Comrades 2020

Comments

• Hi everyone. I'm hoping to enter the Comrades 2020. How quickly does it sell out? and is it best to stay up in Pietermaritzburg the night before race day?
  • Hi Gary, welcome! It used to take 2 months to sell out but the last couple of years it got a lot faster!
  • Debra - you're doing Comrades and NDW100 aren't you? And presumably lots of other things :)
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Gary.  Like Debra says, it's not likely to sell out right away but I wouldn't leave it too long.  I've never stayed in Pietermaritzburg.  There are early morning buses that go up there (tickets are purchased at the Expo) from Durban and although this means a little less sleep it's not like anyone sleeps that well on Comrades morning (except MrK, if he's reading). 
  • Snail: NDW50, Viking 100, Comrades, NDW100 are my big ones for next year (so far). No doubt a variety of others. Maybe back up to Leicestershire for Boston Marathon again.
    I'm seriously thinking about getting some coaching to help me improve my speed without (hopefully) getting injured: I'd like to go sub 10 hours at Comrades, sub 24 for a 100 miler. Anyone got any recommendations? I need a coach who will work with me, accepting that I'm running several big races, not just one - I don't really think that the Coach Parry training would work, as it's geared to Comrades alone?
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good Debra, I would have thought that one of the Centurion coaches would be a better fit for you, especially given the races you are doing.  I've heard good feedback from those who have used them.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hi Gary, at the Comrades 2020 launch event a few days back the race director predicted the places would sell out within 3 days. If you are serious about entering I would be at my PC on 28th ready to enter :)

A lot goes on in Durban in the days around the run as its got more of a city culture about it rather than a town, eg parkrun, breakfasts, pre-runs, evening gatherings, pre and post race beers, and, thousands will be busing it up to PM early on race morning. But, a good few do stay in PM the night before too. If you are an international then no doubt you will be flying in and out of Durban; I've always stayed in Durban. Of course in 2020 you are effectively running back to your hotel if you stay in Durban.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

SS I had a good go at them post 2018 by e-mail after that shocking post race survey came out asking what goods I would like to be added to the on-line store and asking zilch about the race itself. I highlighted the shocking situation of running into the back of a pack of stalled and bottlenecked runners several times in pitch black darkness. They acknowledged my mithering so I'm expecting them to have improved things substantially for 2020.

So this means you must be contemplating making an entry then? :D

• Gary - welcome to the mad house

1owrez said:

So this means you must be contemplating making an entry then? :D

So... I knew you'd pick up on that!!! To be honest I most definitely wasn't. But the email came in just after we'd eaten dinner last night and Mr SS asked if I was doing it and pointing out we weren't going to Singapore to see my son next year and blah blah. So then it got me thinking :o  But I've got a lot planned and the NDW100 is definitely my "A" race. I'm honestly not sure I'm capable of doing Comrades on top or if I actually want to. Perhaps I should just come and spectate.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Oh wow :o SS - it would be amazing if you could be there :) a nice gentle 12 hour down run would be perfect supportive training for your other events!

• Debra - Wow, so you have a 50, a 100 and Comrades all within a month! Not to mention another 100 and various others you'll add on.
  • 1owrez said:
    Oh wow :o SS - it would be amazing if you could be there :) a nice gentle 12 hour down run would be perfect supportive training for your other events!

I'm ignoring you :)
  • Thanks all. Pre and post race beers sound good! Is there a particular hotel the Brits stay at?
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Lots are at the Hilton or Belaire Suites and Onomo is a new one that is popular.  A few pages back there will be a list of where we are all staying.  
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Gary. Best race you will ever run :)

And debra, you are right, don't think coach parry would approve of your schedule ;)
    I though have decided to do something fairly radical for me and decided after this years comrades that i would follow his schedule and ideas and see what occurs. I am 17 weeks in and feel like i am getting stronger and quicker with less effort expended. I am also running to HR and before each session i run, i am finding i am more rested than i have ever been. People at my running club mock me for going way too slow though!!!! I wont cave and will see how far this approach can take me......

