Comrades 2020

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Well all I can say about the above is its a complete pile of b*ll*cks (that's what kicked Bike It on the knee). At that rate I would be through half way in 5:43, bags of time to smash it home within another 6:17. Granted my normal game plan would be to get half way in 5:20, but I've been there in 6:09 and still made it.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    To get your own analysis just bang your race number on the end of this after the "=" sign

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Great job everyone.  SD - being out there for 14 hours unsupported is astonishing!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Well done SD. Sounds like you're already in good shape for The Plain 100 if you're setting 50 mile records unsupported.
    After all your warnings about the lack of signposts on the NDW Debra I really think I need to go back and fill in the gaps between Knockholt and Detling which I haven't recce'd yet. It's bad enough going the wrong way on a recce, but I really don't want to do it when I'm tired in the middle of the night.
    Thanks for the link 1owrez, I hadn't worked out where to find it. I think they've got a problem of sample size distorting their predictions though. They may have the results of thousands of races over 30 years, but how many of them have been run in a Darth Vader mask? That and of course they don't allow for the extra boost that comes from being swept along by the atmosphere of Comrades.
    Still the odd rogue result (a sub 2 hour 45K, really) showing, but generally the system seems to have been sorted out so that would suggest they could certainly think about hosting another virtual race next year.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that easy to use link lowrez.  It seems my DNF would have taken me 18 hours🤣
  • An absolute massive well done to everyone whatever the distance.

Baldstan - must have been great seeing all those Comrades runners

Lowrez - I have to say that as I was reading back just now I was actually wondering why you were commenting on people and not out there running, so, yes you're right , If I'd known I would have told you to get on and stop procrastinating!! Great to speak to you on Jitsii last night and helping get Mr SS's time up.

Slow Duck - congratulations on the 50 mile pb. Being further along the same route as you, I think thats amazing.

Well I set off just after 7.30 and couldn't actually find the North Downs Way so was actually lost for the first 10 mins!!! (and a lot more later!) The first time I went wrong after that was at 3 miles and so the day continued in the same vein  :) The signposts on the trail weren't toooo bad but pretty non existent on any road. I've never run with reading glasses in one hand and map in the other and constantly taking google maps out!! At one point I was so far north of where I needed to be. Anyway after 8h 18, I finally made it to the "finish" line to find my support crew (my sister) and Debra and her husband. Actually ran 34.1 miles in the end

Debra - Great to catch up yesterday. Feel free to put up the picture of us at the finish line. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I have yet to find anyone who did less than 90k (and therfore has an absolute sub 12 hour result) who hasn't dnf'd on this calculator, eg if someone did a 2:10 half marathon... what would you expect in terms of a predicted result... not a DNF?

So how fast would they need to have run a half to make it over the line? The bar is simply too high.
  • lowrez, I'm not going to even look at mine! Seriously, I spent two hours standing still (a bit taking phots and chatting with people, but mostly map reading). So my time was ridiculously slow.
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    That suggests that over three quarters of women and more than two thirds of all the runners who did the half marathon have been told they would have DNF'ed. Not exactly encouraging people to give the full Comrades a go. I guess they're suggesting something like a 2:05 half marathon as being equivalent to making the 12 hour cut off.
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The age-handicap thing is interesting and confusing...
    baldstan you are totally correct.
    Really happy that the two people I encouraged from my club both completed their 45K and are both delighted to have done so. Their first ultramarathons and now they are wondering what they could do if they actually -trained- for an ultra! I am looking forward to watching them progress to 50K and beyond.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Found the 10k limit...

• Well done everyone, fantastic efforts!
  • The Race The Comrades Legends, morning humidity of Costa Rica @95% and afternoon heat of SA 27.5c at 17:15 by 40 time to get a 🍺 😂 🥵 🇿🇦

After 2 hours plus of stopping to chat to a wonderful support team and being persuaded to have a beer every few miles I decided after 7hrs of TOF and 40 miles the time was right to have that cold beer, and a few more, and leave something in the bag for Comrades 2021 Down Run and looking to add a silver to the collection! So after a few beers and a freezing cold shower I was just about feeling normal again, dare say 3 hours previously I was far from normal, but this morning tip top again, I think?

