Options

Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    Speaking of the weather, what's the weather normally like for the marathon? Never been to Paris at that time of year
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    chamolk. In the 4 times I’ve done it, it has a tendency to be warm/hot. 
    The mornings are chilly until the sun comes up but it can get seriously warm.
    I think last year (or the year before) was f-hot.
    Of course, being April, it could be cold or rainy but as I’m running it’s bound to be hot.
    You may find that you become a bit obsessed with the weather from about 10 days out. However, the forecast has been shown to be mildly/wildly inaccurate.
    In summary, expect anything and everything 😉
  • Options
    2019 was perfect conditions! Cloudy and a little bit chilly. For the few years before it’s been a bit hot with some really hot ones, 2014 and 2017 I think. Plan to have throw away clothes for a chilly start and test out a range of options during your LSRs for running in. Then decide on the weekend.
    When you finish you’ll get your finisher T-shirt and a good plastic poncho to keep you warm until you get your bag or get to hotel if not doing bag drop. Last year we got a tiny bit cold at finish but we’re able to get to hotel quickly so we’re ok with ponchos. BUT 2019 was an exception imo, 2013 was pervious year with cool conditions.
  • Options
    Agree with Orbutt and RadarSal. I’ve ran It  five times. Four times it’s been various levels of hot, once it was pretty much perfect.

The first time I ran in it 2012 it was cool for the entire duration of the race. The last time I ran in It 2017 was very warm from start to finish.

You can’t control the weather, but you can plan what to do in different weather conditions.
  • Options
    A lot of people did good times in 2013 (it’s still my PB), and I remember being so cold in the pens at the start I couldn’t stop shivering. But there have been years when it’s been in the mid to high 20s, which is a bit stressful if you’ve been training in winter weather. So, in summary - could be anything!
  • Options
    Ha, suppose I should have guessed. Useful to know about it being cold in the pens though.
    At least I'll be well prepared if it's pissing with rain and blowing a gale
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    chamolk. A caveat would be, the early pens will be chilly until the sun comes up. The later pens don’t need to be entered until later. 
    For example, my pen (grey) closes at 9:45 and the sun (if it makes an appearance) will be well up by then.
  • Options
    Good point, hadn't thought of that (scrolls back through the thread to try and remember what pen I'm in) 
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Preferentials 
    Buzz2
    Red Pen  3:00 - 3:15
    Jimbob
    Yellow Pen 3:15 - 3:30
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish
    chamolk
    Blue Pen 3:30 - 3:45
    Eggyh73
    Purple Pen 3:45 - 4:00
    Yer Maj
    Nells
    wheatism
    Pistol101
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis
    PT_71
    GLit74 
    Stuchbury 
    Bandito27
    Green Pen 4:00 - 4:15
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B
    Robbo1983
    Running Rodent
    Grey Pen 4:15 - 4:30
    Orbutt
    Ahlovethecake
    Pink Pen 4:30 and over
    maccazz
    NatMac

• Options
    PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    Update on my Paris marathon, as you may recall from my last post on here, I was out of the marathon, well my back surgery has been cancelled and so I am back on the waiting list.............
    So the good news is i am back in the event, yipee
    I did my first proper lsr yesterday of 16 miles, left at 8.15am and took on storm dennis, was pleased with how the run went but I was shattered come the end.
    Anyway I am glad to be able to take part and see you out there
  • Options
    PT71 - Glad you’ll be able to run Paris. Be careful with your back. Hope you can get that sorted soon, so you can get back to full health.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    PT71 - it's a shame your op has been cancelled.
    As long as you can run without pain, or risking further damage to your back then looking forward to seeing you in Paris.
    Take it easy 🙂
  • Options
    PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    Cheers Eggy & Orbutt, thankfully i have had a good few years of managing my back. I will however be dropping down a start pen or two
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    PT71 - That sounds like a good plan. Enjoy a nice pootle around Paris.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    After a tip off from a mate, it would appear the our bib numbers are available on the TimeTo site.
    If you find yours then post it up and I’ll add it to the list.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Preferentials 
    Buzz2
    Jimbob
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish
    chamolk
    Eggyh73
    Yer Maj 29321
    Nells
    wheatism
    Pistol101
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis
    PT_71
    GLit74 
    Stuchbury 
    Bandito27
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B
    Robbo1983
    Running Rodent
    Orbutt 62399
    Ahlovethecake
    maccazz
    NatMac
  • Options
    Did a 30k tonight in 2.55 pretty happy with that. My second fastest. Found my bib number it's 39179.
  • Options
    Yeah, noticed that earlier after seeing someone post their number on twitter - I'm 10965
  • Options
    Ran without pain for the first time in a year on Sunday, which was nice. I'm 10102
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Preferentials 
    Buzz2
    Jimbob
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish - 10102
    chamolk - 10965
    Eggyh73
    Yer Maj 29321
    Nells
    wheatism
    Pistol101
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis - 39179
    PT_71
    GLit74 
    Stuchbury 
    Bandito27
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B
    Robbo1983
    Running Rodent
    Orbutt - 62399
    Ahlovethecake
    maccazz
    NatMac
  • Options
    Hurrah! Got my bib number: 33823
    My medical certificate still shows as “pending” but I feel a step closer to being ready... even if the training isn’t going quite to plan.
  • Options
    I have my number, it's 71283 - exactly six weeks today that I fly to Paris too. Dealing with a slight injury atm, but still ridiculously excited!!
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Hope the injury heals quickly NatMac and happy planning for your travels!

