Hitting the wall?

I have recently started doing half marathons (not the longest of distances) and seem to hit the wall around the same point each time. I was keeping a nice pace and then within the last few kilometers I suddenly felt that I couldn't run anymore. My muscles weren't aching, I just felt like I ran out of steam.

Is this "the wall"?

Do you think this is down to fuelling up leading up to the race?

I'm still quite the newbie and have not made any changes to my diet since I started training. On the day of the race I have a large bowl of porridge and crack on with it.

I've heard people say to carb load leading up to the race, etc but haven't a clue about that kind of thing.

Does anyone have any advice in relation to this or can point me in the right direction to what I should be doing leading up to a race?

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It won't be the wall, you'd need to be running longer distances to experience that.

But it's either because you haven't trained enough or are just running too fast for the distance on race day.

You shouldn't need to carbo load for a half marathon, just make sure you've eaten well and are well hydrated.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    As Shades says it may well be the pace you're running or just not enough training. There could also be race day nerves and a lack of confidence in your ability to get round. The last 4 HMs I've done I've pretty well suffered the same thing, got to the 10 or 11 mile stage and have just blown up. Looking back I can see reasons for that for each of them. 
    1. I'd done all the training and had my best training run two weeks before, but I'd been working hard and was just exhausted by the time of the run.
    2. Last minute entry, very hilly course and I'd really not done enough long runs.
    3. Awful conditions, the last two miles into a 50mph headwind - literally getting nowhere.
    4. Traveled to the US for the weekend to do a HM. I think jetlag was affecting me.
    All of that has affected my confidence a bit and has meant I'm readjusting my goals accordingly. I've got Seaford HM in a week, which is over the South Downs and very hilly so I know it's just a case of getting round. Similarly I've got Wyre Forest in 3 weeks and again that's hilly, so try to finish with a smile on my face.
  • I run out of steam if I've not been eating enough.  All of a sudden I get very tired and feeling like I'm running though treacle with zero oomph and a bit shaky. Could be you just need a gel or bar before you feel the effects?
  • Big_Avo said:
    I have recently started doing half marathons (not the longest of distances) and seem to hit the wall around the same point each time. I was keeping a nice pace and then within the last few kilometers I suddenly felt that I couldn't run anymore. My muscles weren't aching, I just felt like I ran out of steam.

Is this "the wall"?

Do you think this is down to fuelling up leading up to the race?

I'm still quite the newbie and have not made any changes to my diet since I started training. On the day of the race I have a large bowl of porridge and crack on with it.

I've heard people say to carb load leading up to the race, etc but haven't a clue about that kind of thing.

Does anyone have any advice in relation to this or can point me in the right direction to what I should be doing leading up to a race?
    How far into the race is this ?

What pace are you racing at ?

What pace are you doing your long run at and how long are these runs ? 
  • > @Rick Stivens said:
    > How far into the race is this ?
    >
    > What pace are you racing at ?
    >
    > What pace are you doing your long run at and how long are these runs ? 

It's usually within the last 3 km that it happens.
    Start at a pace of 6:06, halfway through it drops to 6:32, but within the last 3 km there a more noticeable drop.

During the week I only do a about three 5 km runs, not sure of the pace but usually do it in about 26 mins. I have only ran a couple of half marathon's, but leading up to it I switch one of the 5k's to a 10k or 15k.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    So you run on average 15k per week and wonder why you're struggling at km 18 in a single run.  I would suggest adding in a bit more volume as 15k per week is too low to successfully run HM distance.