Options

Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    I'm signed up for Amsterdam on 18th October, so now I have to choose which one to do. The option to defer would have been good.
  • Options
    To top it all off, if you want to reschedule your Eurostar tickets, and you've booked a "Standard" ticket, I think it only lets you reschedule for a date up to six months after your original trip. So the weekend of October 18th falls outside this cut-off.
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Anyone any good with contracts? Just looking through the terms and conditions , and they repeatedly reference a French law that means leisure services on a set date are exempt from cancellation /refund. Given that they are now running the marathon on a different date, I wonder if this gives a route to claim a refund.

I can't do 18th October, but would probably have been able to do next April if they'd allowed deferrals until then .

Tbh, I'm just a bit fed up with it all now and want a refund and I'll move on. No idea if I'm even going to get to go to Paris for the weekend as planned with how things are going
  • Options
    PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone clever enough to set up a petition to be allowed to defer or get a refund
  • Options
    PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    So i got an email back from the organiser when I enquired about the options to defer or refund

Hello,

The Organiser had no choice but to postpone the event (October 18th 2020), refunds are not possible.
    The General Terms state that the event can be cancelled due to a case of force majeure affecting the Organiser. This is exactly what happened.

We remain at your disposal for further information,
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    I wondered if there was a potential loophole as the event wasn't cancelled - it was postponed, as they seemed keen to point out on social media
  • Options
    PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    Ive also been in contact with eurostar and the only chance of anything changing with them booking wise is if the government issues a not safe to travel ban, which i doubt will happen
  • Options
    > @Orbutt said:
    > minniegloo - hi. Liverpool is a great race but totally different from Paris. 
    > I’ve done it 4 times and I’ll be running it again this year, hopefully.
    > Its a bit more ‘lumpy’ and a bit quieter in parts but you get to see some great parts of the city - this year we’ll be running through the Kop stand at LFC again. The Scouse supporters are wonderful too.

Thanks Orbutt. Will see how Coronavirus pans out. I'm from Wigan though I live in Devon so would be a good excuse to visit the fam up there. I can't go out of my front door here with there being hills so that doesn't bother me but the headwind for the last 4 miles I read about does! Though I've done both Bournemouth Half and the Marathon ( not in the same weekend I might add!) and there was an evil headwind for the Half!
    Aw Liverpool would in no way compare to Paris I know :-( I've been there a few times and the marathon's always been on my bucket list. Don't know whether to just enter a couple of Halfs when we know where we are with coronavirus in the UK and save myself for October. Kind of feel like I've lost my mojo now too :-(

Hope everyone gets sorted with travel and accom arrangements - just glad I hadn't got round to booking travel yet. Also re: refunds from the Paris organisers I really do think that if people can't make the October date they should be allowed to defer to April. xx
  • Options
    Today's email just seems like "Oh, we forgot to remind you before that your medical certificate still needs to be valid for October, thnxkbye."
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I did laugh at that one.
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Hilton seem to have emailed today to say that all bookings are now changeable or refundable, so now we just need to see about flights - given how much is getting closed, and the possible risk of not being allowed to fly home (and 3 young children at home) we're thinking of not travelling to Paris at all now.

I've had two more half marathons that were coming up soon cancelled today. 
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Easyjet have just announced free flight changes this evening
  • Options
    PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    I had an email from the rocknroll marathon series this morning as I am booked on one of their events and it says that if they have to postpone and you can't make the new date they will allow deferrals to the following year. Paris could do with taking a leaf out of there book.
    Also eurostar could try and be more helpful 
  • Options
    PT71 that does sound far more realistic compared with our French marathon organisers...
    So what's the guess with London Marathon on 26th - cancel or no cancel?
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    NatMac my gut says it will be cancelled or postponed. 
    The government has yet to restrict sporting events and until this happens there is still hope.
    However, I can see this happening.
    Theres still 6 weeks until the race so they may wait until 4 weeks before announcing.
  • Options
    @NatMac That depends on if you think Boris will bluff his way through and continue ignoring medical advice on social distancing....personally I think he will have to put people before politics and events will be cancelled.

The reasons being given not to cancel are narrow minded. It's not just about spreading infections even though social distancing evidence shows it slows transmission. But also consider how many police, dosctors and ambulances have to support large sporting events. It puts a big strain on all public services...
  • Options
    PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't think they will pull London, as we all know this is a huge money making event, to the point where i think the greed out-ways the actual running, the charities rely on a huge cash injection at this time of year and i wouldn't be surprised if massive kick backs get laid out, so for me it will still be on

however if the premier league (the kings of greed) pull fixtures later today then maybe just maybe it will get pulled

• Options
    Orbutt I think the uncertainty was the worst part - so I really feel for the London guys in a limbo. As more large public events fall over, a cancellation will be less of a surprise, so a slow conditioning towards the inevitable outcome may make it a little more palatable. 
    Wheatism yes, a great deal of medical resources tied up when they could more efficiently spread elsewhere.
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Premier league suspended. 

I can't see the London marathon going ahead, unless someone is really trying to make a point about continuing with these things. I certainly haven't booked flights or hotel to travel to it yet. 

We're starting to cancel routine medical appointments in an effort to try and reduce spread and free up more time to deal with sick patients, which will make it harder and harder to justify running such a large event, given all the personnel needed, as you say. 
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    The other thing I would imagine being an issue with London going ahead (I'm also in for that one, but at least for me it's local so I'm not losing out on travel and accommodation costs) is that statistically from way things are being steered in the UK, a lot of those running will have gotten it between now and then, and a lot of those will be still feeling pretty rotten or even 'self isolating' and seeking a deferral to next year. I wonder if that will influence the thinking on postponing or not!
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Good point Nells, even if it runs , the field might be significantly reduced due to illness /isolating. I think the closing date to defer is just a few days before the marathon itself, so there could be a real flurry in that last week or two. Plus then there would be the added problem of all those extra runners next year. 
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Yup, you can defer up to 8pm the evening before (https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/deferred-entry/)! You still have to pay again I believe, but at least if you're a UK runner it isn't too much. I wouldn't fancy paying twice for NY or Chicago! I'm not 100% sure my place is defer-able as I got in via a volunteer crew ballot, so probably better to stay healthy if I can!
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Nells said:
    Yup, you can defer up to 8pm the evening before (https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/deferred-entry/)! You still have to pay again I believe, but at least if you're a UK runner it isn't too much. I wouldn't fancy paying twice for NY or Chicago! I'm not 100% sure my place is defer-able as I got in via a volunteer crew ballot, so probably better to stay healthy if I can!
    You can defer, I think Fiona did. Double check with Nigel.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Fiona got her place through Damian's ballot but I can't see there being an issue with deferring.
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal said:
    You can defer, I think Fiona did. Double check with Nigel.
    That was a whole other ballot  :D  and I think took some negotiations to be deferred...
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    London marathon postponed until October
  • Options
    chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Can run 4th October, get a refund, donate the fee to charity, or defer to next year - that's how it should be done
  • Options
    Munchkin2Munchkin2 ✭✭✭
    No email from Eurostar yet but if you go to their website there is now an option to swap your tickets for vouchers to be spent later in the year. Think we will do that so if nothing else we can pop over for Christmas shopping or maybe the marathon if we can somehow make the new date (which is unlikely).
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Thanks Munchkin - I've got a few trips booked in the coming months (visiting friend in Belgium, marathon, Euro 2020!!), so will see how many of them I can get credit for!
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Most of the big UK spring marathons now gone. Along with London both Manchester and Brighton are out.