I'm number 29136 :smile:
  • Options
    NatMac I hope you're over the injury soon.
    My number is 19915.
  • Options
    Thank you Eggyh73 & Nells 😊
  • Options
    PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    My number is 49357

Good luck with the injury Natmac
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Preferentials 
    Buzz2
    Jimbob
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish - 10102
    chamolk - 10965
    Eggyh73 - 19915
    Yer Maj  - 29321
    Nells - 29136
    wheatism - 33823
    Pistol101
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis - 39179
    PT_71 - 49357
    GLit74 
    Stuchbury 
    Bandito27 - 33931
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B - 29329
    Robbo1983
    Running Rodent
    Orbutt - 62399
    Ahlovethecake
    maccazz
    NatMac - 71283

• Options
    Cautious advice post, forewarned is forearmed and all that. In case anyone's missed it Tokyo marathon has been cancelled for the public.
    official statement: https://www.marathon.tokyo/en/news/detail/news_001576.html
    articles around it: https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a30965124/runners-cancelled-tokyo-marathon/ https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/17/tokyo-marathon-restricted-to-elite-runners-over-coronavirus-scare-athletics
    Opinion I’ve seen, is that Japan is being very cautious because of risk to Tokyo olympics if outbreak gets bigger etc, and it’s not likely to happen to Paris, BUT check your bookings and travel insurance to see what position you could be in if it comes to the worst. It’s hard to know exactly as it can depend on what organisers choose to do I.e. postpone, cancel or something else, but good to have an idea beforehand.
    Paris went ahead with no hitches days after Boston attack and during yellow vest protests last year but viruses require different risk mitigations and France has had cases.
  • Options
    Natmac, take care of yourself! It’s more important to get to the start injury free and maybe undertrained rather than with an injury. If you haven’t already, RICE, see physio (if you can), and pop your issue on here if you want. Some one may be able to point you in the right direction. The regulars have ALL been there. I have had issues with hips, feet (plantar), calves and probably more that I’ve forgotten :D  :#:D:wink:
  • Options
    Morning All. I skived off my long run at the weekend as feeling a bit shitty about my running. Sore knee and now I have a sniffle as well. Did manage that 20 miler (barely) the previous weekend so that's something. Did 6 yesterday and 7 today on the commute and i'm definitely feeling weakened from my cold. Still hey ho. One run at a time and all that. 

Sunday's storm was enough for me to talk myself out of going but actually it was probably worse for those in southern coastal areas. A more focused Jimbob would have gone regardless and ticked the session off the plan. 

The Vaporflys are great out of the box. (i'm talking the 4% Flyknits) ….. I never train in them. Last year I took a brand new pair out of the box and raced the Half at headless chicken pace as part of my marathon training. Came in at 1.23'ish and my plates felt great. I went on to race 3 marathons and a bunch of other stuff in those shoes … around 130 racing miles. That particular pair I used for the first time recently in training at the track doing reps. They were great and that pair are now reserved for my track training. I just cracked a brand new pair at the Malaga Marathon in Dec. The only breaking in they got was the mile walk to the start area. I've no intention of wearing my Pink Nexts until I race the marathon. Eyeing London as my "A" race now due to lack of training, so will use the 4%s in Paris with an aim to "get round not too smashed up" and then "get smashed with you lot" (in the evening)