Comrades 2020

Comments

• Nice sign lowrez!
    Terry well I shall appreciate having a chance to start Munich at least. Have run v v little last week - 1 39" parkrun - but things are looking better re chances of us going to Munich ... Famous last words. (Another family member has been v v unwell but seems to have turned a corner the last day or 2).
    Baldstan also the harbour tour is good for the day after the race as is sitting down & there is a LOT of harbour!
    LLR as everyone here knows I like to put in a good word for the Malta marathon - end of Feb in the southern Med, net downhill, huge medal, and has a HM and a walking HM for spouses/spices/buddies to do.
    PS also recommend the War Rooms in the cliffs by Valetta.
  • lowrez - I plan on qualifying at Paris, although I have a 100 miler in Feb that might do it?
  • baldstan said:
    Southern Snail glad to hear it's definitely not 153 miles, NDW100 is going to be my first 100 next year (actually I'm a little bit worried about those extra 3 miles, not to mention all the steps which I've been warned about).

Steps? I didn't know there were steps. Are there lots of them?
    I've not done the stretch after Detling, but apparently there are quite a few through the woods there. Not helped by the fact they come after over 80 miles and probably well into the night. Can think of a couple of others earlier on as well, but they won't be on such tired legs.
    Fido2Dogs, I've staying on the Monday so planning to do the harbour tour then as you suggest.
    Dubai Runner, no problem with dust on my long run yesterday, not only was it pouring with rain in south London, but I didn't check the tides and found myself running along a flooded Thames Path. At least it was only my feet that got wet. Someone in Richmond had parked down by the river not realising the road there gets submerged at very high tides.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Well tomorrow is the day for the announcement of the 'Entry Process'. The reserved pool of places for Novices, who have to qualify before they can book a slot I think is one change.  For those that have done it before I assume the date for opening of entries will be announced. 

I'm still struggling with running - 2 weekends ago I struggled to an 1+ hour 10km but managed a 52 minute 10 km last weekend.  Then the following day I had to be picked up on my long run.  In 9 months I might be alright.

Anyway my son's Parkrun '10' T-shirt finally arrived 10 months after being ordered.  10 Parkrun T-shirt are not issued here in SA so he will be fairly unique.  He was eligible as he was registered at Newbury as his home Parkrun when he got up to his 10.  I didn't notice the email until is said 'your very last chance to claim your Parkrun T-shirt'

• Thanks for the good wishes, things went ok in Berlin although my lack of long runs since Comrades caught up with me after 32k. Finished just under 3:22 in the lashing rain. Really enjoyed my first visit to Hasenheide parkrun on the Saturday morning, met a gentleman handing out Comrades t-shirts, stickers & even a tie!

Btw this wasn't a qualifier as I'm sticking to my plan to next run Comrades in 2021, just have to be determined for the next month or so :smile:
  • Watching the launch, hope they give the details soon as I've got to go out .
  • So 28 October entries open.
  • Howdy doody. I kind of gave up on Runners World forums for a while because I got so fed up with wading through all the adverts to read anything. However, looks like it’s time to come back - I’ll sit down with a coffee at some point and read back. 

I’m planning to be poised at my keyboard on the 28th to get back for my ‘half green’ - if all goes well Loch Ness should be my qualifier on Sunday.
  • Hi Running Rodent. Good luck for Loch Ness and hope you get good weather for it.
    Hopefully I'll have a qualifying time by the 28th, but good to see that the requirement for Novices to pre-qualify before they can enter seems to have been dropped and the bit about international runners needing a letter from their national federation only applies to those who could win a prize (I think I'm safe there). Just need to work out what I need to do about complying with ASA Rule 9, which seems to be that officials must wear blue pants or skirts. I have neither but could probably borrow some if it was strictly necessary, though I wasn't planning on doing any officiating...
  • If it is pants how would they check...
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    What we call trousers, South Africans call pants🤣
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    @Running Rodent:  half green huh?   Well, technically half green is just a darker shade of green in the digital world of colour ;)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    On the banks of Loch Ness its troosers
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    RR we discovered if you click "flag" in the bottom line of any post, and choose "spam"... if 5 different users do that... the post evaporates... so a band of revolutionaries took an odyssey across the forums and did some cleaning... it took a while but the place is pretty spick and span now... it wasn't "the management" it was a few dedicated users that cleaned up the town. Since then offenders tend to be pounced upon and eradicated relatively swiftly, it appears our activity has put them off.
  • 28 October marked in my diary. The livestream suggested that entries would go in 4 days?!

