Comrades 2020

Comments

• baldstan: thanks for those navigation warnings. Note: if you reach a road and you can see the finger going back where you've just been, but can't see one for where you're going, look carefully just over the road slightly right and left and you might spot where you're going - there's one spot particularly, near the village ofSeale, where the sign over the road is not easy to see because it's hidden by hedge, but it's really only maybe 10 ft to one side. (If you find yourself going INTO Seale, you've missed the route).
    Re. colours, I think yellow is footpath (pedestrians only), blue is bridleway (cycles and horse riding allowed) and red is byway (vehicles allowed as well).
  • Who has entered the virtual and who is doing what? 
  • Entered! Opted for 45K, to use for another NDW recce run - this time Knockholt Pound to Detling - which is more like 50K, but I can always stop the watch at 45K then restart it.
  • Wish NDW was on my doorstep Debra
  • Mark A: NDW is not quite on my doorstep, but I can drive to Knockholt Pound in about 30 minutes, or run to NDW via the Vanguard Way in a couple of hours.
    It's being so far from the Lakes that I really miss - I grew up in Manchester, with the Lake District only 90 minutes drive away -  or an hour and a half for the North Lakes.
  • 30 mins is close enough, I travel 25 to play squash several times a week (or I did!) Home got me is 50 mins from Ullswater, 15 Yorkshire Dales, 30 York Moors, Northumberland 1hr, but my favourite is upper Teesdale. I love the hills, sadly Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire have only mole hills haha
  • I spent six years based in Cambridge (at least during University term times) - fairly flat, yes. Although I wasn't a runner back then, and I did notice what hills there were when I was cycling.
  • Debra/Baldstan - Thanks for the information on the signs. I have also ordered the Harvey book. 

Baldstan - which part are you doing on 14th? Think you said you were doing an out and back?

Mark - I'm doing the same as Debra 45K from Knockholt Pound to Detling as well but got further to drive on that one.

Think it's 32 miles Debra according to Centurian website.
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Snail: Yes, definitely over the 45K, but what's a few miles extra?! And I'll only have the one long run at the weekend, not two as I had this time.
    Useful info from Traviss, who has done NDW100 twice. First, regarding navigation:
    "The last 15 of NDW100 is barely worthy of a recce to be honest as its more or less a straight line that goes on forever… however the Detling – Hollingbourne bit well worth a look as when you’re there you’re going to be super tired, both times I did NDW100 I got lost along there somewhere, still no idea how, just missed a left or a right somewhere."
    And second, regarding vegetation:
    "The back end of NDW100 can be awfully overgrown in places and because the trail so gnarly, not widely used… so gets overgrown. If it works out I’d be inclined to recce the Detling onwards bit as late as possible… in 2012 it was horrible, stingers, brambles etc… 2014, not so bad… so think it varies from year to year…"

I'll add that I got nettled on Sunday within the first two miles east of Knockholt Pound. Traviss said that, due to the nettles, he really regretted shorts from Detling onwards in 2012. I always carry my Montane windproof trousers (weigh almost nothing, easy to pull on over shoes, and great if the temperature drops during the night), so I will have the option of putting those on. Maybe we should start a campaign for all NDW100 runners to recce that section in the last couple of weeks before the race, carrying secateurs and doing some trimming back!
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    I’m still ummming and aaahing about which distance to go for... I also like the idea of doing it on the North Downs Way but am wondering how to negotiate Boxhill which was super silly busy a few weekends ago...

Managed to get through to BA yesterday. As they had cancelled all 4 flights it was really easy arranging the refund.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez - thanks for the continuing entertainment, Sir Spamalot, and for the info on TO, I guess one ocean does not have quite the same appeal.  I know you want to go back there again some day.  Welcome to join for some wine tasting!
    Mark - I'm in for the full. I'm lacking long long run endurance but compared with my fitness a year ago there is no comparison. I see 9,000+ entries now.

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I've gone for the 45k option. I'm planning on starting at 5.30am after having listened to shosholoza and chariots of fire on youtube :)
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    I finally committed, just signed up for the full.  Will get up very early and accept its going to take a long time.

Question for the forum, after June 14th do we start the Comrades 2021 chat and move over?
  • Mac3 only the 2 of us foolish enough? The starting music sounds good. 530 not so good, but then that is better than 430 as Terry suggested (as that is SA time) haha
  • Ah Peter, another one daft enough but we may as well get our money’s worth right! This time tomorrow a year ago I was making my way to the railway station en route to Durban! 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    You need to get up at 2:30am in order to have a decent breakfast and then get the coach to the start, having a collection amongst everyone at the toll plaza as the driver won't have any money, then you will have to bail out of the bus half a mile from the start because he will get stuck in traffic with the start time closing in, you will need to panically sprint that half mile as your hear the strains of Shosholoza weaving through the already warming morning and then climb up and over the pen barriers when you arrive as the doors will already have been shut.

