Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Well, that’s the Eurostar voucher applied for and hotel cancelled :( So won’t be running a Not the Paris marathon run. If anyone else wants to organise go for it. I will run from home in support. Absolutely gutted not to be going to Paris.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal that's understandable. 
    At least you can get the Eurostar vouchers, which is a good thing.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I won’t be heading over either. Looking to see what I can do with my EasyJet flights and can’t risk having to quarantine with work dependency’s.
  • Even my early-Summer back up marathon (Edinburgh) has announced it's postponing now...

Still, just in time to save me and thousands of others from an otherwise somewhat pointless very long run tomorrow, which I'm sure is why they announced today as soon as the decision was made (and before they've worked out when the new date is)
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I’m still training for Liverpool - May 24th, same weekend as Edinburgh 😳. I’ve amended my plan and I’m only running 22k tomorrow 😁
  • Was planning to still go originally, but guess there's a reasonable chance even that option could be taken away over the next couple of weeks if France locks down.

So, just changed EasyJet flights for Oct this afternoon now that they've dropped the £55 charge per person per change. Managed to get them with no fare increase either by swapping the outbound March flight for inbound October flight, and vice-versa (was going to be nearly £100 doing like-for-like.)

Hotel was paid upfront on a cheaper rate with no cancellation option - we tried to change the dates, given the extraordinary reasons, via the booking site we used, to no avail. We then called the hotel direct, and they agreed to change and have confirmed in email, which was unexpected result - they did take a €30 'admin' charge per room, but worth it rather than lose much more for two rooms at two nights.

A workmate was then going to transfer his Edinburgh marathon entry as injured, but just seen your note Dom - so guess that's it for Spring.

Still bit gutted after 3.5 months of pretty good training this year, but at least got the option now to train again over summer! Though motivation last week and this coming week of plan pretty dire now :neutral: Need to raise it again soon :smiley:
  • <div>Just announced in France - all restaurants and non essential businesses must close until further notice from midnight tonight until further notice. Anyone still intending to run the marathon circuit will find it difficult to head out for carbo loading now 😬 </div>
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    They’ve really upped the control measures. This year has really thrown a huge curve ball at everyone.
  • Yes - and it's only March!!
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    Well voucher applied for, i will probably use it to go to the rearranged date now
  • Yes, I think it would seem tone-deaf to head over for essentially a holiday in the coming weeks. To me, it's beginning to seem like the October date may not go ahead either.

Mayor Hidalgo has announced Paris will close its public parks and gardens from tonight until further notice, and from tomorrow RATP is reducing the number of Metro, RER and bus services.
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone a club member and if so has your club stopped training sessions? 
    the club i belong too have as of today 
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Mine announced it over the weekend. A few coaches are working to set up maintenance training plans to be done alone, and someone's set up a Zwift commute (I don't Zwift, but we have a lot of triathletes!) for those WFH, and a group page if anyone's self isolating and needs help so we can say what neighbourhood we're in if we can help out, another to share ideas for virtual shared sessions, and also a group to try and get volunteers for the local food bank if able to do so. Encouraged to train alone for now! My partner is in the higher risk category (despite insisting he isn't, he is!), so I'm being extra cautious with any interaction.
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    England Athletics have sent an email outlining what clubs should be doing, i guess it has gone to all EA affiliated runners

• Lufthansa: F**** you - no refund/rebooking possible
    iBis Hotel: F**** you - no refund/rebooking possible
    Paris Marathon: F**** you - no refund and I cannot make the new date...

It is impossible to plan for such occasions, we can only be judged by our response. So I am resigned to ignore any financial aspects as after all; this is now a humanitarian crisis. BUT...

Next weekend I intend to run the marathon distance. I am not sure if I can do it outdoors yet or if it will be hundreds of times around my very very small patio. Anyone fancy joining me? Without the adrenalin and crowds and spirit of occasion I am no longer targeting any time; it will be my first time aiming for 26.2 miles.

I will post back here my results! :-)
  • Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭
    Hi Wheatism, not sure if you've seen this but various companies are in fact offering to move or refund. 

I found this on the iBis parent site..... might be of interested..

Global Policy for Existing reservations for upcoming travel through April 30, 2020:​

• Guests who booked a non-flexible rate with Accor for travel from March 1, 2020, may modify their reservation for future travel through April 30, 2021 without penalty by contacting the hotel directly. For a list of hotels, please refer to https://all.accor.com/gb/world/hotels-accor-monde.shtml 
    Note: changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences

For hotels in France:
    •    For a stay between March 1st, 2020 and prior to September 15th, 2020, guests may cancel their reservations and receive a credit voucher for the full value of their reservation for use within 18 months. To cancel and receive a credit voucher, please contact the hotel directly. https://all.accor.com/gb/country/hotels-france-pfr.shtml

https://all.accor.com/event/information.en.shtml
  • Thanks @Bandito27 but I didn't book direct so that is everyone's get out clause.
    It's been a long story, first contacted insurance company; they said contact booking agent; contacted booking agent; they said contact vendor direct; contacted vendors direct (LH, Accor/iBIS) who all said booking cancelled (by them) and are non-refundable. No-one is even allowing rebooking to different dates, except the marathon organisers.

