Comrades 2020

Comments

• Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    ... okay! That would have totally passed me by (and I'm Mancunian in origin, but don't support either team).
    lowrez: what did you do about the 2018 blue Comrades shirt? Ask for a women's purply-pink one instead? (I ordered a men's small, so I got the blue, thankfully).
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Having also grown up close to were Lowrez lives and being a red too ( or was when I cared about these things), I think the Comrades T is an acceptable shade of blue - and much more acceptable than the Comrades UK t shirt a few years ago which was red with bits of black and white. I never wore it after someone thought I was a red from the other place! Would much rather be accidentally considered a blue :-)
  • Another one here that lived in Lowrez's area and a red too. And as McHilly says "or when I cared about these things!"
  • And the teams in question are???
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Red? blue?  is there a difference?  
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Let that be your last battlefield

• Okay, I've looked it up online - are you talking Liverpool vs Everton?
  • Snail. Ah. (Is there an Emoji for 'going totally over my head'???!!!)
  • lowrez: as in 'I'm totally innocent (ignorant!) about this?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    That's the closest RW offer Debra, let's see if anything from my phone will render... 🤔... 🙄... 😲... 😵... 🙈🙉🙊... 🤷... 👯... 🤸... 🍢... 🌋... ☃️... 📡... 🇿🇦...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi peeps - Community Chest just let me know that they are trying to get up to the 500 mark for declared Benefit Partner on the virtual run. You are making no commitment to collect or do anything by selecting this, but CC will get a larger slice of the general charity pot if they succeed, could I ask that if you happen to log-on that you adjust your setting to COMMUNITY CHEST PIETERMARITZBURG as you pass through if you aren't trying to achieve similar for any other cause - ta! :)

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    one more from me Lowrez!  I have Mrs Mac3, Daughter of and friend of too so I'll ask them which will be another +3.  Was going to say you'll never walk alone, but I know you would not appreciate that!  Keep munching the toffees.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Mrs SD has upgraded to a half marathon walk...

lowrez - I’ve already signed up with Hillcrest AIDS because they were 50 short and they’re a good bunch of people too...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good work SD, making an entry count is the main thing :)
    Mac, no mints for me! Definitely using Gerry as a Pacemaker on Sunday :)
    Let me know distances and I will add your entourage in :)
  • Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Lowrez - have added community chest as my charity
  • Good luck all for Sunday, I haven’t entered. 
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Lowrez - have added them to my entry as well
  • lowrez: I'm already with Wildlands - here's hoping they each make the 500.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I've not checked in for a while.  Good to see so much activity for Comrades day.
    Lowrez, I'm in for the 10km and have happily nominated Community Chest.  That is a very worthy charity - I supported them with fundraising for my CC place in 2015.

Have a great run on Sunday everyone.  We should have been having our Friday dinner gathering in Durban tonight.  I'm really missing it.

My 10k is going to be quite a challenge.  I hope to 'run' (v. slowly) the first 5k and expect to run/walk the 2nd 5k.  I'll then be providing some limited cycling support to Mark Alderson on some of the loops within his 90k  plan.
  • Terry - glad to hear you're running Sunday. Mr SS and I were just saying that we should have been having dinner with you guys tonight!!

Have just entered Mr SS for the 10k regardless as to whether I can download a result for him. Community Chest also Lowrez.

Good luck to everyone on Sunday, especially those going for the full 90k. Am really looking forward to it now (or maybe I'm just looking forward to actually having dinner with somebody as well as Mr SS for the first time in 3 months!!!) Whatever.....bring it on  :)
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    I got reminders for the flights this week and it would have been great to meet up this evening with the Park Run tomorrow, countdown soon for next year. 
    Terry - what about run/walk the 1st 5k and see what's in the tank for the second.  Given my lack of very long runs, I'm doing this Sunday also as a way to keep the speed in check.  At least the early start will be light and quite warm.
    Lowrez - the team Mac3 are 5k'ers.
  • Missing this evening's meet up! Here's hoping for next year.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Terry, great to hear from you and good luck for Sunday!  It seems odd being here knowing  that planned to be with all of you, but am really looking forward to Sunday And hope that everyone posts updates during the day to day how they’ve got on. 
    Lowrez, I think you posted a while back about having an open Vimeo? Meeting so we could all just drop in and chat whenever we wanted, which is a great idea... just wondered if it’s worth suggesting a time? I like the flexibility of anytime, but could easily drop in and no one else be there, if it’s anytime but with a suggested window maybe a better chance of us bumping in to each other ?
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip off about changing the beneficiary lowrez, I normally donate to Hillcrest AIDS so I've chosen them.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow, wow, wow everyone, thanks for supporting the Race4Charity and pushing up CCPMB's chances - the term "amazeballs" comes to mind - ha ha!

Dashing to Manchester today in a Cumming's style flaunt of the rules to get my daughter's stuff as she abandons her flat... I'm testing my eyes! So may not look in here too often today, it will also no doubt stretch muscles I don't even know I have and cause more groaning than usual on my 21.1k tomorrow. 
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Two more for the CCPMB Lowrez.

Good luck today and don't strain anything ;)
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Anyone else been carbo loading?  I don't need much excuse, even just for my 10k plod. 🎂🍺😀 And, I've been tapering for months!

Have a good one everybody. Imagine 2C or 3C at the start in Maritzburg tomorrow.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    No carbo loading Terry - but a 4 week taper (I've run about 6km in that time)

I've just entered the 21km - I will change the details Lowrez as you suggest. 

It was -6C at the farm last night - the pipes were frozen, as like the vast majority of South African houses, we have no heating.  I'm at the house in town today with the air-con on 'heat'.  I will not be setting off at 5:30 for sure.

Best wishes for enjoying your virtual Comrades runs tomorrow