London Marathon - best place to stay for access to start

Will be running the London Marathon next April as I have a deferred entry. I am looking to book/reserve accommodation (planning a family 3 day break to coincide)

I have a shortlist of hotels but don't know logistics to get to start line

Anyway I have looked at nearest tube to the hotels, so any pointers as to which tube station from the following would be the best to get to start?
1. Monument/Bank
2.London Bridge
3.Holburn
4. Southwark
5.Waterloo

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thx

Comments

• I always get the train from Charing Cross station - its the start of the journey so best place to squeeze on. Keep the family in the hotel as the trains are too crowded.

FWIW I usually stay round Covent Garden but anywhere in Central London is good.  Then its not so long to walk to get a shower after.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Bracken, 2020 will be my 6th London and we go down as a family.

What you need is easy access to Charring Cross as opposed the actual start. I have stayed in the Premier Inn in Holborn the last few years as it is a great base for family activities as very central, a gentle 20 minute walk to Charring cross on race day (you'll be grateful of the peace and quiet of that stroll with hindsight), but equally important, it isn't too far from the finish.

This year I hopped in a taxi from the otherisde of Trafalgar Sq and it was £8 ish. Previous years I have strolled back, which took about 20 mins.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Southwark or Waterloo are well placed to get on the train from Waterloo East which takes you to Blackheath (Blue) start. I’ve stayed near Southwark tube the last 8 years and it’s very convenient 
  • BrackenBracken ✭✭✭
    Folks - Thanks for that! - Charring Cross area it is, totally makes sense.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    I've not done London but would recommend this hotel for somewhere nearish the finish.  I work next to it and have stayed there a couple of times.  One of the cheapest 5* hotels round those parts.

https://www.grangehotels.com/blogs/hotel-focus-grange-st-pauls/
  • BrackenBracken ✭✭✭
    Reserved the Premier Inn Holborn. Thx folks for advice/tips......

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Now when i go for breakfast on the Sunday morning i get to try and guess if one of the many others in the rm is you!