Feeling proud, just done my 1st ever 10 mile run

Started running less than 5 months ago and I ran my 1st ever 10 miles this morning, first 6 1/2 miles I felt pretty good lots of energy, but was running at much slower than my usual pace, the last 3 1/2 miles was much tougher, but I know that my usual pace started creeping in, but over overall 10 miles in 1hr 50, I am very pleased with.
Just wanted to tell people that would appreciate it.

Comments

• ash493ash493 ✭✭
    brilliant, well done!
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Great! Worth a celebration. Make sure that you recover well, and look out for any signs of injury.
    Are you working towards a particular event/distance?
    When/if you get round to running this route again see if you can pick a pace that you can maintain throughout. (That is only a suggestion, as it is good to know what your steady pace is over that distance. Of course it wouldn't be too clear if it was a hilly route.) You can also play around with different paces for different stages. You can also focus on 'form' or breathing, or heart rate. Just a few ideas.
    Do you run alone or with others? Hope you continue to enjoy your running.
  • Well done. Try using an energy gel maybe about 2/3 way through to give you a boost! 
  • hev34hev34 ✭✭
    > @MrM2 said:
    > Great! Worth a celebration. Make sure that you recover well, and look out for any signs of injury.
    > Are you working towards a particular event/distance?
    > When/if you get round to running this route again see if you can pick a pace that you can maintain throughout. (That is only a suggestion, as it is good to know what your steady pace is over that distance. Of course it wouldn't be too clear if it was a hilly route.) You can also play around with different paces for different stages. You can also focus on 'form' or breathing, or heart rate. Just a few ideas.
    > Do you run alone or with others? Hope you continue to enjoy your running.

I’m going to be running the GNR, with a few friends a couple of which have ran it before, but are by no means seasoned runners.
    This route had a couple of bad hills in, but also had a couple of nice descents where if I was working on time I could make up some, yesterday was just making sure I could do it, wasn’t really focused on pace, just trying not to run at what my normal pace is, which I normally average around 9 mins per mile.
    Thank you for the advice, hopefully after the GNR I start to understand a lot more about the technical side of running, I know that this is only the beginning for me, I really have got the running bug.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    hev34 - that's brilliant.   There's something really special about getting to double figures, there'll be no stopping you now :)
  • Hello. I have started a 10 mile running programme. I have completed the first week. I’m doing this on my treadmill only till weather gets cooler then I shall get back outside. I’m 61 and want to know a reasonable time on completion. Thanks
  • How did you find the great North Run? You made a great start so hopefully it went OK?
    I ran my first 10 miler 4 or 5 weeks back - doesn't it feel great! :)
  • Well done! I remember that feeling well  :)