Mac - thanks for the best wishes re Saturday. The weather doesn't look all that good. The cakes i have lined up in my kitchen certainly do :)

Maybe see you Saturday Debra, might be wearing red Comrades hat depending on weather. Will definitely be wearing my pack with Comrades patch on back though. And probably aiming at about 5 hour or thereabouts...
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    That training sounds good Marty, I hope it works.  Good luck for Beachy and to others running that.  Hang on to your hats.
  • Marty, is this his pay for programme? 
  • Hi Gary I'm a newbie as well, I'm booked into the Protea 
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Dubai, yes, he was offering a cheaper deal straight after comrades so decided it worth a punt. It's just for a year though. I am finding it useful since it provides me training paces i should be running, an email each day telling me what i should do and access to Lindsey via his forum to ask any questions. It's actually made me fall back in love with running again (not that i had fallen out of love), but just given me a new emphasis to focus on.
  • Debra - good luck at your 2 marathons this weekend.

McHilly - Good luck at Snowdonia

And Marty - have an absolute blast at your 100th marathon. Enjoy.

• Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Snail: NDW50 and Comrades are easily far enough apart. Viking 100 in the middle... was moved from earlier in the year... I'm a little worried, but Viking is almost flat - just enough undulation to give some obvious places to walk on each lap. I've recovered very well this year after long races - absolutely fine only a few days after Samphire 100.
    Marty: Weather-dependant I will have a Comrades cap on as well - red/white or possibly green/white. Hopefully we will see each other. I finished Beachy in 4:48 last year, so we may well see each other out on the course.
    Marty: interesting what you say about the Coach Parry training. Am I correct, though, about it being less suitable for someone like me who has multiple goal races, not just Comrades?
    Snail: thanks! Glad Cyclopark is quite flat.
  • Marty, thanks I'll have a look
  • Debra, SlowDuck had a coach to get him through WS100 etc, see what he thought.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good luck all this weekend!

I am slightly worried at a nagging outer left thigh hamstringy thing that nags and gets a bit worse if I run on it and following day exhibits, not catastrophic symptoms when I walk, but, definitely mirrors the leg crash I had at Comrades this year. Its like I can't fully extend the leg to take the next step without some mild discomfort. Its not as bad as a limp, but is preying on my mind nevertheless. Seeing the Phys again on Wednesday; she did ask after leg symptoms last time I saw her 3 weeks ago, but, I had not really run with a vengeance up till then. I am hoping she will put my mind at rest and give me some more exercises to counter this. I don't want to get in to a cycle of hurt-stretch-run-hurt-stretch-run unless it is definitely therapeutic to cycle like that in terms of building up the muscles and improving things.

Enjoy the cake Marty, hope the run goes well and yo have a great 100th :)

Psst - SS - don't look here!
  • Good luck lowrez, hope it's only temporary
  • F2D: yes, hoping for input from Slow Duck.
    Lowrez, here's hoping the physio can get you through this!
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    I'm entering by post again as I am a Permanent Resident and can, according to ASA rule, enter as a SA National.  I'm paying on the day and posting it off the same day by registered post.  Otherwise I have to take the foreign  option if I go through the online payment.

I just wish I didn't have to do so much work and had more time for running.

• Marty had a quick look, his program is on offer for $97 till 8 Nov 
  • Debra, McHilly and Marty hope you all had good runs today, and it wasn't too windy (certainly blustery here in south London). Congratulations on your 100th Marty. Hope the thought of all those cakes helped get you over the bumpy bit at the end.
    lowrez, hope some exercises and stretching do the trick and it's just your hamstrings getting used to running again.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks Stan, did a 5 miler yesterday, having rested for 2 days, and the nagging soreness was still there, did some extra stretching post run focusing on that area and today has not exhibited the same symptoms, so I am hoping I have got it under control. Planning 10 miles or so tomorrow, so we will see!

Went to a talk by Nicky Spinks tonight, wow! Amazingly accomplished ultra runner.