Peter I think we definitely stick with tradition and report in here with our finish times then decamp to a new thread, would you like the honour of making it on June 15th?
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    I'm the same time zone as SA, so complying with Terry's suggestion of a 04:30 GMT start!  Will also do the You Tube thing and dash to my starting point afterwards.  It's just a few seconds (where time real stands still) before the Max Trimborn's cock crow.  I need one of those toy guns with a 'Bang' drop down to signify the start to avoid scaring the neigbours.  At least we shall be there in spirit.  Glad you signed up for the full Mark / Peter (I thought you might after your last comment).  I'm expecting Slow Duck too!  He must be in good shape for it.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Mac I am here giggling so hard I can hardly tuoe or type as it should properly be written I am off to an auction site to find one of those guns!
  • I will have to play Shosholoza and Chariots of Fire not-too-loudly in the car before setting off!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Mark, Peter and Mac3 good luck on doing the full, I still think I'll go with the 21K, and then I'll probably spend the rest of the time working out how to upload my time from my Garmin.
    Debra, from what I saw I'd agree with everything Traviss said about the Detling to Hollingbourne stretch. The nettles and brambles weren't too bad last weekend, but they were starting to encroach on the path. There's also a section there, where you come through a gate and there's no clear path ahead, just a load of sheep trods heading off in different directions. Luckily someone had hung a lost red jacket over a post on the far side of the field so I headed for that, and when I got there it turned out that post was the NDW sign. I think for NDW100 we can have drop bags at Knockholt Pound and at Detling, so following your suggestion Debra, I might think of putting windproof trousers in that if the path is going to be overgrown.
    Southern Snail, I'm not sure whether I'll go down to the NDW on the 14th, but I do still need to fill in the gap between Cuxton and Detling, so if I get up early enough I might do that stretch. This Saturday I plan on parking in Guildford and doing an out and back to Farnham, then out and back to Newlands Corner, using my car as an aid station in the middle.
  • PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    I've entered the 45km.  I notice they don't ask for your address so I'm assuming they will ask for that after the challenge!   I got an email via Expedia that BA cancelled my flights a few days ago, and Expedia processed my refund without me doing anything  . So all good.  Need to plan myself a route for the 45km!
  • Interesting info about the brambles etc Will I be ok on 14th from Knockholt Pound to Detling in my shorts. I haven't recced any of this route. Is it really an idea to do some of it after Detling? I'm going to keep my watch running for the full 32 miles as one race.

Slow Duck - You'll be at Boxhill fairly early so maybe won't be as busy?

Peter R - well done on signing up. You're definitely fit enough for the distance.

Lowrez - It's a down year. 2.30 is way too late to be getting up for breakfast :):)

Baldstan - sounds like a good plan

The guns, shosholoza and chariots of fire all sound like a great idea. Need to get organised.

Great idea to give our race reports and move on to 2021 :)
  • Race numbers through, just been to the Expo to collect haha 
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I’ve gone for the half (45k) not yet planned route, but will be from my door, also planning chariots of Fire, shosholoza just before a 5:30am start
  • Snail: you might want to carry some form of lightweight long legwear with you, so you have the option of donning it.
    Not sure whether to stop and restart watch or what.
    Nice that we get to use our Comrades race numbers for this.
    I don't think I'll be wearing any of my Comrades shirts for the run as I've noticed tops get chewed up by backpacks - might have one in the car to put on for a photo at the end. I will, of course, be wearing a Comrades cap during the run.

• McHilly - well done on signing up.

Debra - ok will do. I'll be wearing my orange 2017 Comrades top. But if you start before me, unless I cheat and put wings on, I don't think I'll see you.!!

Got my number too. Not sure how to print though. From computer I can't separate it from whatever else is on the page and from my phone it says something about not recognising the page and won't do it. Mmm. I hate having to work out technical things!
  • Snail: what time are you aiming to set off from Knockholt Pound? For the number - on your computer, take a screen shot just of the number/part you want and paste into a Word document, then print that?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    SS here is some jargon; if you have snipping tool on your PC you could cut a jpeg out of it on your screen when you open it up and print that, of course I am talking windowspranto there and not applese
  • Snail: also, you said you have ordered the NDW BOOK? I have the maps - although I now see there is a single Harvey's map for the whole NDW, rather than the previous two. (£13 and then 15% off on Centurion shop).
    NOTE: there's a suggested diversion a mile or so after Knockholt Pound, to avoid running along the edge of a road with no pavement. I read the notice AFTER I had had the unpleasant experience of running along the road. Message me your email address and I'll send it to you so you can have a look in advance - I photographed it.