Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    > @Orbutt said:
    > The forum works in mysterious ways.
    > Consider it a fresh start.
    > How's the training going? Is everything still holding up ok?

I was told 2 weeks ago I need another operation on my back, so I'm on the waiting list
    I am running but nowhere near where i was so my expectations of a finishing time have evaporated and i'm now looking to "just get round" based on getting a medical certificate. anyone know a back street doctor :D
    other than that im doing ok
    hope everyone else's training is going well
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your back. I've got to ask the question - are you sure a marathon is the right thing to do with your back being the way it is?
    If you are really intent on running then finishing is the best goal.
    The medical certificate is very basic, have a look. It requires a doctors signature and practice stamp.
    I wouldn't condone it but in previous years some runners have created their own certificates using computers or buying their own stamp from the internet.

I must say, though. Think of your back.
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    Hi Orbutt, I understand your comments and i have mulled it over, spoken with my doctor (who signed my medical certificate) yesterday, who said i can't make it any worse by running, if i train properly, protect my back with strengthening exercises (i already do pilates) and back off if it hurts I should be ok. I also look at the likes of Rob Burrow and Doddy Wier etc and think life is way to short and you should live everyday as though its your last, i could get run over walking to the start line (it happened right in front of me on the way to the start line of Amsterdam marathon 2 years ago)
    So i am going to continue to train as best as my body allows and take it from there.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    In that case, go for it.
    I didn't want to give you bad advice but your quack knows what he's talking about.
    I know what you mean about living life to the full.
    Keep us appraised as to how your training is going.
    My plan has just started and I feel like a pensioner at the moment. Still  theres plenty of time between now and Paris
  • Final run of the decade done...

Hoping 2020 is kinder than 2019 (which has been filled with injuries, pain and MRIs).

HNY & see you in Paris!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Funny. 2019 want a good running year for me too. Doesn't sound as serious as yours though.
    My final run of the year felt awful but I'm glad I did it. I seem to have come down with a flu that lasted about 12 hours.

I've never been fast but my pace has slowed a lot this year. 2020 will bring the pace again 😊
    Have a great New Year and here's to 2020
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I must have bucked the trend. 2019 was my highest mileage year. I didn’t miss a single training run. No illness, no injuries.

Hope everyone has a healthy 2020!
  • Does anyone know what’s going on with the official app? In previous years it’s been released in the Autumn (https://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/en/training/connect-to-the-app) and has had all sorts of training incentives (badges, competitions, etc) as well as the usual information/ participant tracking. I’ve always found it to be quite a nice part of the training experience.

No news on the site, nothing in the App Store...
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Dom. I'd forgotten about the app.
    When I submitted my medical certificate and it was still showing as pending, I emailed the organisers and was told that they would start looking at them in January.
    Maybe they won't be getting fully into gear until this month?
    I always find they respond well to emails, might be worth dropping them a line?
  • Never knew there was an app, sounds like a great idea. I snooped around Garmin groups and Strava but didn't see many Paris runners there so I think a dedicarted app is a nice idea for motivation.

My 2019 mileagae was my highest ever at 961 miles, so hoping with marathon training I might make it to 1,000 in 2020, so some group motivation will be great. Although the year has started badly with a calf injury so no miles so far which is driving me crazy... I might try a few gently miles tomorrow but I have run on injuries before and made them worse so I'm cautious. Seems my training plan is for the bin already :/
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Careful with your calf. I missed the 2015 Paris Marathon with a calf injury that started in November. My mistake was to run on it when it didn't feel 'too bad'.
    I've learned the hard way but I'm much better at managing injuries now, although I do sometimes go against my own advice.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Orbutt. Be careful with that calf injury. It’ll be better to hit the start line healthy but a bit undertrained than carrying an injury.