From bis Paris Montmartre 18Eme:
    "This booking is Non-Refundable and cannot be amended or modified. Failure to arrive at your hotel or property will be treated as a No-Show and no refund will be given (Property policy)."

Seems what is stated publicly looks good on the surface but if you book, like many do, via travel agent or online booking sites forget it...
  • Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭
    wheatism said:
    Thanks @Bandito27 but I didn't book direct so that is everyone's get out clause.
    It's been a long story, first contacted insurance company; they said contact booking agent; contacted booking agent; they said contact vendor direct; contacted vendors direct (LH, Accor/iBIS) who all said booking cancelled (by them) and are non-refundable. No-one is even allowing rebooking to different dates, except the marathon organisers.

From bis Paris Montmartre 18Eme:
    "This booking is Non-Refundable and cannot be amended or modified. Failure to arrive at your hotel or property will be treated as a No-Show and no refund will be given (Property policy)."

Seems what is stated publicly looks good on the surface but if you book, like many do, via travel agent or online booking sites forget it...
    Sorry to hear that, very frustrating. I’m not sure but when all the dust settles I’d be appalled if hotels etc didn’t offer more than they are at present. Perhaps they’re trying to hide behind the small print in the short term to protect their business, some like Eurostar are allowing the movement of dates. I booked my hotel through hotels.com and as the hotel cancelled the booking as they’ve closed and given me a refund even though I chose the basic of basic options when I book. I’d keep at it and post on forums, fb, Twitter etc. You never know the swell of public ridicule may well force some companies to reconsider. Credit cards companies are a good avenue to follow if you have good documentation to show all other avenues have been tried and rejected. 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    EasyJet have cancelled my flight and the only option I have is to book another flight between now and February.
    I can’t go to Paris in October so I don’t want another flight but there is no other option.
    Its impossible to contact customer service. People have been waiting on hold for 2 hours and then the call drops out.
    Contact via messenger is met with an immediate robot response that says ‘I do not understand’.
    Contact via Twitter gets an automated response that says please use the ‘manage booking’ page - which only offers the option to re-book.

I can see me losing my money here.
    I can also see the possibility of EasyJet going under.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I must admit I’m counting it as lost money. Hotels and airlines will be verging on bankruptcy at this rate, so if me losing a the money for this trip helps keep a few people in work I’ll count it as a win.

Orbutt like yourself I won’t be in Paris in October and flight destinations from Glasgow are limited with EasyJet. Also nobody can be certain that all travel And public meeting restrictions will have been lifted in time for the autumn marathons, but hopefully that will be the case.

I’m waiting until this all blows over and then will decide on running and travel plans. I did have a nice 13 mile run this morning. One of the benefits of having unpopulated country roads in my vicinity. No people, but a fair few cows, sheep and lambs.

I hope everyone is well.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Eggy. I'd be happy with a travel voucher for use at a later date but they dont even seem to be offering that any more.
    I haven't left the house since Tuesday and I'm actually considering measuring the lawn to see what a lap would be 😁
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully you can get something from them. It must be hard for most of the travel industry to try and balance customer service, with a huge loss of business.

Laps of the garden, now that would be hardcore! I’m very fortunate that I can quickly get out the village and on to country roads. 
  • Good luck on Sunday everyon... oh.

Seriously, if you're planning on running a long distance be sensible and don't overdo it.

In other news, my hotel have been excellent and offered to transfer my non-transferable booking to the October date for a minimal fee. Let's just hope it goes ahead in October...
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I’ve got to admit, I keep thinking along the lines of ‘I’d be at the expo now....’
    I’m not running at the moment, I’ve taken the ‘Stay at home’ instruction to heart.
    The exercise bike is taking a beating, though.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Second best option. Paris Sticker Book with my daughter. 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Love the sticker book.

I was thinking today that I should have been flying over this morning, hitting the expo in the afternoon and then going to a little Italian restaurant that I really like in Montmartre in the evening. That was replaced with a busy day of work. Not something I can complain about given what others are going through.

I hope everyone and their families are well. 
  • Eggyh73 that sounds wonderful... On Tue I was supposed to have been starting my epic 3-wk holiday via Singapore then Paris for the best running event ever... Sigh... Instead I was slaving over a hot keyboard working from home 😂
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    NatMac - As someone who enjoys the occasional three week adventure in distant parts of the world I hope everything goes to plan for later this year. That’ll make the slaving over a keyboard worth it. 
  • Thanks Eggyh73, absolutely right. I was so looking forward to meeting you all but that'll keep too.
    It's 5th April here now in NZ, we should all be at the start line now (with allowances for timezones) - so just wanted to say Hello to all you wonderful people, stay safe and keep on running 😊
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    NatMac same to you.