Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• I'm not sure yet - will find out later when I pick it up.

> @Orbutt said:
    > Robbo1983. It stings a bit being charged but I know of people who have paid their doctors a lot more - or some who have refused to sign.
    > Just to check. Did they sign the form from the website without altering it?
    > Did they stamp the form?
    > Sounds petty  but the French are a bit picky.
  • Robbo1983 - It’s a pain, but that’s not too bad. As Orbutt has noted there are some folk who’ve been charged a small fortune by their GP to sign the medical form, and even some GP’s who point blank refused to sign it.
  • > @Eggyh73 said:
    > Robbo1983 - It’s a pain, but that’s not too bad. As Orbutt has noted there are some folk who’ve been charged a small fortune by their GP to sign the medical form, and even some GP’s who point blank refused to sign it.

So.. I have the form. Signed, stamped etc. She did cross out the words 'no contraindications' and replaced with 'a normal BP and regular heart rate and no previous history of heart or lung disease'.

I think they charged me the £17 which I noticed on their price list today was the same as a 'Fit to travel certificate'. I'd never noticed the price list in there before.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I've never even heard of a fit to travel certificate. I presume this must be the sort of thing an insurance company requests.
    Ok, get it scanned and uploaded. They wont look at it until January but at least if there's any problems with it they'll let you know.
    Nothing worse than turning up at the expo when you're not sure if they'll accept your certificate.
  • I've uploaded it so that's another one for the 'Yes' pile .. fingers crossed.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Excellent.
    I managed to tweak my calf walking to work this week.
    Totally nuts.
    I'm better at managing injuries these days, so a bit of rest for me.
    I hope everyone else is having better luck with their training.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Orbutt said:
    Excellent.
    I managed to tweak my calf walking to work this week.
    Totally nuts.
    I'm better at managing injuries these days, so a bit of rest for me.
    I hope everyone else is having better luck with their training.
    I managed to get a very sudden painful twinge in my back standing still talking to someone earlier this week Orbutt! Thankfully after about 5 seconds thinking I was never going to be able to move from that spot in the kitchen, it went away again. I had some trouble with my back earlier this year (too much time in front of a computer  :( ) and was back at the chiropractor today for a 6 week follow up and it seems to be ok, and I was also applauded on the improvements in my backside and core, so I'm hoping my recent campaign of strength work is paying off!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    It's really bonkers how doing something innocuous can result in a silly injury.
    Totally with you on the "I'll never be able to run again" thoughts 😁
  • Yeh I picked up a calf injury 8.25km into a 10km run on Saturday. Injury came from nowhere. One second cruising, the next unable to run. Had a few minutes walking, which was really cold so had to hobble run/walk home. Annoying.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Sounds like its injury season.
    Take it easy folks
  • Take care all. Paris is a fair bit away. Let these niggles get sorted out and hopefully everyone can get a decent injury free run at Paris.
  • > @PT_71 said:
    > I've not ran due to a herniated disc in my lower back L5 S1, the same disc that i had surgery on 6 years ago but on the opposite side, I had 6 injections in my spine and a week in hospital mid September.

So I have managed a very slow parkrun and a slow 4 mile club run last night, 1st time back at club since end August. been trying to keep my fitness up with swimmimg, exercise bike and pilates, however the 4 weeks of inactivity have taken there toll.
    Does the medical certificate need to be submitted prior to race day or can you take it with you to collect your number? reason I ask is I have no chance of getting one signed currently
  • Good to hear you’re easing yourself back into things.

Plenty of time until you need to get the medical certificate sorted. As far as I’m aware you can still hand it in on the day, but someone who ran last year would be better placed to say.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    I think I got mine the Wednesday before the race one year, and the next year the marathon was a week earlier so it was still valid for that one too!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    PT_71 glad to hear you're breaking yourself back in slowly. No need to rush the fitness will return.
    In previous years it has always been possible to take your medical certificate to the expo. This used to be the only way.
    I always found this to be quite stressful, always expecting the Gallic shrug and shake of the head.
    As Eggy said, you've got plenty of time to submit it online so there's nothing to worry about at the moment.
    Nells.  That was a real win-win 😊

• thanks everyone for the info
  • Yay! I'm injured too!

Something wrong in my right thigh, not muscular as it's been painful since the Summer whenever I twist... Anyway, decided to 'run through' the injury, bien sur, and entered several halfs and a virtual marathon for Sept-Oct.

This all led, somewhat inevitably, to referred pain in my back and eventually a case of runner's knee so bad that I had to drag a locked-straight leg for the final 3 miles of my virtual marathon. Walking this felt harder than running and my heart rate was still as high.(Baling out wasn't an option, BTW - I had to get back to my car whatever, and completion got me guaranteed entry to New York in 2020).

I slogged three 20-minute miles in driving rain with an expression of pain on my face so bad that multiple passers by stopped me to ask if I needed help.

I did. I needed one of them tell me 3 months ago not to be a middle-aged idiot.

