7.5 hour pacer gets called "fat and slow" at VLM (but why was she on the road?)

Comments

• This is why all of our elections go wrong. The country is full of idiots who know nothing but still expect to have a say in matters.

Over 9 hours for a Marathon? I've marched one in under 7 and that was after swimming 2.4 miles and cycling 112. 

Maybe people will get the message that you only get out of it what you put in.  Train hard and you have a great day. Don't do anything and you have a crap time and a long empty walk that looks nothing like the fun on the television coverage. 

But I doubt it. 

• perhaps the answer is the 'bus of shame' if you havent reached a certain point by a certain time you go on the bus so the road can be opened up. I can see that its a huge achievement even in 8 hours and for some with health issues and those not the best prepared but raising money for worthy causes, finishing time is not the main thing, its just finishing. 
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

the clip that has been shared lots of times online is of the Rotterdam Marathon celebrating the last finisher. Big crowds cheering, ticker tape parade etc etc.

The key points that aren't being noticed is that this 'last finisher' crosses the line at 6h32 gun time on the clock and that there is a sweeper car just behind her because the race has a 5h30 chip time cut off (which was presumably stretched for her?)

I reckon anyone finishing with a 6h32 gun time at London got a pretty good reception in the Mall?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Gladrags, where I’ve seen that video promoted as a comparison to London I’ve pointed out the 5:30 cut off. Not sure why it wasn’t stuck to really. I did Rotterdam this year - it’s a nice race although not a firm favourite of mine. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, imagine if the crowds knew that the last runner finishing London would be at around 6hr 30. I think there would be huge scenes and support for them in the last 2 miles. Now imagine the outrage if VMLM publicly announced this was the rule going forward in order to facilitate such a grand finish.

They would be absolutely ripped to pieces. It's a can't win scenario for them.

• dave wood 4dave wood 4 ✭✭✭
    Funny really, when London Marathon started it was sold as an opportunity for anyone to crawl off their settee and take on a mammoth  challenge, in the early years as long as you finished you received a medal,ie Michael Watson, the guy in the diving suit,etc. Now it’s become so popular, and makes so much money the goalposts are moved, meaning,for me at least,it’s lost it’s fun factor,this year was my 15th, and last, it’s just not what it was and time to walk away before it gets any worse 🙁
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

before it gets any worse?

not sure it has ever been a race that encouraged people to crawl off their sofa? The diver and Michael Watson were very specific exceptions to the well publicised cut off rules, and no extended charity finishes have been allowed for several years now.

I'm happy to be part of an inclusive race - but London (and indeed any marathon city anywhere in the world) can only stay open for a certain amount of time. An 8 hour finish is already way more generous than most.

• If it's last finishers you want to see go to an Ironman event with the hard cut-off. 
    Last year in Austria they had a camera motorbike out on the last lap beaming footage of the last guy who could possibly beat the cutoff. 
    Every time he went past the finish he could hear the cheers. Poor guy made it but collapsed into the arms of medics straight away. 
    So much pressure on him to run. I swear he was the only guy to get faster on his last lap. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    There has to be a case for a minimum attainment of finishing a half marathon before gaining entry into the marathon.

Not in an "elitist" way,  I'm not saying you'd have to put a "fast" time in or anything, just that it seems a very reasonable step to stop people jumping in ludicrously at the full distance.

To have pacers for 7 and 7 1/2 hours does seem a strange idea, as that really is a get round job, not something you'd need to keep equal splits for. It's "company" rather than "pacing"

I wonder if any marathons in the country have a more generous cut off time than London? It'd be asking a hell of a lot for your average marathon crew to have to be out marshalling for 8 hours - before, during and after!

If you're taking that long - why not do a shorter distance? It'd still be an achievement - what's the obsession with the marathon?!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    From the Loch Ness Marathon website:

We welcome all runners to take part in the Loch Ness Marathon – we also have a few fast walkers! The Marathon begins at 10.00 and the course begins to close from 16.00 and if you think that you will take longer, we ask you to use the pavements at the side of the road. Safety support and water will be available along the route until 17.00.

Please note that it is not permissible to use walking poles on the Loch Ness Marathon course.

Also, please be aware that only runners who finish by 18.15 (8 hours and 15 minutes after the 10am start time) will receive a finish time in the official results.

The Event Organiser reserves the right to use their discretion to insist when runners get on the Sweep Bus which will be following the rear of the field. This will be on the grounds of safety of the participant or other road users.

Seems fair. And clear.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    what's the obsession with the marathon?!
    Why don't you give one a go yourself and find out?  ;)

Agree with your sentiments.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    There is a trail race near me (City to Sea, which is Exeter to Torquay) where the marathon cut off is 11hrs, but it caters for walkers as well so not really sure if that counts?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    HA77 said:
    Stevie G said:
    what's the obsession with the marathon?!
    Why don't you give one a go yourself and find out?  ;)

Agree with your sentiments.
    I've experienced a meltdown in a 10m and a half, I don't need to do a longer race for that "experience" :D
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    you understand that in the case of the full marathon, if you do not complete the first lap (approx 11.84 miles) in 2 hours 25 minutes you will be directed to the finish O – you understand that there is an overall limit of 6 hours for completing the course; after that limit (i.e. after 3.00 pm) anyone remaining on the course will be deemed to have withdrawn from the Race and the Organisers will accept no responsibility for them

This is from the Stratford mara which is a 2 loop course. Positively elitist compared to London! 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Abingdon says:
    "In order to meet the requirements for the race to go ahead, there is a 5–hour time limit for this event. If it looks as though you will be unable to complete the course within the stipulated cut–off time, you will be advised to stop and withdraw from the race at the discretion of the Race Director. Should you wish to continue, you will be advised that all marshalling and support personnel will be stood down once the 5–hour time limit has been reached. If you decide you cannot complete the course the sweep vehicle will return you to Tilsley Park. Should you wish to continue you do so at entirely your own risk. No results will be provided for any runner whose finishing time exceeds the 15–minute tolerance over the stipulated time limit of 5 hours. In any such event the Race Director’s decision is final".

