Step counter technology

I have a Garmin Forerunner 25 which has a step counter function, and I was wondering what the underlying technology was.

Is it simply that it registers each footfall?. It's just that I seem to do a lot fewer steps than others, so was wondering if I need to re-calibrate. However, if it does just register each footfall, there really wouldn't be any point in re-calibrating, as the number of steps registered will be (give or take) the actual number of steps taken. Also, it would mean that I am actually doing fewer steps than these other chaps I'm comparing with.

No big deal - just curious!

Comments

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Do you happen to walk pushing a pushchair or similar?  When I do, mine doesn't recognise steps.
  • Nope - just regular walking. Interesting about the buggy though - suggests there are other factors at play here.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Nope - just regular walking. Interesting about the buggy though - suggests there are other factors at play here.
    ???

If using a buggy your hands/wrists don't move in your normal walking motion. 

It is calculated from the movement of your wrist, it isn't detecting the movement of your feet. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    skotty said:
    Nope - just regular walking. Interesting about the buggy though - suggests there are other factors at play here.
    ???

If using a buggy your hands/wrists don't move in your normal walking motion. 

It is calculated from the movement of your wrist, it isn't detecting the movement of your feet. 
    Hip or pocket based step counters would be more accurate, however I don't want to carry anything else in my pocket.