Stand off with... a badger

I kid you not! I was out running this morning about 6am and noticed a fox and some other animal chasing eachother on the path ahead.

The fox ran into the hedge but the other animal ran towards me. That’s when I realised it was a rather angry badger.

I started to slow down and at about 5 or 6 metres apart we both stopped and looked at eachother. It looked pretty annoyed and after a 3 or 4 second stand off I was about to turn and run (or more likely sprint).

Thankfully it then decided to turn instead and ran off back down the track (they can certainly move).

Phew!

Anyone else encountered strange or dangerous wildlife? 😬

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I definitely wouldn't want to mess with a badger, that's for sure.
    I'm in London so it's usually foxes, and they always run at the sight of me. I guess a large running human is a potential predator as far as they're concerned.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Dive-bombed by a rather irate seagull looking to protect its chick. That wasn't too pleasant and not easy sprinting and covering your head at the same time. Just needed a cameo performance from Alfred Hitchcock.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    A badger was trundling down the pavement on the opposite side of the street once during an early morning run. Didn't even realize urban badgers were a thing till that point (foxes must have a better publicist). 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Where was this, Ynnec?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Seals and dolphins are my favourite sights on my runs :)
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Cal Jones said:
    Where was this, Ynnec?
    Shrewsbury.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    I've been attacked by a buzzard a couple of times.  I now know not to run a certain route along the edge of a wood as of this time of year until late summer.  
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited March 22
    Big_G said:
    Seals and dolphins are my favourite sights on my runs :)
    Do you actually live on the coast or do you snort ketamine before a run?
  • CalletCallet ✭✭
    > @Big_G said:
    > Seals and dolphins are my favourite sights on my runs :)

Can you outrun an agressive dolphin? 😬
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ynnec, I could say "both", but I'd be lying.  I'll leave it you to work out which one is correct :)  

Callet, I could try but it would be pointless as dolphins can't run.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Cows and deer are the only animals I've encountered (other than dogs and cats).  The deer run off pretty quickly, which is a shame because they are beautiful.  The cows stand their ground, so rerouting is the only option - I'm not going to argue with a ton of beef.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I did witness an epic goose fight yesterday between the Egyptian Geese that inhabit Tooting Common's big pond and a newcomer. He actually defeated daddy goose but then mum got stuck in and he was too tired to deal with her as well. She was protecting her goslings so she'd have been super fierce. They are normally pretty chilled around people.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    I'm glad to hear you are OK....sounds scary. 

I've had to outrun horses! Stupidly went through a field with a friend, we walked but the horses decided to chase and boy did we run and as for clearing the fence....epic effort! 
  • CalletCallet ✭✭
    Now a horse does sound rather dangerous!
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    It's when you get gangs of horses hanging around street corners that I get a bit wary. If only they'd take up running as an activity to give them an interest.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    😂 
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    It's nothing to be proud of, but back in the day I spent many an hour watching this in a drug-addled state:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6CDFn2i3Id

I startled a buzzard once (there was a nesting pair in the local park) in the early hours and the sheer bulk of it's wingspan was intimidating.
  • CalletCallet ✭✭
    Blimey Ynnec, that video has made me think that I might now be in danger from a gang of badgers :) Perhaps the badger I saw has told his mates...
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited March 29
    I think you'll be safe enough with a cete of our native badgers, Callet. Honey badgers on the other hand, they're just plain batshit crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg