Comrades 2020

Comments

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    @Lowrez - I've not thought about Two Oceans yet - it's a tempting idea to be sure.  I need to visit my Mom in CT, so.....

SA will not reopen to international tourism until Feb/Mar , so who knows what will happen with the race anyway.  

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Signs here Dannirr that all the delayed events may be cancelled, eg London, it is starting to look like staging preparations can't be committed to because of continuing uncertainties. Thinking of popping down the betting shop and placing a bet on all bets being off!

Saw you put in an 8 miler the other day, are things improving? Have you entered the virtual version? Looks like you could suffer at least 10k?

When you mention the SA timescales it is scary, they are still only estimates based on a fair wind of things settling down, it could all unravel and go longer jeapordising next year's events too!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Anyone seen what the medal and T-shirt look like yet?
  • Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Debra - It's the Harvey map I bought but will pm you my email. Thanks. Unfortunately I can't do anything with Microsoft Word as I need to purchase a key to get into it.

Lowrez - You're talking dirty again  :)

Yes was just working out this morning that London is 4 month away, so they ought to cancel it now so nobody bothers starting a training plan. It's just not going to happen.
  • 1owrez said:
    SD - its gotta be 3rd time lucky with aldenteblackpoolcandy its gotta be coming your way after the spirits got you in in the first place and all the hard work you have put in... what a challenge though if it has brought you to the door of the Barkleyesque Plains :)

Mac, you have me drooling at the thought of a wine tour post coupleofseas I have unfinished business there - wonder if Dannirr has his eye on it too? I need to visit this sign (I've been given a sign he said holding up a discarded sandal)

Just been checking in to see how things are going for everyone. Looks like plans are well advanced for virtual Comrades. Lowrez, here's me and Mrs MadMax the day after last years race (6 am-ish flight to Cape Town & on the tour minibus for 10 am!). Don't quite know how I managed to climb up there now  :D, I think it was a bit of a struggle!
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Cool pic Max, Fantastic.

And SS, my email contained an attachment as well which was the number itself.
  • Thanks Marty. I got the number, just couldn't print it. Debra has sorted has sorted everything out for me. (Thanks again Debra :))
  • Snail, you're very welcome.
    If anyone else wants it, I have the directions and map showing the little diversion just east of Knockholt Pound, to avoid running down a bit of road with no pavement. I can provide as a JPG, Word document with the JPG embedded, or PDF.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Debra, can I have a JPG with the PDF embedded and fries please :D
    Max, superb picture :D
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Max - nice photo.

Debra - was the tap at St Martha’s church working? If so where is it located? I’m thinking about doing 90km on the Dorking - Farnham stretch of the NDW...

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Apologies Everyone - not been keeping up here as my left arm has been KILLING ME.  Screaming pain that kept me from many things, but particularly sleeping and running.  I finally relented and went to the physio and after 1 session things are drastically improved.  Basically overuse injury from doing too much physical activity at the farm.

I'm not entered for the Virtual Race as I can't run at the moment - probably the 21km.  Does this count for a Green Number? - won't think so.....

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you Bike It, glad the physio has calmed things down. Hope you recover well, will switch you out of the virtual lands for now; your disciples will be agahst at losing you for now but no doubt will enter a into a furore upon your inevitable resurrection!

That's so hardcore SD doing 90km on a single tap!
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Slow Duck. So you'll go out-and-back (plus a bit)? Yes, the tap at St Martha's church was working. As you reach the church, go round the SOUTH side (the side closer to the edge of the hill) - the right if you're heading eastwards, the left if you're heading to Farnham, and about half way round there's a little gate - go in through the gate and up to the church. The tap is a press tap, quite close to the ground on the building, with a bowl for dogs below it - I was just able to get my 500ml soft bottle under the tap to fill without it dangling into the dog water bowl.
    (The one at St Katherine's Church, Merstham, the tap is a more elevated standpipe, just to your left as you are about to leave the churchyard.)
    Max: that -is- a nice photo.
    Bike It: sympathies! Take care of yourself.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Debra - thank you. I’ll go and give it a try this weekend to make sure I can refill.
  • Slow Duck, you're welcome - I had no idea where it was on Saturday. I was lucky to bump into two other runners (I was just behind them, walking up the hill) also doing a virtual event, who -did- know where it was. Apologies that I didn't take better mental notes for passing on the info.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Caaaadif haaaaalf postponed from October to Maaaaarch - o-o first domino has fallen!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    And I've just seen the NDW50 has now been postponed a second time, I think. Now on 28th November. Keeping my fingers crossed for the NDW100, but sorry for everyone who was preparing for the 50 in July.
  • Thats a shame. Debra was doing that. Doesn't surprise me though. I just don't see how we can go from groups of 6 to 250 even spaced out in 4 weeks. Wonder when we'll know about the 100

Lowrez - still surprised London hasn't fallen yet. It will do though!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    In theory London will officially yak next on 21st June SS. Got a lot of first timers in the charity bag exasperated already though at getting hopes and fears together for April, then refocusing on October and now worried that 2020 is dead. So do they have any legitimate right to expect they will be allowed to run in 2021 as they think that's a completely different event from 2020 and all bets will be off. I am trying to get them to stay positive though, London have a fair slice of our money, they "owe" us a marathon. Charity is staying positive too, its not new ground to them, we are their marathon gang come what may, forward we go to follow our spirit, and upon this charge cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    lower - yes, slowly getting there - I'm in for the virtual 10k.  You got a list going yet?

I think all events are off - including my annual London to Brighton car race.

Max - great pic
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I love it when you talk listy to me Dannirr:-

Race The Comrades Legends

Sunday, 14 June 2020 at 00:00am (12 midnight) and finish at 23:59pm on the actual race date in your time zone

Route & Distance - Anywhere! Find the course of your choice and run your favourite route. Whether it be on your property, a treadmill or on public roads.

Shosholoza
    Chariots of Fire
    Max Trimborn
    Gun

90km - Comrades Legends Ultra
    Mac3
    MARK A ALDERSON
    Peter R
    Slow Duck

45km - Half Comrades Legends Ultra
    Debra Bourne
    Mc Hilly
    Southern Snail
    PeterDHM
    marty74

21.1km - Comrades Legends Half Marathon
    Becca7
    baldstan
    Bike It
    1owrez

10km – Comrades Legends Sprint
    Dannirr

5km - Couch-2-Comrades Legends Fun Run
    Daughter of 1owrez
    Son of 1owrez
  • Morning all, just checked the Comrades site, didn't realize we had to pay for this virtual run. Haven't signed up, yet...

Put my claim in with Kulula, don't know if I'll see my money again.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    I recall the earlier communications said it was free to all 2020 entrants but later clarified as free to SA based only.  Good luck with your claim.
    @ Lowrez, I see from the start list JAR is in for the half.
  • Got the email re. NDW50 yesterday. Not a total surprise, but still a cause for regret. Have to focus on NDW100 and subsequent events. And discuss with my coach, and admit I signed up for another couple of virtual SVN races, because the Tolkien Run medals are so gorgeous.
    I have two clubmates seriously considering the 45K for 14th.
  • Lowrez: thank you for compiling the list!

And one of my clubmates has now signed up for the 45K - it will be her first ultra, and she's South African originally, so super-excited to be part of this.
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Hellooooo from the dark side! 

I have not run for months (excepting a trial 2x3 mins which just made the plantar fasciitis flare up so I didn't do THAT again). But today not only did I hear that the physio is opening up again (appointments will involve a lot of masks, ppe etc) but Lowrez pinged me & told me about the virtual race. Thanks Lowrez!

So given I used to walk about half of Comrades anyway  I have signed up for the 5k (I can still walk ok, certainly up to about 5 miles) to represent THE THOROUGHLY BENCHED.

It has been an odd time - my Dad died recently (not Covid) and getting out (albeit on 2 wheels) has helped me get my head around everything. I have been cycling to all the spring race locations and gazing mournfully at empty playing fields etc where normally there would be hordes of lightly dressed people and a crepes van!

Have only one race not yet cancelled which is the Oxford half in the autumn - if that's all postponed until next year it may be a blessing given my running situation. We shall see.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hello F2D :) I do love a woman from the dark side!
    So sorry to hear about your Dad, I hope you are OK.
    Running, nay walking, has always been a great friend to me in times of trouble, I can tell that, and your bike, comfort you similarly.
    I am going to update the list soon and will add in walking, everyone has 24 hours with no other cut-offs to complete their chosen distances.
    We need your indomitable list compiling to remind us of what it'll take to get us through up to 90km on the big day, and this time self supported!

Help us F2D, you're our only hope!
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Fido - sorry to hear about your dad. Take care.

And thanks for the list lowrez. Now it FEELS like Comrades time!!!

I've signed my Mum up for the 5k so I shall be walking with her once I'm back from my run. She is really excited and loves watching and following me each year. She now has her own number as well, that I assume wont expire for another three years!!!!
  • F2D: sympathies for the loss of your father. It's not easy. Glad you're joining us for the Comrades event, even if you have to walk it at the moment.
    Entry list has reached 15,500. I've definitely persuaded two clubmates to run it.
    Presently also considering the Lakeland 50/100 mile cumulative for July 20-26, and the Centurion One Up event...