London 2020

Comments

• Okay, so when do you think we will receive the “Sorry, we’ve had to postpone the 2020 London Marathon” lol 😂
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The sensationalism at present is mildly irritating and is leading to mass over reaction in my view. Some winters 10k people in the UK die from seasonal flu. We don't even have 100 people in the world that have died from it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I read a statement yesterday from London Marathon just saying they are watching and reviewing the situation.

DT19 - death toll is in excess of 2,000 now

I think a lot of countries will follow Switzerland's ruling to ban events with more than 1,000 people, their ban is until 15th March.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51663493?ns_linkname=wales&ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=facebook&ns_campaign=bbc_wales_news&fbclid=IwAR3rHyn6phuKTU2_XGE-czNxXINddkEPEAdTRKUlaTgqFyx6dJJXuKa7qm4

Just been reading this. If you think you might be slower than 7.45 you'll get to start in waves 2 or 3. I see the logic as you get a head start on the sweep, but to me another ridiculous length to become inclusive!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    DT19 - I read that yesterday.   I'm impressed by the effort they've put in to make the event more inclusive and caring.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Does that mean the slowest runners will start ahead of faster runners? Never done london so dont know how the waves work.
    Biggest issue in that article is saying she ran the marathon,21min/mile is not running,its barely walking pace.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    youd have thought she could have used the extra year to try and nudge that down to sub 20mm pace.....

Yes, Shades it is good that they want to bend over so far backwards like this, whilst at the same time almost culling club places etc.

Ian, yes though i suspect there wont be anymore than about 300 people in this position, spread over 3 starts. Though, why stop there, perhaps put them all on the fgfa or champs start to give an even faster start. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't read that particular article but I read London Marathon's statement re the back of the pack plans for this year.   I can't see that any places for the back of the race affect allocation to clubs etc.   

But London is an elite race and the rest a charity run, that's what the organisers want it to be.

Ian - I haven't done London since they introduced wave starts but most people say it's still very crowded, even some of the sub 3 runners said it was crowded in places.
     If any of these back of the pack folk want to start further up I'm sure it would only be a handful of them and they've been told to start at the back of the waves so wouldn't affect most runners

this is the full article
    https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a31134200/london-marathon-back-of-the-pack-runners/

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, as per above London can absorb 300 or so runners scattered over 3 starts.

London is crowded even at just sub 3. I started on fgfa last year which was fantastic until we merged with the other starts at around the 3.05-3.10 pace. It took me to Canary Wharf to get ahead of both those 3 hour pacers and after that it was good.

• My PB is 3:11:36, (even though it was some years ago)
    I take great pride in being one among many official pacers who first raised the matter that there is about a third of the total entrants who finish after 5 hours - that is approximately 14,000 runners.  These people need more support than those interested in knocking off a few seconds to get a PB. I can still knock out a 4:00 hour marathon if I bothered but was happy pacing at 5:00 hours for a few years. Last year I was asked to pace at 5:45 and loved it. This year I am pacing at 6:00 and looking forward to helping those in need. I am sure that the organisers having had 40 years experience are doing their best to cater for everyone's aspirations given the constraints of the course and can only think of having different starts for different paces as something not yet tried (apart from the Green start).
     I always recall my first attempts when I was absolutely rubbish when I tried longer distances - despite having a 30:14 PB for 10,000m.
    With over 160 marathons (including the Six Star Marathon Majors and 35 Londons) behind me I really want to help those starting out and therefore feel sad when I read some of the messages.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    I can completely understand people wanting to 'run' London. It seems to be far easier, in my limited experience, to encourage people to sponsor you when you are doing a major event such as London. However, on the other hand, masses of my friends train for hours and hours over the winter to make sure they can complete a marathon running. 21mins a mile pace is walking, it's less than 3 miles an hour! I totally agree Harmander, given the drain on the NHS of obesity, encouraging people to just move is fantastic, but most cut offs are under seven hours. 
  • Inclusive is all well and good but a marathon is a run, not a walk. Pretending otherwise is an insult to those who do put the effort in.
  • Not arguing with any of the above but hopefully they will get faster in future - if they continue.
    My missus tried to stop me running after I retired the world's oldest marathoner - she has since started parkruns - her first attempt was 1 hour 3 minutes, her PB now is 39 minutes.  Only runs once a week and now on 220 parkruns.
    Slowly but surely.
    Incidentally, I run Barking Parkrun (about 2 miles from home) she runs Valentines Parkrun (635m away) because she couldn't stand my 'nagging'.
    I invariably return home before she does.
    I can't complain as I cannot cook.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Rodeoflip, as someone in a roughly similar position to Harmander, i.e.lots of marathons run (not as many but hey) and a PB of 3:03 I can quite see what you mean re a run not a walk.

