Tokyo Marathon 2020

I admit I entered the ballot for a laugh, never expecting to get in, and I've got in. Yikes! Has anyone else got in?
Tagged:

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That's great news Cal, what date is it?
  • I'm doing it, but I already had a spot - the odds are very long in the ballot!  It's on 1st March.
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Me! I also entered fully expecting not to get in, and couldn't believe I actually got a place! Dropped in here wondering if anyone would be talking about it, so it's good to find a thread already :)

It's extremely exciting - even if a rather expensive prospect! Haven't had time to think about it too much today, but I'm going to have a good look at details this evening after work. Going to have to think about how long I can afford to be there and what else could be reasonably crammed in around the marathon!
  • Shades - 1st March.

My other hobby is riding rollercoasters - I was in Japan 10 years ago doing just that. One of my rollercoaster friends is interested in joining me and hitting some parks afterwards so hoping that works out. We also have a shared love of sushi.
    I've paid the entry fee now (I opted for the shirt - not like I don't have a lot of shirts already, but a Tokyo shirt is hard to miss). Even more expensive than Vienna, which I did this year. I reckon the trip'll cost me a couple of grand all round (if I stay on for the parks, at least) but it's a once in a lifetime thing and I'd rather go to my deathbed with no regrets.
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Cal, I've just paid myself and also opted for the shirt (like you, I was not going to miss out on a Tokyo shirt, and I also love the silly/quirky design).

Like you say, it's a once in a lifetime experience - would be great if you could combine the running and rollercoaster hobbies in a trip there. I've never been to Japan before, so where to start? Doing a bit of research now and can see that a day trip to Mount Fuji looks pretty feasible - that's about as far as I've got at the moment (although I can tell I'll end up with a huge list of stuff I want to do). I've been reading a few reviews of the marathon too - everyone seems to have found it a good experience and that the support is excellent and people there are really friendly/nice. 

Cheerful Dave, have you run it before?
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

This was my first year of entering the Tokyo ballot.

I must have entered the London ballot five years in a row without being accepted (I've subsequently achieved GFA entries) but then get accepted in to Tokyo first time!

I wasn't expecting this result and am not really sure if I can go now due to various personal reasons!  Will have to think about it over the weekend!

Well done Cal and Gipfel!

Have you done Tokyo before CD?

• Gipfel/SBD - no, it'll be my first time as well.  The last of the majors, only 17 years after the first one!  A few years ago a mate and I decided that having done three of them over the years we should knock off the other three, so after Chicago last year and New York this November it'll be Tokyo in March to complete the set.  He managed to get an entry through SportsTours, I was fortunate enough to get a 'semi elite' spot that they have for overseas runners.

I've booked a hotel near the start, the same one that SportsTours use.  If transport is going to be tricky I'd rather have it after the race than before!  

Yes, I also got the t-shirt.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that date will fit in nicely if you plan to do any later Spring marathons.

Well done to all of you that got a ballot place and CD on your semi elite place, you'll have to have a RW meet up in Tokyo :)  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Dave, I'd be interested in knowing what hotel that is.
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Well, I've booked flights and a hotel now - and am starting to build up a good to-do list! After a lot of indecision about where to stay (there's so much choice), I've gone for one of the APA hotels – on a Facebook group I've joined, a lot of people who've run this before recommended this chain as decent and good value. My hotel is closer to the marathon finish than the start, but it's practically next to a metro station on one of the lines that takes you directly to the start, and there seem to be very regular trains – another thing everyone agrees on is that the transport is so good that you don't really need to worry too much if you're not staying that close to the start. The hotel also has Japanese baths, which I'm quite happy about, as I really wanted to try them, but it's much more convenient to have them in the hotel than attempting to find some public ones!

Cal, did you know that Tokyo has a parkrun? I don't usually like to run the day before a marathon, but I might have to make an exception for this one.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yes, they started that recently. Like you I usually abstain before a marathon (even though I'm a keen parkrun tourist) but the temptation is strong.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    OK I may have booked the same hotel - Nishishinjuku-Gochome-Eki tower. That the one?
  • Cal - it's the Keio Plaza hotel.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ah! Well mine has a baths too. Think I'll need it afterwards!