I feel like a snail.............Help! I want to be faster..........

I have been running for several years (on and off) and I have a problem: I am slow.............my average speed is about 8k per hour (sorry  cannot get the pace) in a one hour run I do 8 k or maybe 9 if I am very rested and athletic......but that is all..............
I try and try.........but nothing works.........uplifting music, farklet, intervals.............but I cannot get faster than that.
When I try to do a short fast run, lets say 5k or less as fast as I can all I get is pain in my chest!  I get out of breath when I try go "a little faster" and my chest and lungs really hurt.
I even asked my doctor thinking there was something wrong with me and was sent to have a cardiogram which fortunately was clear.  
I don't know what to do,
Any ideas?
This is very frustrating as I want to run a but faster. I can run  for long time as long as I stick to my snail pace
Maybe I am eating the wrong foods?

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Fatima - there's nothing wrong with running 8km per hour, that's fine.   Everyone has their limitations when it comes to pace, that's something that we have to learn to accept.   But if you want to improve it will be down to your training.   You say that you get out of breath trying to run faster, so you should limit any faster running to short intervals until your fitness improves.

How often do you run?   What's your weekly mileage?
  • I have recently started running 3 or 4 times a week,  in a week I can do about 15 or 16 Kilometres (I think that is 10 miles)..............
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Fatima - if you've only just started running then you're being too impatient.   It takes a long time to build up your aerobic system so you will get faster and not get out of breath, just stick with it.   
    Enjoy your running, don't try and run too fast it's the easier running, when you can hold a conversation, that will improve your running.  I would suggest that you read a good book on running for beginners and maybe join a group/running club perhaps.