Saturday 8th June 2019 - Shout! (Shout!) Count on me

HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in Training
Morning! Might as well start the thread before I hop off to bed.

Nighht HM went well, course PB of 1min and a few seconds. 1:38:46.  8th lady of around 150.  Conditions were a bit breezy otherwise ok. Got wet cycling home though.

More later.

Have a good weekend all, in particular LMH in Yeovil (+TR) and all othrr racers / parkrunners

What: short recovery planned
Why: get the HM crap out of the legs.
Last hard: the evil hill half way through the HM.
Last rest: 5.6.

Comments

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Great result, Hazel. Looking forward to the report.

Can't sleep again 😡 might as well get that 17 with 8@MP out of the way. Quite breezy here too so it will be effort rather than pace.

See you later :)
  • Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Why Worry - Dire Straits.

Well done Hazel. Hope you managed to get some sleep.

Have you tried any herbal sleepers chicksta? Or Melatonin? Hope your run went well.

Enjoy the race OH.

Number is packed TR. Not sure what time we'll arrive but I'll look out for you.

What:            short and easy
    Why:             leg stretch before travelling
    Last hard:     looking at the weather forecast for next week - waterproofs packed
    Last rest:      27/5

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

Well done hazel. Sounds like a good night.

Lmh have a good journey
    Chick hope the 17 go well. Sorry to hear you can't sleep again.

I was also struggling to sleep in this morning. Up at 5 which is early for me.

What: walk to town for hypnobirthing taster session
    Why: we are interested to learn more (and have been assured it is based on science and not hippie-ness, will reserve judgement for after the session)
    Last hard: my walk yesterday tired me out. Fell asleep yesterday afternoon!
    Lyrics: I don't think so unless they're the same as another shout shout sing...

Have a great day all
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Morning!

Sounds interesting, Emz!

Well done at the half, Hazel!

17 with 8 sounds tough, Chick!

Hope all goes to plan tomorrow LMH and TR and that you are done and dusted by midday!

What: parkrun plus a few ks

Why: a very good question. It is foul out there: wet and cold. Then helping at County Schools track and field. 

Hope the weather stays kind, OH, and  have a good day at the Crazy 30.

Lyrics: no
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

Hazel: Well done on half!

I hope all goes well and safe travelling LMH and TR :)

Alehouse: Enjoy your parkrun and hope weather picks up

Chick best of luck with that!!I need aa lie down just thinking about it!

What 7.5 miles
    Why: Because I could
    Last hard:the cold and wet weather
    Lyrics:Nope

All went well one really slow mile the rest at expected pace nice to get back to hilly route:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Sounds positive,  poppy.

Hope you had a good time at parkrun, ale.

Interested to hear more about that, em. Sounds much better than an epidural.

LMH: I tried a few herbal things and teas but nothing seems to work, sadly. I hope it gets better once I'm through with this menopausal nonsense.

Tummy issues cut my run down to 7.5 :( a bit annoyed but nothing much to be done about it. Was feeling a bit iffy when I started and hoped it would settle but it only got worse and in the end I had to dash to make it home to the bathroom. Didn't dare to go out again after that.

Everything is fine now, of course. Typical. Still don't think I can be bothered to go out again. A bit pressed for time tomorrow but I may give it another shot then.
  • I think there is some good evidence for its effectiveness emzap - will be interesting to hear what you make of it.

Sorry to hear about the stomach issues chicksta - unfortunately I have been experiencing the same since London, just hoping that the measures I’m taking will ensure it behaves tomorrow but I’m not confident if I’m honest.

Nice miles Poppy.

Hope parkrun wasn’t to wet Alehouse- we drove through some pretty awful weather.

Safely in our home for the week overlooking Brixham harbour- hope the weather is better than forecast.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Wishing you all the best for tomorrow LMH. I really, really hope your measures work and you have an awesome run🤞

Very rare for me to have problems like that. I must admit that things have been a bit iffy since my norovirus episode. May have to consult my doc if it continues to cause trouble.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Afternoon!

It continues to rain...

Was wet for parkrun warm-up but a couple of minutes before the off the rain stopped; started again before I had got back to the car afterwards. Has yet to stop. Will have not have been much fun at the village fair this afternoon. 

What: parkrun, with 2k before and 2k after. Couldn't get Garmin to switch on so ran to feel. Took the first km easy as I didn't intend to run too hard (9 degrees but the forecast gave a feel-like temperature of 4...I would say around 6 or 7). First km was 5 minutes (I asked someone) and then I gradually upped the pace, with no-one passing me from before 2km. Happy with a fairly effortless 23:47. 