Got myself a last minute entry for Chester so hoping  to bump into Lowrez and McH.
  • Will look out for you at Chester Slow Duck!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Yo SD! See you on "the bridge", its a really nice bridge, I usually get me own alcove:-

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Good luck SD and McH at Chester. It really is a good course for fast times, even with that a nasty little hill after you see lowrez and one near the end. Speed bumps compared to Comrades though!!! I followed one of the pace groups last year who were spot on.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    McH and SD - I hope you have picked up on the start and finish changes at Chester due to the inclement weather!

I was mighty pleased to see the weather for Chester was a partially cloud sunny day with a max of 27C for Sunday, glad the "VA" after the word Chester attracted my attention though, here is the real forecast:-
  • Good luck for Chester, that's very accurate weather reporting, 39% chance not 40%!! 

Haven't been out in the rain since February!!
  • McH and SD - good luck for tomorrows marathon
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Hello all, 

It's been awhile - still gets me this race.  And yes still thinking about 2021.

Dubai - Katmandu is a mad, mad place, esp in the 'hills' around. I didn't realise how high up it was - awesome trails.

Debra - it was me who said hello today. I expect to see you run off in the distance tomorrow. 
  • Good luck to everyone running Chester and Loch Ness in the morning. Hope you all get the times you're after.
  • It was lovely to see McH and Lowrez at Chester today, thanks for the encouragement lowrez, hopefully I haven’t made the injury worse I walked so much in the later stages, your hug definitely helped though 😊
  • Great to see PotterMiss, SlowDuck and other Comrades caps at the start of this year’s Chester marathon, and massive Thanks to Lowrez, his support out there and having a personalised sign with my name on was awesome. At 4h58, it wasn’t a qualifier for me (but as I’m moving I can’t go anyway, so that’s not a problem:-) )
  • Had a decent, rather hilly run at Isle of Wight marathon. Finished in 4:13:54, so safe for F pen - now need to aim for D pen. Bonus 1st VF50. Hope everyone enjoyed Chester etc.🙂
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    pottermiss - sorry I didn't have your name on my sign, I will have to extend it into a 3 sided pyramid! I hope the leg recovers OK. Where are you running next? I will turn up for the hug alone :blush: I think Slow Duck must have aced it easily; I only just caught him at mile 23 after leaving the bridge at 16 miles bang on 12pm. Great run McH; shows you are on qualifying form, can't you get a pass-out to come to Comrades?
    Great picture Debra, you are wiping the floor with your age group opposition.
    We need RR to report in, can't wring anything out of the Loch Ness website, they've moved it on to 2020 already and the results only go up to 2018!
  • McHilly/Slow Duck/Pottermiss - well done to you all at Chester marathon today. Obviously top supporting Lowrez

Debra - well done. You definitely are grabbing lots of firsts out there recently

I had a half marathon today and got myself a shiny new pb from 6 years ago so I was very happy. 2hrs 31 seconds so still no sub 2 :/ but I'll take that
  • Well done Debra and SS, 1st V50 and 6year PBS are awesome!
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Impressive stuff Debra and SS.  Good progress towards a qualifying time McH.  Hope others running marathons this weekend had good runs.

With the cancellation of the Leicester Marathon, which I was supposed to be marshalling, I took advantage of the clear day to do my last long run before Poznan.  22 miles in the bag.  The marathon organisers had kindly offered those who had entered a virtual run option, so lots were doing 13.1 and 26.2 mile runs to earn finishers medals.  As I had only been due to marshall that option wasn't available and marshalls only get a tshirt anyway but at least I didn't need to do virtual marshalling, standing on a corner for several hours, clapping, pointing and telling random strangers that they were looking strong and almost there.