportunity. Another 10k today, on a favourite loop that I haven't been able to do for over 3 months! Took it very easy (66mins). Got to the local parkrun in good time yesterday (volunteering) and did a couple of 'brisk' miles on the track, before the run got under way. Just over 600 runners. (Beginning to look more like a dog show!)
    YTD:893'.
  • Yes - I actually have a shorter race on Wednesday (choice of 5 or 10K, not decided yet - won't be fast as it's quite hilly) and two half marathons (one September and one 2 weeks out from the marathon).
    My local parkrun is always over 600 - much too crowded for the width of paths there. That's why I tour. Good that your running is starting to feel better.
  • 3.31 miles at 9.06 pace in 42 degrees.

YTD 1211.89 miles

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Another step on the road to recovery MrM2.

Tuna on my baked potato as well Dubai.Any sign of it cooling down yet so you can get some longer runs in?Well done on passing 1200 as well.

24.08 - 5
    26.08 - 14.05
    YTD - 1163.28 miles

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Ytd: 704.2 + 3.1 + 3.1 = 710.3

Cal and Mr MM: were all taking slightly different routes to York but hopefully we'll all arrive at the distination on time.

Dubai: I must read about Comrades, good luck with what looks like a serious undertaking. Oh, and another vote for tuna mayo. 

• I felt like a jacket potato yesterday.  I walked/jogged really slowly at the SVN marathon for 6 laps, had to take a 20 minute breather to put ice on my head and chest to cool my body temperature down and managed to start the last of the 8 laps with 20 seconds to spare.  It was brutal but I beat the last runner by 9 seconds.
    YTD = 1862.33 miles
  • Great running everyone, sorry been away all weekend racing our boat at the Nationals (actually on the boat...not running along side an inanimate object for once) so no real miles run for me this weekend but back on it now that's out of the way....didn't win it either but 7 races done with dolphins making an appearance and the fleet racing through a flock of Guillemots with a few Gannets diving in was spectacular....anyway back to running now...Club handicap tomorrow night again.
  • I wouldn't have enjoyed running in that, Harmander.
    Hobie, that sounds wonderful!

8 miles this morning, easy pace.

YTD: 1176
  • JD1, to answer your question, it should start cooling at the end of September. I've just done back to back night shifts, it was 44 during the day and a low of 38 overnight.

• Hobie, what kind of boat?
  • We race a Formula 18 Catamaran off a small beach in West Wales...it was stunning.
  • I wouldn't enjoy that at all, Dubai!
    Hobie - sounds speedy!
    A very slow 4 mile recovery run this morning, ahead of tonight's race.

YTD: 1180
  • And another 9. Three mile jog to Brockwell Park, 5K race, three mile jog home again. With my long run on Sunday and all my niggles, I really wasn't expecting a good time (I figured over 26 minutes, since Brockwell is quite hilly) but somehow it all came togther and I got a sub-25 (officially 24:56). I've done a few faster parkruns but all have been on flat courses, so I'm a very happy bunny. It's also my fastest 5K race. 7th lady too.

YTD: 1189
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

A low of 38 makes it much more bearable!

Well done Harmander,in very testing conditions.

27.08 - 5

28.08 - 8.07

YTD - 1176.35 miles

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Ytd: 710.3 + 4 + 8.8 = 723.1

The only record of my mileage is this thread. Googled to find last years edition, my end of August totals will be almost identical.

New pair of trainers last night which gave me a bit of a bounce.