Options

Comrades 2020

Comments

• Options
    Well done Debra. It's definitely coming together for you.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    My flight from Manchester to London with BA has been cancelled, and that's all they've said! What? Where's me money? And what about the rest of the flights on that booking that I now can't get to that easily, irrespective of being locked down?
  • Options
    Just completed a survey from UTMB Mont Blanc, they are using the survey findings to base their decision, within reason, on May 20th. Found it rather professional and shows upmost respect for the runners, to have valued their opinions. Think more races should adopt this strategy, including Comrades of course.
  • Options
    Lowrez - when was that flight. I know you were doing an extended holiday but surely that flight is still in June. Had thought they were maybe doing it by months. Not exactly the most expensive part of your flights  :)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    11th June SS, daahhn ta Laandaahhn caanectin taah a flaaght ta  I forget now, was it to Joburg or Durban direct, irrespective feels like they have stolen from me
  • Options
    DubairunnerDubairunner ✭✭✭
    Bike it, enjoy getting the freedom to run, makes you appreciate it. We have to wear a mask as well but I’ve been using a buff, was glad of it yesterday as a dust storm whipped up out of nowhere. We still have a curfew 2200-0600.

I’m still waiting for my refund from Hilton Cape Town and Hilton Durban have cancelled my booking. Kenyan just won’t reply to my request for a refund after cancelling my flight and just sent the voucher. Had Kulula booked Joburg to Durban, think I booked flexible business so should get a refund hopefully.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Martin says you are defo entitled your money back but you will need to pursue 'em. Most are making it dead easy to get a voucher instead which of course they would prefer you did and it will ultimately help keep 'em afloat and their employees in jobs, so, punk, are you feeling altruistic
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    I had a flight on BA (for the Ironman) that as soon as it was covered by the SA restrictions BA refunded it straight away.   Guess we just wait and see although I would just use a voucher for next year.

As for Comrades this year versus cancellation … the half IM that was the week before Comrades and I was waiting for the new date as well has confirmed the new date as 6 June 2021.  Not a good Omen!!

SD - Enjoyed your Twitter banter with Camille this week 
  • Options
    I have BA flights to London in August, I’m kinda hoping they cancel and refund my money. Not sure I want to go to the UK at the minute. 

I cannot see Comrades happening this year, or any other major sporting events.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    The latest word I got - from a pretty decent source - is that international flights to SA will not resume before November.  Of course, things are fluid - but some of their decision making is absurd to say the least.  Apparently you can now go shopping for winter clothing, but not underwear.
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    PeterR - I was gobsmacked that she replied!

I guess even if Comrades does go ahead this year, for internationals there will be  additional complications... availability of flights, quarantine rules... maybe even needing letter again! (from a doctor this time?)
  • Options
    And last but not least, who even wants to stand tightly packed next to that many people?

Someone mentioned the ridgeway challenge (86miles) has been cancelled mid August. From what I could see from previous results there is only about 40/50 entrants. Is that right? Why has such a small event cancelled so far ahead?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I once joined Twitter years ago because some event promised me a pin badge if I did, I was dismayed to realise the pin badge was "virtual" - it looked so damned good I wanted the metal version and to pin it on my lapel. I was shocked at how easy it was to delete my account though; kudos to them on that front. How do people keep all these things going; E-mail, bulletin boards, Twitter, Instagram, Strava, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Rooster Teeth... hmm I feel a Comrades virtual map coming on!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I think earlier BA refunds were a no brainer for them, until they realised how much cash they would haemorrhage if they kept doing that. I am thinking I'll take the voucher, can't be bothered wasting a Sunday queueing on a telephonic device.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    So if my pants wear out I can replace them with a pair of earmuffs?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Frilliant finish fy MadFax in Fruitland to frab a Fobert Mtshali. I can feel the fairs on the back of his feck fizzing as he fprinted into the ftadium with the frowd freaming for feveryone to fet fver the fine. Must have feen a freat felief when he faw the flock and that he had fime to fake it!

Ftill 2 feople out on fourse, fupdate next.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Fike It is fabsolutely ftorming fome, 14 files to go, will he fteal first flace from Fark or will Kiwis Hill flow fim fown? FAR is fapproaching the foutskirts of Durbanana fis a Fobert falready fout of feach? Fail fiting ftuff!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Some great bilage but in this beek with a beap of binishers boming home in Bandland. Bbaldstan ban a blinder to bake birst blace with a Bbill Rowan. Barty must be brying his byes out baving bissed out by a bisker on a Bobert but Bbecca must be boppositely bleased baving bnatched a Bbronze. Blow Duck bontinues his bastounding bascent, bover 8000ft this beek, he and Bac are the only ones with benough bascent not to be bit by the badjusting calculation.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Bbike It bontinues to bocket along, BAR is at the base of In-Chumbawaamba, BadMax is about to blimb Cranberries Hill and Bi'm on the boutskirts of Duran Durban bossibly boing to break beleven bours!

Bonce bagain bime bas blipped baway brom be bo I bill bupdate Bonsterland bomorrow! Bust bet bome bleep!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Announcing the map for Cheeseland for this coming week!

• Options
    Lowrez, where do you get your ideas? Trying to decipher your posts after night shift is keeping my mind active. Though need to sleep but when I wake up the temperature will be in the 40s so prob a no run day. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Two munners home already in Monsterland mith a mouple of Moberts. Mell mone Mebra and Meter! Moth mompetitors mignificantly master mhan mast meek my muttin in mots of mascent, mut Mebra is metting master on the mround moo!
  • Options
    Lowrez - am confused on all your races. Is it band land cheese land or monster land at the moment :)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ha ha - your confused? Erm... the current course is probably Monsterland and I am just putting everyone on the map, or I suppose you could say its Cheeseland as that went live today, but I am not planning on plotting anyone on it until next Sunday - although that is tending to be Monday as I have so many maps in play - but that is fine, I don't want to abandon anyone - Bike It and JAR are still running through Fruitland at the moment!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Mere me mo Mnail! You are 10k moutside Rodan; mooks mike mou have mabout an mour of munning meft. Mike It has mattled mast the Troll mand mis mon Mittle Trollys. McMilly mis minding her meet again, mafter her moldrums. MAR is meing mattacked my a 50ft woman (mucky MAR!). Mi'm min mo man's mand. Mmax mis mlimbing mover In-Chupacabra - match mim Mmax me mites! Mubai mis matting Mothra maway from maround mis mears. MeterHDM mis mapproaching the mop of Flys Hill. Then mhere mis a mamut of munners munning over Marea minto Rodan, Slow Muck and Mmac have not meen menalised by the mascent malclation this meek they are major mlimbers!.
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
  • Options
    Wow! So who told them?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow! I've been keeping my Comrades charity, Community Chest, up to date on and off with progress as we count down the virtual clock to who knows when, thought they would be as entertained by us. Then this bloke rings me on Friday advising he has a deadline to publish by the end of the day and we had a grand old chat - ha ha - he got 98% of it right too. I had a look around the web on Saturday but thought it had hit the cutting room floor when I found nothing - well located SD :D
  • Options
    Well done Lowrez. Fame :)
  • Options
    Saw that article this morning as well, indeed fame at last Lowrez.