Tuesday 30th April 2019 - And for love's sake, each mistake

Morning.

Lyrics - And for love's sake, each mistake

Chilly and foggy here this morning but it's forecast to be another nice day for running, dry and still <<sigh>> absolutely no chance for me, both calves are still solid despite all my moving, stretching and massaging.

What:             nothing
Why:              calves don't work
Last hard:      getting from the bedroom to the bathroom in the middle of the night
Last rest:       29/4

Yesterday's lyrics - Stupid Girl by Garbage.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

Lmh hope your calves ease soon. How are you feeling mentally now?  Echo what others said, well toughed out and although not what you wanted, a great achievement.

Chick great race report. Hope your Norovirus is better

Did 6 km run walk at club last night. 50 min on my feet.

What: a walk
    Why: good weather
    Last hard: walking down the stairs! Stiff legs this morning
    Lyrics: nope

Hope you managed to tackle the housework  daisy.

Ale hope the Achilles is better this morning.

Have a lovely day all
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Should have known yesterday's lyrics but brain fog was too heavy. Finally back among the living today.

Thanks for your kind words yesterday.

Not sure if it's the virus or the run or a bit if both but my calves haven given up on me too, LMH. Could barely make it down the stairs this morning and walking is a bit of an issue. Ouchy ;) I'm on the electrolytes this morning. If they don't help with the pain at least they should help with hydration.

What: nothing
    Why: virus
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: yes
  • emzap - mentally, it's done, can't change it, I did my best on the day so time to move on though I would like to know what happened to my calves and why my stomach was so bad - and what I can do to prevent both happening next time of course. I don't have cramp issues, never have, and I'm not even sure this was cramp as rather than that awful sharp pain it was a real filling up with concrete feeling and both calves are still very stiff and sore though I think a bit better on Grace's walk this morning. Hope your legs ease.

Glad you are feeling better chicksta - strange that you have a calf issue too. Yours were ok during the race though?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Take it easy Emz!

What: short run, long Pilates

Why: Tuesday/easy running day/work
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Take it easy Emz!
    LmH - you too. I am by no means an expert but possibly the stomach issues could be stress related - never underplay the mental side: you've being dealing with a lot of issues (personally) and still had a target run in mind - sometimes the body just does it's own thing. This MAY compound the calf issues: stomach problems can cause water/salt loss (dehydration) plus a stomach issue may impact your gait / pronation, which in turn COULD lead to calf issues. Just suggestions but ultimately just take it easy - the minimal benefits of a short run are outweighed by the injury risking downsides. 

What - club night, but taking it easy
    Why - racing at the weekend
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - possibly yesterday. 

vets league last night down in Portsmouth. Fully expected to do the 2k walk given I've done it before (and surprisingly it's not the most popular event). Elevated to the youngsters category - V35:49 - by virtue of being 'the fastest' - and did not disappoint. First PB in many a year, with 25s lopped off my previous time with 12:30.7 - so around 10min/miling
    Ummed and ahhed about running the 400 or 1500 'for fun' but it was pointed out that if I did the gun would go and 'easy' would go out the window. Succumbing to logic, I did an easy 3 mile recovery and watched from the sidelines instead. Fun!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    LMH: my calves shut down on the home straight preventing me from a sprint finish. I've never had this in a half marathon before. And they were at their worst when I tried to pull my socks off :D. I wonder if it was due to the cold and wet conditions.

Nicely walked, Dustin :)
  • Well done Dustin. No chance of me attempting a run today don't worry - maybe a swim tomorrow. I think you may be right about the combination of factors.

chicksta - it was very cold in London when we were waiting in the pen (about 40  minutes) and took me until about five miles to feel that I had warmed up a bit so that could have been a factor too.
  • Great HM report yesterday Chicksta. Good you are feeling better today.

Well done on the long run mileage Ale.  Hope the achilles isn't too grumpy today.

