The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• Today's parkrun was Harrow, a three (and a bit) lapper on tarmac paths with a couple of inclines on each lap. A mile warm-up first, then the parkrun, which I did in 25:02 - a decentish time for a non-flat course. 4th lady too.

YTD: 1476
  • Nice time Cal.
    6.5 miles for me today...calf a bit sore since Cardiff but hoping it all holds together for next weekend...bit of foam rolling might help.
    1046 miles YTD 
  • I hear you, my left calf is like a brick at the moment. I've been working it with my shiny new massage gun (a thing like a mini jack hammer).
  • Let me know how that goes Cal, mine feels a bit better tonight. Rolling and yoga tomorrow planned.
  • 10 miles done and dusted - felt alright. A few slight niggles but nothing new and nothing that concerns me.

YTD: 1486
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Still a bit of wind to contend with when I went out this afternoon but it was sunny and dry.
    Eight miles, with a couple at marathon pace. Seemed like very hard work. (A few years ago I would have run an 8' or 10' at marathon pace, one week out!) Weather is looking good for York, but there is time for that to change! Now for an easy week...really easy!
    YTD: 1113'.

• Ditto, MrM2 - what time are you hoping for? I think I am going to say to hell with it, attach myself to the 4 hour pacer and see how far I get.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal...All the best as you go with the 4hr pacer! You seem up for it!
    I'm a long way from that condition, this time. I've been playing with pace but it's hard work and I can't see myself maintaining it for very long. I'm thinking of going out quite cautiously. Hard to put a time down but realistically I'd settle for 10min/mile. Conditions look good, and if I recover well I might do better. Just 2 or 3 light runs this week; no more than 10' total. Have a 'relaxing' week!
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Ytd: 913.5 + 1.5 + 2 + 3.1 + 3.1 + 2 + 3.1 = 928.3

Parkrun on Saturday (wet feet in part) and a gym trip each day, mainly to stretch, as taper for York marathon continues. 

Mr MM and Cal: sounds like you're both heading north in good spirits. Wishing you both a fair wind.

Same as Cal, I've also got my eye on sub 4 at the weekend. It's a bit touch and good. I've a slight cold but if that clears, I'll be honest I'd be disappointed to miss my target. Although my two 20 mile training runs were at 4 hour mara pace and I didn't have that much left, wouldn't have fancied a sub 60 10k which is what the equation would have been. 

My marathon history is 4 previous runs, all at York, with times spanning 3.55 to 4.02 I suspect I'll be in that ball park again assuming nothing goes awfully wrong. The little I do know about marathon running is take nothing for granted.

Cal: I'm unlikely to position myself with the 4 hour pacer. I'll be aware of them, but like to set my own pace, gives me something to think about. Also if I'm going well, the strategy is to achieve a very small negetive split. 
  • You're right there, Donnie - the marathon is an unforgiving mistress. Thing Mo Farah found that out yesterday.
  • 6 miles today - not a bad run but hammy is a bit grumpy. I think it's acting up because I've actually been resting on my rest days instead of going for walks (weather hasn't made that option tempting) or doing yoga. Achilles is the best it's been in ages, though.

YTD: 1492
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal and Donnie...you both seem to have a 'strategy' for York; and you both seem ready for it. All the best.
    Forecast is now showing some light rain; could be cool.
    4 miles today, with two 9 min/miles on the track.
    YTD:1117'.
  • Well, I don't think we can be any more ready than we are now, right?

7 miles today with 3 at 9 min/mi pace. Felt quite hard so not sure how long I can maintain it for, but race pace always feels a lot easier on race day. Whatever, nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

YTD: 1499 <- :#
  • Good luck to all racing this weekend, very much hoping the forecast is good for you...I might get wet feet but can live with that, current Saturday forecast for Mid Wales is overcast with light winds (yay) but it is raining today & tomorrow so might be muddy in the hills.

Couple of C25K sessions and a gentle 7 miles last night at running club.

1061 miles YTD

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Good luck Donnie,Cal and MrM2,hope you all have a good one in York.

Hobie good luck with the ultra/mudfest!

