Need advice

hello all, I haven’t posted in years. I used to run regularly but I’ve never been fast. I always previously mixed it with other exercise. I had a major operation 18 months ago and have struggled to get back into exercising.

i have now managed to run 3 times a week for the last 6 weeks and it’s going okay. I have been running about 3 miles at a pace of around 12.5/13 minute miles.

what I am struggling with is the speed. I know you will all tell me that I shouldn’t worry about this, but I can’t help getting frustrated how slow I am! Recently a friend of mine who doesn’t like running and doesn’t care about running did a 10K in 1hr 2 mins. This Saturday another friend who never exercises, drinks a lot and smokes did a park run in 30mins! I can’t help getting a bit fed up, thinking why can’t I do that!

Anyway, I am determined to persevere and not let this get the better of me! My aim is to get to be able to do a 10 minute mile.

Any advice on how I best get there??

Comments

• I know how frustrating it can feel but you are right - you shouldn't be worrying about your pace, if you build the miles slowly and run easy the pace will come.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I agree with LMH! I have had far too much experience over the years of coming back from injury but it is true, if you build the miles the pace (and weight!) will come down!

I did very little running last year until September but from then I have managed to run consistently at a deliberate slow pace. I gradually increased the volume per week but never by more than 5 or 6%. No speed work for the first six months or so, and even then it has been minimal. parkrun is now around 6 minutes faster than it was, and I am a stone lighter than this time last year, which makes a big difference! I have a cut back week every four or five weeks to both give the body a rest and also to ensure that I don't get carried away. Also I have done more stretching and strengthening than I have done for the last 35 years (now 65!) and that is playing a big part I'm sure.

Remember: consistent consistency, and ideally progressive consistent consistency.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.