Sorry didn't check in yesterday or the chat (that I'd suggested too) I was too buggered last night without doubt a bit of sunstroke, 17c at 11pm outside but put the heating on and had two bowls of ice cream!

Well done to everyone what ever and where ever you ran, yesterday I really did feel the spirit of Comrades! Right what's next to focus on Lowrez?

• That performance link I can't seem to get it to work, where is the original URL found?

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hi Mark, amazing run - sounds akin to that 400m lap race where you down a can every lap :D maybe we can develop a Comrades variation on that theme. Says you smashed it mate :)

https://live.ultimate.dk/uploads/racethelegends/index.php?eventid=4973&pid=22453

• hahah Lowrez, funny enough was chatting about the Medoc Marathon last night, and one in the South Downs, then got on to what you have just said, I reckon I could sprint one lap, down one beer, jog the next 400, run in every lane but the one I should be in on the 3rd, and not sure about the 4th!

See GNR and Manchester both down the pan, London by Sunday!

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    On a slightly brighter note, just heard from the Belaire that I should be getting a full refund shortly as they're on lockdown. Hope others are getting the same message.
  • Stan, I’ve been waiting 3 months for the Hilton Cape Town to refund, they say as they’re in lockdown they can’t process my refund. Cancelled the Premier Inn county hall in London last week and got my money back in 2 days!

Next to try and cancel are tickets with BA to Heathrow in August. 
  • baldstan, Dubai: good luck getting your refunds sorted.
    Can anyone remember when we need to start looking to book the Belaire Suites for next June???
    Here's me and Snail after finishing (I'd had time to take my backpack off and so on).

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Super photo - but surely that was taken at the start - you are lookin amazingly cool!

And you're just being modest Debra - I bet you ran all the way with no back pack etc
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    That's weird, I went to add to the discussion on 2021 and it wouldn't accept my comment.  Now it says discussion not valid.  
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Damn - I think I broke it - made an edit and the thing went into an approval basket and won't come out until some Vanilla folks release it - this happens every once in a while and they never come back from there! Think I will have to re-make it! Here I go... ha ha... can I remember what I writ?
  • why why not just change the title of this forum to 2021, at least can refer back to posts if required? 
  • Peter R: you beat me to it!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Anything on here can only be edited within the first hour of creation Mark, so not technically achievable, but besides that tradition dictates we make a new one each year, we've done that going all the way back to 1921 :D 
  • Haha
    we’ve not seen any of your imaginary masterpieces for some time now? 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    For now here's a non-imaginary effort, ha ha - I better not be a perfectionist this time...

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/349472/comrades-2021

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Nope - I lied, it really doesn't like me now... going to log off and back on again, failing that someone else could try something less historic and wordy - ha ha - here I go...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Nope, every time I try posting a new thread it goes in the approval bin.

Here are my perfected words if anyone else wanted to pick up the baton - although I'm not precious about them being used...

On Tuesday, 24th May 1921 the first Comrades Marathon was staged. It was a down run from Pietermaritzburg to Durban. 47 entries, 34 starters, 16 finishers.

No one knew what would happen to those pioneering souls during the course of that day as they proceeded down the hill and out of sight. The first leader crossing the bridge over the Umsinduzi River was Butcher Purcell followed by Harry Phillips and Bill Rowan.

Leaving the city a dusty sand road meandered over the hills and through the valleys all the way to Durban. Purcell, Phillips and Rowan were still together at Cato Ridge, but, by the foot of Inchanga, Purcell had fallen two minutes behind. As the two leaders left Drummond, Rowan went into the lead.

Through Gillitts and Pinetown followed by a convoy of bicycles, motorcycles and cars Rowan increased the distance between himself and Phillips who was plagued by a persistent knee injury.

Covered in brown suffocating dust, but undeterred, Rowan finally strode down West Street at the head of the convoy to the finish line outside the City Hall. His time was 8h 59m.

On Sunday, 13th June 2021, the centenary year, the 95th Comrades Marathon will be a down run.

Time to get your running shoes on folks!