Why: don't do parkrun hard! Progressive tempo if there is such a thing!

Then on to assist at T&F; inside fortunately. 

Glad to hear that you have landed, LMH! We will be thinking of you tomorrow! You have done the training: think positive thoughts, banish negative ideas and visualise your success!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Seems several had issues with the sleeping last night - I couldn't for ages last grrr - nice listening to the dawn chorus though.  

Hope OH had a good race.  

Nasty weather in the UK today.

Bad luck on the stomach issues Chicksta.  Not pleasant.  

Glad to hear you arrived well LMH.  And I hope you get decent conditions tomorrow and as well for your holidays.  Good luck again!

Have a good Sunday everyone.

Race report from yesterday - bit of a waffle sorry:

I went to the event village with almost 2 hours before the start of the race as I was expecting queues for collecting the start number, baggage drop, T-shirt collection, toiletting etc. As is was I didn't have to queue anywhere and I was grateful for the open sports hall to stay warm between handing over my drop bag and the start of the HM as it was a bit chilly to be standing around in just lightweight shorts and a vest and I didn't fancy getting wet when it started to rain for a while.  I went out to watch the start of the 100km at 10 pm and then did a warm up of 2.5 km including jogging and some strides before the race start at 10.30 pm.

I positioned myself within the front third of the starter field which turned out to be about right – I wasn't encouraged to set off too fast but didn't block those behind me either. I did however get tripped and shoved at the start – I took considerable delight in overtaking and leaving the culprit behind at around the 10 miles mark.

The first almost 8km involve diverse laps around Biel city centre with some tight corners – congestion eased almost immediately on the wide roads though and I was able to settle into a steady rhythm and very consistent at around 4:35/km. That was a faster than my original race plan of 4:45 but I felt good and wasn't overly concerned other than about the coming hill.

The first 10k were done in around 45:20ish and almost immediately afterwards we were faced by the hill – a 2.3km climb of around 100m that took the stuffing out of me last year. I coped with it better this year, just kept plodding on at a sustainable effort level. Charging back down the other side was maybe a mistake as both quads and hamstrings were pretty angry by the bottom and it was a struggle to get back to a sustainable pace – now on the wrong side of 4:40/km and tending towards marathon pace. This was made more difficult by dark stretches, a lively headwind and reaching the back end of the 100k and ultra marathon runners meaning lots of weaving around. Additionally the first few relay teams who had started at 11pm were ploughing through the whole lot of us. I didn't have anyone around me running at a similar pace to hang on to and was either overtaking or being overtaken. Although I was beginning to struggle physically I felt in good shape mentally and was able to keep the effort up high – counting down the last few km and the sight of another lady to chase down helped to distract me in particular over the last mile as was the increase in spectator support as we approached the town of Aarberg for the finish. Over the covered wooden bridge and to the finish I was surprised to get a shout out from a team mate and her OH who had turned out to watch. 

I took a couple of minutes to recover then quick chat with them before the 10 minute walk to get changed for the 9k cycle home. It was a bit strange to be trundling along dark country roads in the middle of the night. I got rained on a bit but it wasn't cold so I didn't really care. Home at around 1.30am, took an hour to wind down but then couldn't sleep for ages – I suspect that the sports drink we were given at the finish had something in it.

The conditions were ideal other than the wind.  

I drank water on 2 occasions – at around 7km and around 14km, taking short walk breaks to drink as cups were provided. I did carry a gel but didn't feel a need for it, I usually don't in HMs.

Result: 1:38:46, 8th lady and 2nd in my age group. No prizes unfortunately as these were awarded to the first 3 overall only. That time would have been a new HM PB by a few seconds a few weeks ago and was a course PB by 1 min and 4 seconds so a pleasing result. 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great report and sounds like a special race, Hazel! 
  • Another Dirty 30 completed (8h52)
    Pretty warm and sunny initially, but welcome rain from mile 22
    Why: dunno but we've entered Glenogle 33 in November.
    Last hard: that was
    Last rest: yesterday

Lyrics no

2 comical falls today
    1. Left foot got stuck in deep mud through the forest. Rest of body kept going -  into mud up to waist!
    2. Coming down from col along technical contouring path, tripped on stone, ending up sliding down side of hill on my bum.

All the best for tomorrow LMH
    Well done Hazel and good report.

Chinese do Caesarian sections under acupuncture. (Just saying, Emzap)
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sounds tough but also sounds like you enjoyed your day, OH! Well done!