Paris Marathon 2020

1181920212224»

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    NatMac well said. I was thinking I should have been doing the breakfast run this morning while out for a run. Also thinking of the good times and friends I’ve made from running Paris (I had the pleasure of the company of a couple of lovely Scousers in Vienna this time last year. Thanks team Orbutt). Saturday night group meal is always a great time to meet up with friends old and new. 

Everyone keep safe. My thoughts will be in Paris tomorrow morning.
  • 3 hours, 39 minutes, 26 seconds...

p.s. No lockdown rules were broken, social distancing does not apply to cows which is pretty much all I have in my local area :-)

I'll be signing off from the Paris Marathon forum as I can't make it later this year. I think I will make my first "official" marathon in Rome. They treated runners really well when the event was cancelled and Italy will really need to tourism money.

Good luck to all, thanks for the advice and stay safe

Sam
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Well done wheatism! Take care.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    wheatism that’s a great time well done.
    I think the Paris reaction to the postponement was typically French, unfortunately.
    Word of warning about Rome, though. Cobbles, many cobbles.
    Enjoy your running and stay safe.
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    so after the information posted today regarding the marathon, am i right in thinking it is now off for this year completely, or have I read it wrong
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    After a long few months in lockdown, we sincerely hope that all is well with you and those close to you and that you’ve been able to begin readjusting to normality. With a bit of luck, you will have been able to do some sort of physical activity each week during the lockdown. We don’t know about you but we can’t wait for everything to go back to normal so we can put our fruits of our training to the test in a timed course.

As you know, the COVID-19 public health crisis has profoundly impacted sport, on an amateur and professional level. A.S.O. hasn’t been able to organise a public event since the beginning of March. Within this context, on the 7th May, the French Council of Ministers voted for a resolution detailing how we can respond to questions concerning the cancellation of our events. It means that up until the 15th September 2020, we are able to offer you a voucher for a similar event that will be valid for 18 months instead of an immediate refund.

This means that following the cancellation of the Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris on the initial date of 5th April, you will benefit from a voucher with a value equivalent to what you spent on the bib and additional options. You can use this voucher to sign up for more A.S.O. events over a period of 18 months, after which, any unspent funds on the voucher will be refunded to you.

We are currently working very hard to put these vouchers in place for the large number of riders/runners who had been preparing for our events over the last few months. In mid-July, you’ll receive an email specifying the value of your voucher and the practical information on how to claim etc. We regret any inconvenience caused by this exceptional situation and we thank you for your understanding.

In the meantime, we wish you all the best and we can’t wait to see you, even if our priority remains the health of everyone.

We hope to see you soon!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I've read that email a few times and I must admit to being confused.
    It mentions that the April race was cancelled but I thought it was postponed until October.
    Theres also no mention of the October race.
    I wonder if theres another shoe to drop?
  • jxmitchelljxmitchell ✭✭✭
    I think what it means is those who don't want to run in October will get a refund or a voucher for another race, and in the event the October race is cancelled (which may or may not happen) everyone gets a refund or voucher. 

The official site and Facebook page still has the October 18th date on, so I don't think it's been cancelled entirely. Yet. Unless they just haven't updated those pages. 

I think it'll become clearer in mid-July, like they say. 

ASO have used the same basic template email for all their other cancelled events, which is probably why this email seems to contradict information they're announced previously. 
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    A Paris 20k due to go ahead one week before the October marathon date has just been cancelled. Pretty sure the October Marathon will not go ahead. 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I think it’s highly doubtful any large events like this will go ahead in 2020, unless there are some dramatic new developments in the near future.

I’ve already written off this year in terms of races and travel.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    France have announced sports stadiums can have up to 5000 spectators,so all is not lost yet for you guys.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭

In order to organize the Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris in the best conditions possible, we have decided, in consultation with the City of Paris and the Paris Police Department, to postpone the date of the race.

The new date set for the Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris is Sunday, 15th November 2020. The Paris Breakfast Run will be held on Saturday 14thNovember.
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    Anyone still going to take part? or are you going to take the voucher 
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Think I will do the November. 
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    Im undecided as I had kinda written it off for this year, although the cooler weather is a big draw as I don't run well in the heat 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Started hearing whispers of the changed date, over the weekend. Apparently the sponsors had been informed and let it out.

I think I'd be inclined to go for April,  as we're still not clear of the virus so can we be sure that it will be OK in November?

Still, very poorly handled by ASO
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Me too Orbutt - I've already had to cancel so many travel plans this year, I really don't have the energy to go through booking everything again without a certainty that I'll be able to do it. I have quite a lot of money to spend on Eurostar journeys (I had three to four trips across the channel on the cards this year!) but I think I'll wait until next year to use them as it took such a long time to actually get them in the first place I don't want to have to go through that again! I'm going to stick to smaller UK races if any for this year, and I think visiting family in the UK I haven't been able to see since February / March will be the extent of my travels for the coming months.
  • Buzz2Buzz2 ✭✭
    When is it possible to claim the voucher as, like others I had re-booked the family trip in October? For me its not happening in 2020 but will be there for 2021
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Buzz. I think we'll be getting an email at the end of July which will confirm our entry in the November event.
    That email will include the option to go for the voucher.

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Would like some help here. Nice Cannes was the 8th November, has just been postponed to the 29th. 

As Paris is now the 15th I am seriously thinking about that instead as the coastal wind on Nice Cannes could be a nightmare by late November.

Advantages of doing Paris??? Anyone else still doing it?? What are the disadvantages of it? Any views very welcome!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hi TT. Do you have a place in Paris already, as I wouldn't have thought that there will be any more places on sale?
    As for advantages - its Paris. Its a truly magical city.
    The course is great.
    Disadvantages. Difficult to say really, as I love the event. 
    I'm not sure if current conditions will affect the event itself though.
    If you have to make a choice and the idea of the coastal winds doesn't rock your boat, then go for Paris.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Thanks Orbutt, it is sold out, but I am thinking people will defer and that will open up places. 
  • Now the 2020 event is outright cancelled. 

No word on whether the 2021 event will be in April as usual or later in the year. 
  • The November event has now been cancelled. 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    That’s a shame. Here’s hoping 2021 goes ahead.
    That means we need a new thread

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/349614/paris-marathon-2021/p1?new=1

See you there.
    Please turn the lights off when you leave 😁
  • I've wanted to go to Paris for a long time, I wanted to visit the restaurant in the Eiffel Tower. Going there soon, really looking forward to the day of departure, this is my first vacation in five years