Hip pain despite shaving stopped running

I am so frustrated and in need of some experience and advice.
I've always ran and while I'm not fast and I don't run exceptional distances, I've found myself with an injury I cannot shake. It's been ongoing since last September and what started off as a slightly sore hip after running has grown until even stairs are difficult, not to mention sitting. I've been to see a physio and he says it isn't bursitis as it's too high up. He says it's a muscle that has been overloaded but didn't say which. Just that it needs to be built back up. It's just below the jutting hip bone and is tender to touch. I've not ran for five weeks and last week I stopped walking on his advice. It got a little better but still persists. I've tried anti-inflammatories, stopped ALL exercising except some yoga and the side plank lifts he advised. Weirdly, I can do this easier on the good hip than on the other.
What I don't understand is why, even though I am following all the expert advice and not running or walking, I'm nine days on and the pain can still be as intense. Some days it isn't and some days it is. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I find that walking hurts when I stop and sitting hurts.
I know it's not exactly the end of the world but I do feel like I'm going out of my mind. GP wanted to inject my bursa... said I could refer to NHS physio (waiting time of four months) OR ask myself whether running was the appropriate sport for my body. I was devastated by that and nobody seems to get why. So I'm coming back to you guys. Surely someone out there knows what's going on?

(Wrongly posted this on the beginner's board earlier. Apologies.)

Comments

• Christine5Christine5 ✭✭✭
    Can you get to another physio sooner by any chance? I know it may cost you, rather than waiting on nhs, but could be worth for your own sanity levels. Not all diagnoses are straightforward. I had chronic hip pain on and off for a year, but nothing visible on an mri, and my physio couldn’t figure out a cause. It resolved itself maybe 6 months after I saw the physio (all that was suggested was hamstring stretches and these of course were helpful).

sorry you are going through this. It’s rough 
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hello, can you find a good sports physio? Many physics are really good, but for the population who are not runners. Are you a member of a running club? They may know someone. Local independent running shop? Humber Runner has a physio there on a Saturday. 
  • l81prl81pr ✭✭
    Thanks. The physio I'm seeing isn't the NHS one but one I've found at a sports clinic and recommended by runners I know, although he is not a runner himself. I think not being able to do any exercise at all is what's adding to my frustration. Everything, from cycling to walking just makes it feel so sore.