Options

Comrades 2020

Comments

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    That's really great lowrez. Perhaps you will get an elite entry on the start line due to your popularity?
  • Options
    JARJAR ✭✭
    ..I think someone's lost the plot. How far do I need to go back to make sense of what is going on ? :D

Lowrez, saw the story...absolutely hilarious. Well done on keeping morale up.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks everybody! Good to see you look in JAR! Hope I haven't peaked with Bandworld, although the names that came out of Fruitland had me cracking up, it is becoming increasingly challenging to find good word matches under whatever stones I upturn. Monsterland has some good ones, and, whilst all the cheeses do actually exist I think they won't be overly familiar to most and therefore a bit meaningless; its still a race though and that's what counts. Currently searching for better quality fodder! Onwards - might drop the New York Times a line - ha ha!
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Congratulations 1owrez, the least you deserve! Meanwhile I'm still trying to work out whether I should be dodging monsters, or looking forward to cheese (mmmm, cheese)...
  • Options
    PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    You've also got a mention on the official comrades marathon Facebook page Lowrez!
  • Options
    Yay - BA have just cancelled my flight to South Africa. But... you have to actually call them if you want a refund. The call is automated, then you get a speech about longer waiting times as they've reduced their staff to keep them safe, then they disconnect the call.... :'(
  • Options
    DubairunnerDubairunner ✭✭✭
    SS, been through the same thing with Kenyan.
  • Options
    I'll be patient. No rush, but..... Ive no idea what to do when the situation remains the same for weeks. Mmmm we'll see.

Dubai - So have you actually got anywhere with Kenyan yet or are you still waiting?
  • Options
    DubairunnerDubairunner ✭✭✭
    SS, got a voucher very easily but for refund, ringing and email and web chat and getting nowhere 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yep, that's what I was saying earlier SS - and today they've cancelled my Joburg to London return - seems a bit piecemeal - I'm still fling in to SA from London and from Durban to Joburg but I'm not being transited Manchester to London or Joburg to London - why don't they just cancel my whole trip?

So, you can go on their website and accept the voucher - they are making that dead easy - irrespective of the law that says you are entitled to your money back they are not putting much effort behind making that a reality. You'll probably be redialling until your flight departs trying to talk to someone and get the dosh back.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up SD, I'll go and have a patter on facebook, not paying it much attention, I did go on and post the article on my own stream a couple of days ago though - saw you gave it a like :D
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Sorry PeterHDM (not SD) I'm going cross-eyed with names - which FB group is that - I browse UK and Ireland from time to time but can't see anything on that?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hang on - found it off the main Comrades site - ha ha - Canadian bloke is criticising me for carrying a "mock semi-automatic" - so if he can see it is "mock" what's his problem - always realised there was a risk of that - but its Geroge's problem not mine - he invented them!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ooo! Thanks for liking it Debra!
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Lowrez you are also on the Comrades Twitter feed.
    Was reading the paper yesterday and there was a story in the states of a girl who was walking around in a similar costume to yours, with a toy gun and was arrested.
    BA haven't contacted me regarding my flights, I was direct to Durban from London the week before Comrades.  Will sit tight for the time being.
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yep, BA have cancelled my Jo’burg - Heathrow flight too but not the other 3...

...perhaps they are trying to get me to accept vouchers prior to a full cancellation...

Obviously if they cancel my first flight that triggers a refund so they are working backwards?

...so they might cancel my Durban-Jo’burg flight next?
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    At least BA are recognising some realities.
    I'm booked with Egyptair to Joburg on 2nd June.  They have cancelled and rescheduled a later end June flight to Hurghada within the whole itinerary - but not yet 2 June's flight!  They are either hoping for a miracle or more likely just delaying the inevitable refund request by a few more weeks.  I imagine they will also push for vouchers rather than refunds - which I'll definitely not opt for.  No future flights are at all likely to fit my future plans.

Lowrez, well done on all that recognition you've been receiving!

• Options
    SD - strange how they're going about it. All mine were cancelled in one go, including the Jo'burg to Durban and back which are run by Comair I think.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    With respect to flights, if they're on SAA they likely will not exist even if they have not cancelled - the airline is in bankruptcy.
  • Options
    Is SAA the same as Comair? To be honest its the long haul flights I want my money back for although having booked through BA, they were all lumped in. To be honest I haven't tried again. I figure they'll be loads of people trying. Will wait.
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    SS, Comair is not part of SAA at all.  It's an independent airline which partners with BA in South Africa.  That's why your booking with BA included a Comair leg. Comair has just recently been placed in 'business rescue'. (one step short of liquidation).
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Thanks SS, Terry48 and everyone for all the information on the flights. I've just had the email from BA cancelling my flight out to Cape Town, but not the connecting flight (on Comair) to Durban or the return flights. Still undecided about whether to take the voucher or try to get a refund. Not sure how long it's going to take for me to feel safe flying again. Meanwhile still training for the NDW100 in August, and maybe amongst the merry few looking forward to the cold front arriving on Sunday just in time for my long run.
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    My running club (White Horse Harriers)  is hosting a social event that I thought you might be interested in...
    We have a zoom chat/ discussion with Courtney Dauwalter arranged for 8pm uk time on Friday 15th, as it’s online we have been advised we are welcome to invite other running pals who might be interested (no cost). If you’d like to join us you need to register on the following link 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/courtney-dauwalter-hosted-by-white-horse-harriers-tickets-104564416986?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-source=strongmail&utm-term=listing

I’m not 100% sure how this works, eg as you’ve registered will you get sent the Zoom link, or if I will need to forward it to people I’ve extended the invite to (so if you register, if you also msg me, I will make sure you get the Zoom info)

About Courtney Dauwalter

Currently one of the top ultra runners in the world, Courtney Dauwalter will talk to WHH about her running, races, training and life and lots of stories on the way.

This is a massive deal! Courtney is the equivalent to Mo on the track in the world of ultra running. Overall winner of the Moab 240 (yes 240 miles) in 2017, female winner of the Western states in 2018 with the second fastest time ever and competitor and winner of numerous other races Courtney is witty, humble and a lovely human. There will be plenty of chance for questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Dauwalter

Check out podcast interviews with Courtney on 'Joe Rogan' and 'Bad Boy Running' - note these podcasts do contain bad language.

Also video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQSiygnDm-U documenting her source of motivation

• Options
    McHilly - booked! Thanks you. And that's my entertainment sorted for tomorrow's strngth session as well (I've found listening to podcasts really, really helpful to stop strength training from being so boring).
  • Options
    PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the invite mc hilly! I've registered too, loved watching a documentary about her running western states.
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    McH - thank you. I’ve registered too.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    OMG Courtney is my absolutely favourite runner (after you of course :)), registered and a half McH, thanks so much for posting this, received a confirmation e-mail but not absolutely sure what to click to attend.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Did a 5 miler to celebrate VE Day
  • Options
    ... ditto on not being able to see anything to click to join, alas.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Went back to the registration page and noticed it said how to join will be advised by email closer to the event