Have a nice LSR today OH.

LMH hope the calves ease up soon - physio tomorrow might be painful! (wincing in sympathy already).

Enjoy the nice weather out walking emzap. 

Swift walking Dustin well done on the PB. 

What: probably out with the group later, not sure yet.  Might well do a flat route by myself instead of the usual hills and just meet up for a quick chat.
    Why: Tuesday but need to be careful of a grumbly right calf and not to overdo things (another race coming up on Friday)
    Last hard: Overcoming CNBA for my late recovery yesterday evening - OH came with me so it was a nice gentle 5 mile outing.
    Last rest: 27.04

Lyrics: no
  • Morning
    Great race report and hope you are feeling lots better after norovirus>

Dustin: Wow fast walking a career in race walking ? Great PB well done.Did you celebrate with cake?

LMH: What is interesting is that a few runners who ran London had issues  evenDewi Griffiths elite athlete had cramping calf issues and finished around 6 mins outside his target time.I do wonder if the cold wait at start had an effect?

What@ 7 miles
    Why: Because I can and did
    Last hard: Getting out of bed
    Lyrics:No

Another good run this morning :)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Sounds like we're in good company then. Big fan of Dewi Griffiths ever since his gutsy performance in Frankfurt 2017.

You seem to love your running at the moment, poppy. Can't wait to get out again ... Such a gorgeous day today but just getting from the couch to the kitchen is a major task at the mo.

Well done overcoming the CNBA fairy, Hazel.
  • You sound quite poorly chicksta - hope you feel better soon.

Another hill race Hazel? My physio is always rather brutal so i think I'm going to take something to bite on tomorrow................

Lovely to hear you enjoying your running so much Poppy.

My left calf is so much better I would try a little run on it but the right one definitely isn't ready yet. Maybe tomorrow but I will be sensible.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Afternoon.....I have emerged from housework! I am so behind with trips to in-laws and rugby touring, but they are far more fun 😉. 

Chicksta....hope you are feeling better. Sounds grim! 

LMH....hope your calves continue to loosen up and the physio is "kind" (my osteopath never is 😉) 

Dustin....great walking. Stanmer was lovely yesterday. No mud and. Nice cuppa at the end of our walk. 

Poppy ☺ to a good outing

Hazel... enjoy your evening.

Emz....hope you are feeling less tired than you were and your legs are OK now.

Ale...love pilates, just hope they've turned the heating off in the church hall for my class tomorrow as it was steamy last week! 

What: 6 miles, felt slow and sticky today. 
    Why: because it's Tuesday and I was twitching
    Last hard: watching Game of Thrones last night, every nerve shredded! 
    Last rest: 29/4

Lyrics: recognise them but cannot place! 

• Hope the marathoners and half marathoners legs start to feel better soon

Lovely LSR along west coast of Orkney today (Stromness to Birsay). 20 miles D&D in total.
    Stopped to take lots of photos
    Right time before Cape Wrath Challenge week. Glorious day.
    Each to their own, but I'd choose this every time over an overcrowded city marathon
    last hard: today but good
    tomorrow will be more restful
    lyrics : no
  • No apologies for photo overload. It was too good a day not to share!
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Glorious photos! Not surprised you've got a huge smile on your face OH....much nicer than my loop round Patcham! 
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Stunning oh and some great stacks there too. Looks like perfect weather as well.

Walked into town and back, about 3km. Legs tired but much loser than this morning.

Glad yours are starting to lose up lmh.

Daisy still very tired but I'm getting more used to what I can do each day now.

Have a great day
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    You always shoot the most amazing pics, OH. Brilliant :+1:
  • The purple flower is a primula scotica
  • Beautiful OH and I'd enjoy that too - I don't think you have to like either/or. Did you frequent Birsay Tea Room for some refuelling when you'd finished? 

Glad you're feeling a bit better too emzap.
  • Tea Room closed on Tuesdays at this time of year