Has anyone ever disputed a gfa time?

I ran a marathon in 3.45.40 but ran 0.25 of a mile over the official marathon distance. Someone told me I could dispute the time because I ran over the distance and still apply for a gfa place.

Does anyone know if this is accurate or has anyone done this?

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Marathons will always come out long on your watch due to weaving around people and various anomolies. London's bad for it as Canary Wharf will throw your satnav out by quite a bit (when I did The Big Half, it told me I ran a 6 minute mile there. Er...no).
    You could dispute the time if you think the time is wrong, but not if you think the distance is wrong, because it won't be. Sorry.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    No chance would it be allowed if your only complaint is the distance on your watch said more,let me know because I'll run a track marathon,they measure about 28 miles on a watch so could get my gfa that way.
  • What your GPS measured and the distance you actually ran are two completely different things.  Sorry, but whoever told you that was either pulling your leg or misinformed.
  • Not a chance I'm afraid. 
    The marathon distance is measured accurately - more accurately than the GPS. 

The only time this works is if the marathon has measured it wrong and that is very unusual. 
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Cal Jones said:
    Marathons will always come out long on your watch due to weaving around people and various anomolies. London's bad for it as Canary Wharf will throw your satnav out by quite a bit (when I did The Big Half, it told me I ran a 6 minute mile there. Er...no).
    You could dispute the time if you think the time is wrong, but not if you think the distance is wrong, because it won't be. Sorry.
    When I did the Philly half my Garmin had me as a) covering the first two miles in 6:59 and 6:57 (I was running with the 2 hour pacers!!) b) had me doing a sub 50 min 10k and c) a sub 23 min 5K. Even on my good days I'm not that fast. And Philly was definitely not a good day. It also had me running 13.83 miles. No wonder I blew up  :'(
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited April 29
    There's been an official Garmin Marathon for the last 17 years and people always joke "is it 26.55 miles long?"

https://worldsmarathons.com/marathon/garmin-marathon
  • I did not know that !