6.10 - 26.2

13.10 - 8.41

14.10 -5.1

16.10 - 5.54

17.10 - 6

YTD - 1412.85

• Thanks JD.
    Might see some of you Yorkshire crew - I'm in Wave 2. Will be dressed as per the profile pic, but I'll likely be wearing my new arm sleeves. (Also a bin bag, at the start!)

Last run this morning - 4 miles. Have had a giant, sore knot in my left glute for the past two days.  There's always something!

YTD: 1503 :sunglasses:
  • Good luck all in Yorkshire, JD1 great that you're back out.

13.10 am 2.31 pm 4.74
    14.10 9.17
    15.10 3.22
    18.10 6.44

YTD 1402.13 miles

• Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Race report from Race to the Sea, bus pick up from Aberystwyth at 5:15...delivered to Llangurig for tea and toast before 6:45 start in the dark (loved that) run up into the hills as the sun rose gave stunning views with the mist lying in the valleys...gorgeous. 32 mile run back to Aberystwyth with 4000 ft of climb & somehow finished in 7th...6hrs 23mins. Loads of mud, loads of rain...a few trips the wrong way, loved it.

1095 YTD
  • Sounds great Hobie, congrats!!
  • Quick post (I'm not at home) - I did it, sub-4! 3:57:08. Really thought I might die horribly at that pace but somehow I kept going.

YTD: 1529
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Well Done Cal, great time and a just reward for all that training - you got it right on the day, a very satisfying feeling I'm sure!

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: Fabulous news. We must have been very close to one another, 3hr 58 mins 15 secs. Very happy. More tomorrow. 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal and Donnie2...Out of sight!!! Huge congrats to both of you.
    I was asked at the start line, what time I was going for. I said that I'd be happy with 4:15 today, and could live with 4:30. Time: 4:19:35, so that makes me about 70% happy. However, running in an England vest and coming first in M75 age gp (out of six!!) gave me the gold medal. There was also an England v Celtic Masters comp. included. I got the M75 winner's medal, but there really wasn't a lot of competition.  
    Enjoy some recovery time!
    A two mile loosener yesterday, plus 26 today brings me to 1145' YTD.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    WELL DONE all 3 of you, great running, and double congratz on the age grp win MrM2 - and you can only beat who turns up on the day, 6 or 60, its still a win!
  • Evening, 

Just popped on to say well done to Cal, Donnie and MrM2, brilliant running, well done guys and girls.

Not forgetting Hobie's ultra either.

I am still going, just so busy at the moment, but promise l will be back.

Right to bed as the alarm has been set for 03.30 for the last few weeks, sigh.
  • Brilliant, Donnie! And congratulations on the prizes MrM2 - you've not had an easy ride here so that's fantastic.
    Hobie, fantastic result for you too!
    I guess we're all very happy campers right now!
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Well done Hobie,Donnie,Cal and MrM2,fantastic results everyone.You can all have an easy week now!MrM2 it must be great running in a England vest and congrats on your age win.

• Great results Cal, Donnie, sub 4 feels great but a first must feel pretty special MrM2, well done sir.

I'll be out to try the legs out at lunch time with my C25K group in work...just the slightest chance I bore them to tears with Ultra talk.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for kind words.
    David C. good to see you on here again. Hope you'll find some running time.
    Hobie...your Race to the Sea sounds like too much fun! 32', hilly, muddy...but what a great result.
    Taking me a while to get ready for a recovery run; usually out and about by now. But I have just driven the 363 miles home from York, via Leominster. (That needs its own recovery.)
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Ytd: 928.3 + 11.7* + 26.2 = 966.2

* all treadmill, spread across 4 gym trips. 

Many thanks for the kind words wishing me well with my marathon. A moment of self indulgence if I may. I was after a sub 4 time, my approach was to run 4 lots of 56.5 minute 10ks which would leave 14 minutes for the final 2.2.

My 10k blocks:

1st 10k 57.22
    2nd 10k 56.12
    3rd 10k 56.12
    4th 10k 56.30

Final 2.2k was 12.07

Total 3 58 15 v happy. 

Question for Cal and Mr MM: Yorkshire is my only marathon, how does it compare to others? Manchester is the other one I my look at, although York again next year will probably be my next marsthon.