Advice needed - marathon in 1 month

<div><div><div></div></div><div></div></div>Hi all - I was hoping I could get some advice from some seasoned runners. I am running the Thames Meander marathon on August 10th and my preparation so far has been a bit limited.

I started running around Christmas and have been running 10k minimum since then with my first half marathon coming in March. I have only been running once a week and have been gradually increasing distance up until a couple of weeks ago. I had planned to run 16 miles (which would have been my longest run) but due to time constraints ran 13 and then went on holiday for 2 weeks where I only did 10k once. Since I have returned I did 16 miles last weekend, am going out for a 3 mile run at lunch today and then planning on doing 18 miles on the weekend. After that my plan was to do 20 miles the weekend after and then it is 2 weeks before the race so will keep it light. I have done about 5 half marathons, 14 miles once and 16 miles once.

I appreciate that I dont have much time to implement much of a plan but would anyone recommend I change or add anything in the next couple of weeks? I have heard a lot about adding miles to my legs but I haven't taken that approach as wanted to avoid injury (I ran a marathon 12 years ago and was really banged up from all the running by the time I raced). I also hit the gym a couple of times a week as well which is usually HIIT or thai boxing so I am doing cardio work.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading!

Comments

• Bit late to change much now really mate - to start again at xmas then go for a marathon in August is pushing it. your plan long run wise seems ok really, leaving the last 2 weeks light - at least you will have got to 20 miles. Good luck - hope it's not too hot either!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    You can't expect to run a marathon successfully on one run a week.  I'd suggest you drop your race distance at Thames Meander to the half.   Then in the future if you want to run a marathon only plan to do so if you can train for it, but you need an absolute minimum of 3 runs a week and that is the bare minimum.  You'd have been better dropping the HIIT and Thai boxing and running instead.

But you do say you've run 5 half marathons, but do you mean the distance or actual races?