I made that mistake with a calf injury in Berlin back in 2011. I made it to the end, but I really suffered that day. I came very close to calling it a day on marathon running after that one. 
  • Thanks Orbutt, Eggyh73. A gently plod told me in just a couple of minutes that I need to take a couple of weeks off running so it's the elliptical machine/gym for me for a few weeks :( Then I plan to try out compression sleeves for the first time to see if that helps...
    The annoying thing is I only did the injury on a gentle 7 mile run... just goes to show you need to be careful!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Wheatism I feel your pain. I once sprained a calf walking down the street.
    I've used calf guards quite a bit and they're really good when your just starting to run again as they give you a bit more confidence.
    Sounds like you're taking the sensible approach.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Let the injury heal and ease yourself back into things. 

I used calf guards after returning from the calf injury I had. I’m not sure if they actually helped, or just mentally made me feel a bit more comfortable to push harder in my training.

Fingers crossed you’re back out running soon.
  • I'm a maybe for 2020. Wanting to run various races, having ran Paris on numerous occasions, yet the plausibility of meeting up colleagues old and new is alluring.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Garyhansonuk. Welcome (back?).
    In the words of Mrs Doyle "Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on!".
    There will be lots of people there for you to meet - our virtual club has over 30 running this year -and depending upon which years you have run it before, the possibility of reacquainting yourself with some.
    What years have you run it previously?
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know of any discount codes for the eurostar and when the best time is to book the cheapest tickets?
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    You're better off booking now rather than waiting - cheapest tickets for the Eurostar are when they're released in my experience. There's a sale on at the moment, but they only have sale prices on journeys that aren't already busy, so if there aren't any for that weekend it means the trains are filling up! The sale starts at £29 each way, I think the normal price is £39 each way and then it goes up from there.
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    > @Nells said:
    > You're better off booking now rather than waiting - cheapest tickets for the Eurostar are when they're released in my experience. There's a sale on at the moment, but they only have sale prices on journeys that aren't already busy, so if there aren't any for that weekend it means the trains are filling up! The sale starts at £29 each way, I think the normal price is £39 each way and then it goes up from there.

Cheers Nells, I have been looking this morning and am getting quoted around 75 each way out of london
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    I booked back in October as soon as they went on sale, and even then they were a little bit over the minimum, so I think it will be hard finding a bargain for it now.
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    Advice please
    I uploaded my medical certificate a few weeks back and its still sat as pending in the timeout dashboard, is this normal?
    cheers
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I uploaded mine in July and it's still showing pending.
    I emailed the organisers a while ago and they said they would be looking at certificates during January, so no need to panic - yet  :D
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
  • I see the new Paris Marathon 2020 official app is available now:
    https://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/en/training/connect-to-the-app
    Enjoy :-)
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I saw that.

Although the email saying ‘your preparation starts now’ made me chuckle. I bloody well started training at the start of December!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    79 days to go 😳
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Hi again everyone

Hope training is going well - eggy, I thought the same thing, they seem to have a lot of 10-12 week plan, so maybe assume people already have a base fitness.

I quite like the challenges in the app to try and win things though, would be good if other marathons did similar in their apps

I've ended up not running much over the last month or two, so thinking I might not stress myself over finishing time, and just enjoy the race. I'll see how training goes over the next few weeks and think about it closer to the time .

Need to get my medical certificate sorted too. 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Chamolk that sounds really sensible. Nothing worse than trying play catch up when training hasn’t gone to plan.
    I’ve done that myself, before, and ended up with injuries.
    I’m still rebuilding my fitness but I did 19k yesterday so it’s getting there. Mind you, I felt awful in the last few k.  :disappointed:
    I’m just hoping we don’t get much snow or ice this year, which would make training tricky.
  • @chamolk I'm in the same boat and agree with Orbutt. Due to a calf strain my training plan went into the bin and now I am just concentrating on having a good time and getting round.

I've even resorted to the treadmill as part of rehabilitation and yesterday did my first "real" outdoor run (10.4 miles) but speed work, hills and any pace over 8.00/mile are out. In a way it's liberating and I am having to force myself to go slow. Coming from repeat half marathons of under 1'28" it feels like I'm plodding but I am appreciating the fun of running and not "racing".

@Orbutt 19k sounds like you're well on your way to rebuilding fitness. I think the concept of "muscle memory" is true... once fit, it's quick to come back... good lucjk with that :-)