Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent - that made me chuckle and smile knowingly  :)
  • I've officially entered! Looking forward to discussing everything with you all again. It was very useful for 2019. One year older - 60 this time. 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Yay phronesis.
    Let me know your pen and I'll add you to the list.
  • Thanks Orbutt. You’ve already got me in the 3.45 to 4.00 I think. 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I should have checked first  :)
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Welcome to December, fellow Parisiennes.
    Anyone following a plan? If so, when does it start?
  • Have just written my own plan. Started off a few weeks ago with a 40 mile week, then I've just had two weeks of about 4 miles each due to a cold that just wont go away. Hopefully getting back in to things this week.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    chamolk. I know what you mean about the persistent cold, I'm suffering from that too. Seems to be improving, as is my aim with snot rockets.🤣
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    I'm using this as a guide, have used it a few times now. I've never managed to come close to ticking off every run on there, but it gives me a bit of a structure to follow! 

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/marathon/a760109/rws-basic-marathon-schedules-intermediate/

Managed to fall over and badly bosh my knees yesterday, but did an easy 3.5 mile trot today to test them out and tick off day 2 of the advent and they seem to be ok, just a nice shade of purple. Good job it's tights weather! I normally manage to fall over right at the start of summer...
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I was liking the look of that until I realised that M stood for Miles and not Minutes 😳
    Ouch, look after your knees. I think we need to wrap you in cotton wool.
    Hopefully, you've got your fall out of the way early.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Orbutt - last time I fell badly I went on to fall again twice to make it three bashes to the same knee in two weeks, followed by months of (still ongoing) physio on my shoulder! I'm hoping it won't be a habit and that it's a one off this time, though I managed to stay upright today with ice on the ground, so there's hope!
  • Nells - Hope you’re ok after your fall.

My training for Paris started today. I’m just following the same self made plan I used for my races this year.
  • I I’m following the Runner’s World sub 4 hour plan. Due to start it 9 Dec. 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Apparently there are already 50,000 registered runners.
    I wonder what the cut off is?
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Wow! It's usually 40k something isn't it?!

Inspired by this thread, I thought I'd better check when I need to start my plan, and it seems it would be on the 16th! Good job I checked, not much time left to finesse my procrastination skills...
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    And I had to use nearly all my fingers and toes to work it out...
  • 50,000 and entries are still open!
    There's going to be some epic queues for the portaloos in the pens!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    It's got to close soon. 
    I know a few years ago Dark Vader and Classical Diva were the 40,000th runners to cross the line. That was the first time there had been that many finishers.
    Maybe they're trying to get 50,000 finishers?
  • I'd forgotten about that.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they were aiming for 50,000 finishers. I know they've signed up that many before, but the dropout rate normally takes in down to the low/min 40's.
  • I've a vague recollection of seeing 55,000 somewhere, but don't hold me to that. I imagine they count on a fairly predictable number of DNS
  • Nells - ouch on the knee, but as you say, at least it’s tights weather. The skinned knee, with the spring marathon toenail casualty that inevitably seems to fall off just as we get to sandal season, is not a good look. 
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Thanks RR. I thought the graze was getting better, but the lovely scab keeps coming off and I'm back at stage one with a weeping wound! Have stuck a hydrocolloid plaster on it today and will try and keep that on for two or three days then take a peek! It isn't stopping my running luckily!

I had a good 10 mile run today, and nice to get up into double figures again as I haven't had that many of those this year. My plan should start on the 16th, and has a 9 mile run on the Sunday, so I'm glad to be a little bit ahead of myself in that respect. And I bumped into a parkrun friend just before 5 miles who kindly turned around and tagged along with me for about 4 miles. He's much faster than I am, so he was very generous to crawl along with me, but also helped me avoid the inevitable slog and slowdown that comes as I start to increase the mileage. Even managed to make the last mile and a half on my own my second and third fastest miles (fastest being the first where I went off too fast, as usual), despite the last mile (second fastest!) being up a horrible hill and into a nasty headwind. So that's made me feel a bit better about my lack of distance training this year, and fingers crossed bodes well for starting on The Plan!
  • Like most, my plan kicks off on the 16th, Works night out on the 14th seems to be the end to the Festivities before Christmas even arrives... not a bad thing although I do prefer the 16 week plan coinciding with the start of the new year as the attitude is certainly more attuned with a new start. I've been struggling with consistency over the past 2 months due to a stress fracture on my foot, the desire to go train again too soon has hampered mileage and effected confidence. Slowly getting back to where I hoped to be. Good luck all with your training through the cold and darkness of Winter. Look forward to the City of Light. Don't fret if you cant make every session, don't overdo it and build over the coming months. Slow and steady is the key!!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Buzz2. Glad you're getting back to where you should be. Look after your foot, it's a bit important 😊
    Enjoy your works night out, hope it's a good one.
    I chickened out of a training run tonight due to torrential rain and gusty wind but it's early days yet. 
    Still got a cough that's hanging around longer than it should, too.
    Poor me. Time to put on by big boy pants and HTFU.

• Have entered also - first time for Paris marathon (did Stirling in 2018, so second marathon only.)  Going for sub-4 training plan which is maybe overly ambitious as would be 35 min improvement - started this week on a 17 week plan that’s 5 days per week. So will see how first few weeks of more intense training plan goes and decide as I go if I continue that or drop to 4 days per week if body or family demand otherwise!  Can’t wait to get there though a should be awesome. Just the wee matter of 17 weeks of winter runs now ❄️👍
  • Buzz2 - It takes a while to get confidence back after an injury like that. I was the same after fracturing my fifth metatarsal a few years ago. Don't worry eventually you'll forget all about it and the phantom twinges will disappear.

GLit74 -Welcome to the thread. You'll love Paris, it's where I cracked sub-4 for the first time back in 2012 after a few failed attempts. It's fair to say it'll be less hilly than Stirling.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    GLit74 - hello and welcome.
    17 weeks will fly by 😳
    I'll add you to the runners list, in the sub-4 pen.
    If you believe then you can achieve 😊
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Preferentials 
    Buzz2
    Red Pen  3:00 - 3:15
    Jimbob
    Yellow Pen 3:15 - 3:30
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish
    chamolk
    Blue Pen 3:30 - 3:45
    Eggyh73
    Purple Pen 3:45 - 4:00
    Yer Maj
    Nells
    wheatism
    Pistol101
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis
    PT_71
    GLit74
    Green Pen 4:00 - 4:15
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B
    Robbo1983
    Running Rodent
    Grey Pen 4:15 - 4:30
    Orbutt
    Pink Pen 4:30 and over
    maccazz
  • PT71PT71 ✭✭✭
    For some strange reason I have had to re-register to the forum to be able to post, It said that my account details had been changed? so I was formerly PT_71
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    The forum works in mysterious ways.
    Consider it a fresh start.
    How's the training going? Is everything still holding up ok?