Considering my 1st trail ultra-marathon - Talk me into/out of it!

I'm thinking about doing 'Race To The Stones' Day 2 only trail ultra-marathon (50k) in July.

I'm fairly fit. Can get of the sofa and run a 33min 5k with no training. 
I have two horses which I ride/compete, dog to walk, play tennis and go to the gym twice a week (approx 2hrs each gym session)

In the past I've trained up to 10k in order to run Windsor half in 2hr 20min.

Every year we do several long distance walks, some for 3-4 days back to back, between 15-20 miles a day.

The longest I've walked in one day is 35k.

So.......

The plan put to me by my boyfriend is that we 'walk/run' the event aiming to roughly do this...

run 10k, walk 10k, run 10k, walk 10k, run 10k.

depending on the terrain though to minimise effort we will aim to stick to that plan but run the flats and downhills and walk hills.

The route is along the Ridgeway and I live local to it so am familiar with the terrain.

So if you've not nodded off from all that boring set up I now have some questions I need the advice of more experienced bods from.....

1/ The physical complaints I have felt from endurance walking/running are tendonitis in my knees (mainly painful downhill), and ankle strain at the back.
   Can I do any exercises in the gym to help strengthen these areas (I train in the gym with a pro-body builder so she knows her stuff and can help me make sure I am doing any exercises effectively)

Would tape help with these areas?

2/ Because of this walk/run combo approach what footwear would you suggest? I would prefer trail trainers in the summer and for lightness but I am a little worried about the lack of ankle support. Are there any trainers that offer really good ankle support? (I am a neutral/heel striker)

3/Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh what am I agreeing to????? (my boyfriend did Race To The Tower last year and ran it all so he's more aware of the scale of the challenge than me) Am I mad???/

Any other tips, clothing recommendations, training plans etc gratefully received.

I'm not a quitter so even if my leg is falling off I shall finish, but I'd like to try and complete this without getting broken by the challenge.

Thanks
Chloe