BUT, this the "London" we're talking about and its just not the same as other runs, see Shades opinion. For any club/keen runner there are loads of low key marathons out there where they can run their little socks off going for PBs

However, to the great british public there's only one marathon, London, and that's where they want to "run" and feel part of the spectacle, even if it takes them 6hours+ and good luck to them and I defend their right to do so.

• AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Harmander Singh 2, could you tell me what your pace per mile is expected to be? I seriously think I’m going to need to join a group that will get me around, thanks
  • I do wonder that if a decision is made to cancel London, how long it will take to announce it.
    Some charities rely heavily on monies raised from the marathon, they will be the losers in this.
    Of course if the government announce a blanket ban of events over x number of participants, then that's that... London could reduce numbers same as Tokyo, and run just elites. 
    I've exceeded my £2k fundraising target, but will source an alternative event so I can run a marathon on behalf of those who sponsored me.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    They wont do it lightly. i think it'll need to be government led. All we can do is plough on. 

I've my eye on some options just in case. Newport and Peterborough are week before and much smaller so unlikely to be cancelled. 
  • Yeah, I guess it will be pretty similar to the stance France has taken. 
    Half marathon cancelled, yet only after all participants had crammed in to the expo to get their race packs. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I found this bizarre, everyone had travelled to Paris, done the expo then probably spent Saturday night in bars drinking. At the same time all Ligue A games went ahead including 47k watching paris st germain and top level rugby. Makes no sense to me to have cancelled an event that takes place outdoors. 
  • AliT100 ,
    I know what pace I have been asked to in VLM - it is 6 hours. That is 13 minutes 43 seconds a mile or or 8 minutes 31 seconds every Km.
    I was pacing for a 3 hour finish at the Big Half today. The text message said I did it in 3:00:00.  The corrected results said 2:59:57.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

senidM, I get that, and it's a pity that everyone who wants to can't take part.

But the numbers just aren't viable, so rather than excluding those who've put the time and effort in to be there on merit, if you can't let everyone in, then why not restrict it on the basis of how much people actually want / deserve to be there?

There are real runners out there who can't get a place because they're given to walkers who can't or won't put the effort in to train properly. Just doesn't seem right.

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Sorry Rodeoflip, see your point, but never going to happen.

And once again, sorry, but if you really have put the effort in, GFA, is not unobtainable, just not easy!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

I know. London marathon seems desperate to be PC and all-inclusive, which is all very laudable. It's just a shame that the UK's biggest and most prestigious marathon is less about running and more about charity and political correctness. Having said that, I'll still be there next month.

And you're right re GFA - not easy, but if you really want to run London, not impossible, just need to put the effort in.

• AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Harmander, hopefully I’ll be able to keep that pace up with you! At family gathering Saturday managed to fall and break radius and metatarsal bones in right wrist, so no strenuous training for next four weeks, hopefully what’s been done and power walking will be enough to get me around with you 😉
  • BBC News article today "Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said there were currently no plans to postpone the London Marathon nor to restrict public transport."
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Yes, but the key word there is 'currently'. If come 10th April, there is a mass outbreak in London, they'll pull it if they think it will aide public health. It would be a ridiculous over reaction to just pull it now.

A lot are asking what will happen to places. The VMLM terms state that charity places will be returned to the charity and other places will be refunded. Probably would cause a lot  of upset to those lucky enough to grab a ballot place who would much rather be automatically entered into next year i'm sure.

I am looking at lower key back ups. On the same day as London, local to me is the stratford upon Avon mara. Entries for that close on 22 April.

• AliT100, it will be my pleasure - although we have to see if we are starting from the same colour.  I am currently booked for Red Start.

PeteM77, yes great news, although I intend to run the course on the day regardless - the Rebel Run.
  • DT19,

There are two others on the same day.

London Rejects  and I can't believe its not London.

Details at the link below.

https://www.apex-sports.co.uk/document/item-64-2017-18-uk-marathon-listing
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Harminder, thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

So this morning I watched Matt Hancock interviewed on bbc breakfast and he was specifically asked about London and said that as things stood there were no plans to cancel London or any other mass events. Then I see an article from the metro on fb with the headline 'London Marathon could be cancelled because of coronavirus, Matt Hancock warns'!!!

My concern is that if the media make enough fuss about this it will become a self fulfilling headline.

• DT19,

'....it will become a self fulfilling headline.'

Dunning Kruger effect methinks