Because of this, I know a few runners who say that Abingon is elitist!  It's not elitist though as although I've only done it once, it was friendly, welcoming, well organised etc.  It just happens to attract some quicker runners.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

There's nothing elitist about asking someone to be able to run at 12mm pace!

Though, given that I think the median chip time at London was 4hr25, the average time was possibly a fair bit closer to 5hrs I would guess. So perhaps on that analysis asking people to run sub 5.15 is not elitist but more only be open to average and better mara runners.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who is talking about cut offs over 5hours as being elitist, might want to go and put a 7-8 hour shift in marshalling.

See if they think it's harsh then!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't fancy marshalling a mara at a point after mile 20!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I've time kept a couple of times at the marathon point of one of my club's races, the Dartmoor Discovery Ultra.  There's a (strict!) 5:15 cut off at the marathon point, and it ranges from about 2:45 to 5:15 so it's not too bad in terms of time, and is actually a great way to see the event.  I've time kept twice there and have been very lucky with the weather both times - the weather can be very unpredictable on Dartmoor!  I know a fellow club mate (and occasional poster on here) was sweeper at the City to Sea marathon I mentioned previously and that didn't sound like a very good experience for her at all!  
  • rodeoflip said:

I just don't understand how the roads can re-open (with all of the attendant responsibilities of removing litter, cleaning the road, etc.) but anyone can regard the marathon as not having finished. This "grey area" needs to be addressed, and the race should finish before the roads re-open. Whether that means they try to extend the road closures for another hour or not I don't know, but the current situation means that some participants are always going to be on roads that are either being cleaned or open to the public to vehicles, not ideal for anyone really. I don't know the full circumstances of this pacer, and I wasn't there, but she knew before she started (based on her time), as did the people around her, that this would be the case. Some of her complaints don't make much sense.

Having said that, she was asked to pace at 7.5 hours, and that shouldn't have happened.

I wouldn't worry too much about the roads re-opening. The fact is they are going at what is literally pedestrian pace, so they can become pedestrians if they want their medal.

Nearly 43,000 people took part and 18 took over 8 hours.

Of course, they shouldn't get abuse, but fuck me if this hasn't been blown out of all proportion.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    LFSF - couldn't agree more. Just saying - rather than getting annoyed by how a very small minority were spoken to, better to not have them in this situation in the first place. It is a running race, and it can't go on forever. That's not being elitist, just pragmatic. 7 hour cut-off then roads re-open. Get on the bus or walk on open roads, but the marathon has finished and no medal / time / result.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Just watching the vitality 10k on tv having watched the mile yesterday. 

These events seem to have plenty of the razz attached to them. It's no vmlm of  course but these seem like excellent place for those taking 8 plus hours to finish a mara to get a similar buzz instead of the challenge of the mara  
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Snail2 said:
    That news was well-received on the mawkish Facebook page that's just dripping with entitlement.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    500 less ballot places for the rest of us.
  • Ian5 said:

Oh, I don't know.  A few hundred extra right at the back of the field can be added without affecting the capacity of the course, which is limited mainly by the numbers in the 3-6 hour range.  Maybe the organisers have realized they can give away a few hundred extra - it helps their quest to be able to claim to be the 'biggest' marathon.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:

Oh, I don't know.  A few hundred extra right at the back of the field can be added without affecting the capacity of the course, which is limited mainly by the numbers in the 3-6 hour range.  Maybe the organisers have realized they can give away a few hundred extra - it helps their quest to be able to claim to be the 'biggest' marathon.
    Yeah I suppose it can really,looks like they'll go for a longer cut off time next year to ensure theres no issues.I'm glad they've resolved it though.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    So is the cut off tine being extended to 9.5 hours or is the lady quited who run 9.11 going to get over sn hour faster? surely the same outcome will arise, albeit in a more fluffy manner if she cant beat the cut off? 
  • Any able-bodied person should be able to comfortably walk a marathon in 7 hours. Unless they are disabled, and being fat and lazy is not a disability!  
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Of course this is well-received, it's pandering to the people who want to say they took part in the marathon "experience" putting in the effort. I'm sorry, and I know this isn't PC, but maybe some of these people were called fat and slow because they were, well, fat and slow? Maybe even too fat and slow for a marathon? It's a running race!

9 hours 11 mins is ridiculous, and if VLM are now saying they'll delay the clean-up operation, that means one of two things:

(i) either they need to extend the road closure time (more disruption / cost)

(ii) they need to return the roads to the city uncleaned and then clean them up afterwards (maybe even more disruptive?)

FFS - if 9 hours is ok then what about 10? What if someone takes 11 hours and isn't happy afterwards, should further changes be made? The only changes that were needed were to tell everyone more explicitly when the cut-off time is, then enforce it. There could be lots of reasons for DNF, but if it's simply that you're not fit enough then perhaps you haven't earned the privilege to be there.

Me, I'm fat and slow compared to some people, and how I feel about that doesn't change the fact. But I would prefer London to adopt a fully GFA entry system as per Boston (yes, I know they have a small amount of charity places) - you know, gain entry on merit. But it won't happen as long as VLM's primary goal is to charity fundraising, and while they are so keen to be "inclusive" and PC at all costs.