So I'm taking November easy - haven't run in 2 weeks, will slowly re-introduce running a mile at a time and stopping whenever I feel pain and taking a day off between each run. The aim is now to reach late December having slowly built up to running 5 miles 4 times a week, with Sunday long slow runs having reached the 10 mile mark.

Going to see my doctor tomorrow. I'm so lucky - he's a triathlete and always signs my certificate without demur.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Oh Dom it sounds like you're having a nightmare. 
    Congratulations on completing your virtual marathon and getting in to New York. The pain will be worth it but, all the same - ouch.
    Have you been to a Physio to see if you can get to the source of the problem?
    Did it come on suddenly or was it a gradual build up?
    How does it feel when your walking, does that hurt too?
    Take it really easy. You've got your fitness to fall back on, so there's no need to worry about that.

ps. I've just checked and there is something called 'thigh splints' which is like shin splints in the thigh. Might be worth checking this out to see if it matches your symptoms 

• Dom - Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope the recovery goes well.

Well done on getting an NYC place. 
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your injury Dom, and hope it gets better sooner rather than later. I'm another that's guilty of thinking I can 'run off' a niggle, but I think I might be getting a bit too old and battered for that these days!

I have a bit of an issue with that NY virtual marathon qualifier thing. You're the second person I know of that risked breaking themselves to complete it. It's a lot of money to throw away if you end up with slightly injured that week, so the temptation will be to do the run regardless. They had a sweepstake on Strava (50 places up for grabs, but for US residents only) where you had to run 26.2 miles over the marathon weekend, so had 4 days to do it (Friday to Monday!), which I think is a bit more sensible.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Nells. NYRR are all about the money and this was a great money making scheme.
    There were 500 places in the virtual marathon and each place cost $125.
    Once you've run the virtual marathon you are guaranteed a place, which you still have to pay for.
    Let's assume that not everyone completed their virtual marathon. This means that NYRR have made $125 and can still sell the place.
    Great business.
  • Hi, I can't seem to start a discussion so please forgive me for hijacking this thread. I missed out on registering for Berlin 2020. Is there any way I can get just a bib? I've looked at the official tour partners but they all offer hotels as well. As I will be travelling with my family around Europe for a couple of months we are not sure of our itinerary just yet (except to say we'll be in Berlin if I can get a bib :) ) Thanks very much.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Worf. Sorry to hear you missed out on Berlin. Did you not enter the ballot in time?
    I don't know of any, legitimate, way of just getting a bib - aside from buying one off a registered runner and the Germans are really strict about this kind of thing.
    Tour companies make their money from the hotels and flights so are unlikely to sell bibs only.
    You could always try to see if there are any places to run for a charity.

• Nells said:
    Sorry to hear about your injury Dom, and hope it gets better sooner rather than later. I'm another that's guilty of thinking I can 'run off' a niggle, but I think I might be getting a bit too old and battered for that these days!

I have a bit of an issue with that NY virtual marathon qualifier thing. You're the second person I know of that risked breaking themselves to complete it. It's a lot of money to throw away if you end up with slightly injured that week, so the temptation will be to do the run regardless. They had a sweepstake on Strava (50 places up for grabs, but for US residents only) where you had to run 26.2 miles over the marathon weekend, so had 4 days to do it (Friday to Monday!), which I think is a bit more sensible.
    Yeah... I did feel that I just needed to finish, even on my hands and knees, as I couldn't very well try again the next week. It was pretty bleak towards the end!

Would I have run in Paris if I suspected I was a bit broken? Well, I know the answer - I've done so (and got away with it). However, the virtual nature of this one meant I had under-prepared: too much racing the weeks leading up to it, no real taper.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    That's a really interesting view, Dom and I hadn't thought about that.
    You wouldn't really be training to peak for a virtual marathon, even though you probably should have treated it exactly like a normal race.
  • Orbutt said:
    That's a really interesting view, Dom and I hadn't thought about that.
    You wouldn't really be training to peak for a virtual marathon, even though you probably should have treated it exactly like a normal race.
    Agreed! I'd say "lesson learned" but history shows that I'll do the same stupid things again when enough time has passed ;)
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Oh we've all done that.
    I've got loads of advice for injured runners but I was never very good at practicing what I preached.
    I'm much better now but I still have to give myself a bit of a talking to on occasions 
  • I’m pretty sure all of us who’ve been running long enough and should know better have done that at done point.

I’ve been there and done that. A groin strain that because I wouldn’t rest sufficiently lasted for over a year and almost killed my enthusiasm for running.

Thankfully I’m much better now at telling myself I’m better off missing some training and resting, than trying to force myself to out train an injury.
  • Hi Worf - I think the only way is to buy a whole tour package. I wouldn’t risk buying a number off another runner for Berlin as you have to show your passport at registration and then you get a wristband you need to wear until the race, so it would be difficult to swap. 
  • Also - are you even a runner if you’ve never thought ‘I’ll just run through this injury until it gets better’, and then taken part in some massively ill-advised race?