Worst 10k resulting in collapsing

On Sunday I ran the Gear 10k in Kings Lynn. I've done a few 10ks before and have done a lot of training since October including a number of 10k runs.

I felt very prepared for Sunday's race and was really looking forward to it. I had a breakfast of porridge, had a banana about an hour before, coffee and then some jelly sweets just before I began.

The first two miles went fine, I was pleased with my pace. Then at 3 miles it all went wrong. I had to walk - I felt physically exhausted. From about 5k mark I began feeling a bit dizzy which gradually got worse. I had to walk quote a lot of times and made sure I had water when I got to the water stations.

From 8k I was really tingly and dizzy and still don't quite know how I finished. 

As soon as I crossed the line I collapsed into a marshall (always conscious) and ended up in the first aid booth hooked up to a drip.

I really can't put my finger on what happened. Weather was idea, I started of fairly fast but nothing more than I've done before. 

Whilst my time was still good (50:01) it left me feeling really deflated as I didn't enjoy the race at all.

Anyone else had a similar experience or have any idea what could have caused it. The paramedic and doctor said I was very grey and they were initially quite worried about me. An hour or so later I was exhausted but ok. 

Comments

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Impossible to tell over the internet - if you're worried you may need some blood tests to confirm.  Otherwise could be something like a virus which you didn't know about.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    I would go with JGav, virus or something which will be picked up by a blood test. No point self diagnosing see your pharmacist and they can advise on GP or not. 
  • sparkiosparkio ✭✭
    TT said:
    I would go with JGav, virus or something which will be picked up by a blood test. No point self diagnosing see your pharmacist and they can advise on GP or not. 

You think it's worth getting myself checked out rather than just putting it down to a random bad day?
  • How are you feeling now ?   That is really quite an extreme reaction to a run, so something is up.
    Do you do parkruns or any other races ?  How was the pace compared to training ? 
  • sparkiosparkio ✭✭
    @cougies stupider clone I'm ok but not 100%. I go to a running club once a week and we do a variety of runs, interval and speed training etc. My first 2 miles were about 7:30 pace which is quick but I've done that before so it wasn't stupidly quick. I haven't done a race for a while but run a couple of times each week and don't think anything I did was particularly different or unusual. 
    Going to go to the Dr tomorrow just to get checked over
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Good idea sparkio, most likely a bad race but might not be. Be really clear about your usual times, pace and recovery. Sometime I mention my pace and my GP has no ref point as he is not a runner. 
  • sparkiosparkio ✭✭
    I went to the GP this morning for a check up. They said they can't see anything to indicate what happened but the Dr thinks (reading the paramedic's notes) that it was hypoventilation. I have a problem with my nose and so I did use a nasal aid (SleepRight Breathe Aid Pack of 3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0076OIPZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_M5P0CbRNZ8N98) so that could have been a cause, although I have used it on one training 10k run.

That's all I can think of though. I've been given the all clear to run but told to just take it easy for a bit. 

The breathing aid is going in the bin!